News Flanagan offered to Super League clubs

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I know exactly what he said and my honest opinion is it was stupid. There was no need to bring Cleary’s name into it at all. He called a presser and paraded the kid like a marquee signing. 10 rounds onto the season he was out of favour. If you can’t see that made Trent look like an idiot, there’s no hope for you... lol

And what did you expect Flanagan to say when asked by the media if he felt pressure? Yes, I feel a lot of pressure, it was a bit stupid if my new coach to say that?. Sure the vote of confidence would have given him a bit of a lift in the short term... but when the reality of just how tough the job of steering this team was going to be, the unrealistic expectations Trent put on him would have weighed heavier and heavier on him week by week. Thsts his pressure works. It builds and it builds. The weight of certain words linger and grow heavier. There’s a big difference between showing confidence in a young player and over pumping his tyres.

Barrett should have never signed Flanagan and asked him to steer this team. I gave the signing the benefit of the doubt at the time and took the optimistic approach because I had faith in what Trent was doing. Turns out I was wrong. Trent made the wrong call.

When Barrett did make the decision to sign Flanagan, he shouldn’t have done so with so much fanfare.

He certainly shouldn’t have used him as a media pawn, naming him
In the team and waffling on to the media about how he had full confidence in him and he could handle the pressure. How do you think Flanagan would have felt watching his coach say all these complimentary things, knowing full well they weren’t true and he wouldn’t even be playing? The kid must have felt totally humiliated. Of all the mistakes I think Barrett made with Flanagan, this is the hardest to forgive. The others were at least well intentioned.

Barrett’s management of Flanagan has been shockingly bad. That’s how I feel. I’m not going to waste any more time arguing with you about it, because you’re not going to change your mind and I’m im sure as hell not either.... but I think you’re just being tribal here. You love the club and can’t stand Flanagan, so you close your eyes and cover your ears to the obvious truth which is staring you in the face. Just like the majority of members of this forum.
Are you upset with just the way Barrett has treated him OR

Are you upset with the way Barrett has treated him and because of the way Barrett has treated him, Barrett has ruined Kyle's potential/development/ability?

ricko_29

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He can dump as many inside balls to a plodder as he wants over there, they'd probably think it's ravishing play over there...

• Haha
Reactions: GDR

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
This is the thing no one is saying.
Barret is touted as some master attacking coach by some.
He was also a half in the NRL for ten plus years.

why can’t he lift Kyle up!? What kind of a coach can’t improve a player with some talent in the same position he played himself?
That is the definition of coaching.
Or are we just going to utilise Barrett recruitment pull? Which I guess is ok but it worries me he hasn’t shown the ability to improve players.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Are you upset with just the way Barrett has treated him OR

Are you upset with the way Barrett has treated him and because of the way Barrett has treated him, Barrett has ruined Kyle's potential/development/ability?
No it’s a little of both. I’m definitely not giving Kyle a free pass .... obviously he has to take accountability for his own performances too and they have not been good enough. Realistically I can see he was never the right option for us. But I do think he has potential and Trent hasn’t helped him. He’s not ready to be a dominant half in a team yet.... maybe not first grade ready at all.... some players develop later than others. Look at Cody Walker. Some never realise their potential enough to succeed in first grade....

As far as Barrett goes, I want him to succeed, I really do. I just don’t like the way he has handled Flanagan (or Corey Allan for that matter, although not to the same extent) . I feel he is not confident enough or consistent enough in his plans or the team’s direction and that sends confusing messages to players.

I do think Gus will help him with that though.... and any young coach needs support and guidance. So I do still think he could work out for us.

regardless of Flanagan’s ability, or personality, I just feel the way he has been managed has not been a good Look for the club.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
No it’s a little of both. I’m definitely not giving Kyle a free pass .... obviously he has to take accountability for his own performances too and they have not been good enough. Realistically I can see he was never the right option for us. But I do think he has potential and Trent hasn’t helped him. He’s not ready to be a dominant half in a team yet.... maybe not first grade ready at all.... some players develop later than others. Look at Cody Walker. Some never realise their potential enough to succeed in first grade....

