News Flanagan offered to Super League clubs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
A number of Super League clubs are thought to be considering a move for Kyle Flanagan after the NRL halfback was made available.

Rugby League Live can reveal the halfback has been made available to several clubs in the competition as he looks to get his career back on track.

The 22-year-old has suffered a tumultuous period of his career, struggling to make a struggling Canterbury Bulldogs side slumped at the bottom of the NRL.

Once regarded as one of the world's brightest prospects, Canterbury are now willing to cut ties with the playmaker, and pay a significant portion of his wage to accommodate a move to Super League.

That has left several clubs considering whether to make a move for the youngster, who joined Canterbury after just one year with Sydney Roosters, who did not offer him a new deal.

Flanagan played the opening nine games of the current campaign but was hooked by coach Trent Barrett during a defeat to St George. He was subsequently dropped for the next six games before being recalled, but was soon dropped again.

With his NRL career struggling, a move to Super League could be used to rebuild his career.

A number of clubs are on the lookout for halfbacks, including Castleford Tigers, Salford Red Devils and Wigan Warriors. Catalans Dragons could be another potential suitor, with both James Maloney and Josh Drinkwater off-contract.

Flanagan would have no issue obtaining a visa given his regular appearances in the NRL.

Despite his young age he has made 40 NRL appearances to date.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to super league get some confidence then come back cause sorry you had 9 games to show your way but IMO he probably is good just severely down on confidence .. especially being that young

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Beneficial for both parties I think.
It totally makes sense. He might go OK in England, build his game and confidence at a different level to NRL and come back in a couple of years more mature and experienced eg: Jackson Hastings. We’ll have him partially on the books for 2 years but it allows both parties to get on with the future. I wish the kid well.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here, I knew this would happen, pretty sure i predicted a couple of days ago Baz will punt Flanno and Wakeman for Lewis + new halfback.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Being offered to clubs is still a way off actually going so I still think it’s likely he will be here next year. The big money in the Super League is long gone and I doubt he will get much more than at the Dogs.

If I was Kyle I’d stay at the Dogs he has the security of another 2 years and you’d back yourself to get back in form and get the halfback spot when it’s wide open which is rare in first grade side either here or in England. In saying that I hope he goes but I don’t think it’s a certainty at all.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It totally makes sense. He might go OK in England, build his game and confidence at a different level to NRL and come back in a couple of years more mature and experienced eg: Jackson Hastings. We’ll have him partially on the books for 2 years but it allows both parties to get on with the future. I wish the kid well.
He will mature as a man. We all grow and learn from our younger thoughts and think how the hell was I like that? Sometimes losing is the best thing to happen to you

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being offered to clubs is still a way off actually going so I still think it’s likely he will be here next year. The big money in the Super League is long gone and I doubt he will get much more than at the Dogs.

If I was Kyle I’d stay at the Dogs he has the security of another 2 years and you’d back yourself to get back in form and get the halfback spot when it’s wide open which is rare in first grade side either here or in England. In saying that I hope he goes but I don’t think it’s a certainty at all.
He will be on the same money mate. We will probably pay $200k for the next 2 years so they get him for $250k which is good business for them.

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think it is a win win situation for the Dogs and an ESL team. We can get his salary off our books if we released him at the end of this year. We use some of that money to re-sign BBO and add the remaining money to bring in another established superstar.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If Flanagan is humble enough or realistic enough to accept that this is the best move for his career and he might come back a better player, then it's win/win for him and us.

If he keeps insisting he's a starting NRL half, then it will be hard to move him without paying 100k or so in freight. Unless Shane Flanagan gets a job of course, then he'll take Kyle off our hands.

Malla

Reaction score
If Flanagan is humble enough or realistic enough to accept that this is the best move for his career and he might come back a better player, then it's win/win for him and us.

If he keeps insisting he's a starting NRL half, then it will be hard to move him without paying 100k or so in freight. Unless Shane Flanagan gets a job of course, then he'll take Kyle off our hands.
Exactly how he should look at it but I don't think he is humble enough. Growing up being told he is king shit and playing on all those rep teams and getting his first grade crack because of his dad has finally caught up to him.

Make no mistake he has the talent, but this is clearly an attitude thing. It's why Sharks were happy to let him go and why the Roosters dropped him after barely a year.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to super league get some confidence then come back cause sorry you had 9 games to show your way but IMO he probably is good just severely down on confidence .. especially being that young
Kids young. Been at 3 clubs already and now being offered to SL.
I hope your right and is able to come back to Aus and shows us all how good he can be.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Exactly how he should look at it but I don't think he is humble enough. Growing up being told he is king shit and playing on all those rep teams and getting his first grade crack because of his dad has finally caught up to him.

Make no mistake he has the talent, but this is clearly an attitude thing. It's why Sharks were happy to let him go and why the Roosters dropped him after barely a year.
I agree with the attitude part and him being a bit delusional because he was always told he was the man so it's hard for him to accept reality.

I don't think he was ever that talented or skillful though. If he went to England, he might find some confidence and come back a different player. It all depends on how hard he's willing to work and well he can handle pressure.