As far as Barrett goes, I want him to succeed, I really do. I just don’t like the way he has handled Flanagan (or Corey Allan for that matter, although not to the same extent) . I feel he is not confident enough or consistent enough in his plans or the team’s direction and that sends confusing messages to players.

I do think Gus will help him with that though.... and any young coach needs support and guidance. So I do still think he could work out for us.

regardless of Flanagan’s ability, or personality, I just feel the way he has been managed has not been a good Look for the club.
This was Barrett’s stupidity in putting two kids tiger the in our halves. I clearly highlighted this pre season.
Burton would have been not much better.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A number of Super League clubs are thought to be considering a move for Kyle Flanagan after the NRL halfback was made available.

Rugby League Live can reveal the halfback has been made available to several clubs in the competition as he looks to get his career back on track.

The 22-year-old has suffered a tumultuous period of his career, struggling to make a struggling Canterbury Bulldogs side slumped at the bottom of the NRL.

Once regarded as one of the world's brightest prospects, Canterbury are now willing to cut ties with the playmaker, and pay a significant portion of his wage to accommodate a move to Super League.

That has left several clubs considering whether to make a move for the youngster, who joined Canterbury after just one year with Sydney Roosters, who did not offer him a new deal.

Flanagan played the opening nine games of the current campaign but was hooked by coach Trent Barrett during a defeat to St George. He was subsequently dropped for the next six games before being recalled, but was soon dropped again.

With his NRL career struggling, a move to Super League could be used to rebuild his career.

A number of clubs are on the lookout for halfbacks, including Castleford Tigers, Salford Red Devils and Wigan Warriors. Catalans Dragons could be another potential suitor, with both James Maloney and Josh Drinkwater off-contract.

Flanagan would have no issue obtaining a visa given his regular appearances in the NRL.

Despite his young age he has made 40 NRL appearances to date.

I may be a poor judge of tallent and I have only seen Flanno when playing for us, I watch very little of other games and then only bits here and their.
What i have seen of flanno dosent apeal at all. If i could give an opinion I would say that he is a player who has been nurtured looked after from a very young age, his father would have been a big part of it, just like a boxer who has had all his opponents hand picked for him, and has managed to get along with the big boys, probably with a fair bit of promotion and hype. But when the provibial hit the fan he was found wanting badly.
At his time with us I haven't seen 1 single play which indicates he has ability which could be developed, perhaps other posters on TK have seen something which could be developed..
Avo who replaced him has some detracters on here and although he is not playing well at present does have a few traits such as running and kicking

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

why can’t he lift Kyle up!? What kind of a coach can’t improve a player with some talent in the same position he played himself?
Or are we just going to utilise Barrett recruitment pull? Which I guess is ok but it worries me he hasn’t shown the ability to improve players.
What talent does Flanagan have? Like, what is he good at?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
precision kicks, backing up, competent tackling. Does the basics right but thats it.
Whatever baz saw in him he should hve backed himself as a coach to fix him

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Well we'll never agree then because I never thought he had much talent after watching him in 2020 with a back to back premiership team and being coached by Cooper Cronk.

And the way I see it, Baz gave him more than enough support and more than enough chances to cement his spot.

Kyle had the grandfinal chance against the dogs in reserve grade and blew it.

Kyle was given the keys to the back to back champions and blew it

And the fact that Baz said he was the senior half at the bulldogs cannot be nit picked at because frankly he was the senior half at our club.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
If you think he’s totally devoid of talent, surely you have to question why he was signed in the first place and presented by Baz as the solution.... I think he does have talent. He’s shown glimpses of it. 3 try assists in round 1vs knights. But I don’t think he is ready to do the job that was asked of him.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
This was Barrett’s stupidity in putting two kids tiger the in our halves. I clearly highlighted this pre season.
Burton would have been not much better.
I agree with you. We need experience there. That’s why I really don’t want to see Burton and avo next year.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Well we'll never agree then because I never thought he had much talent after watching him in 2020 with a back to back premiership team and being coached by Cooper Cronk.

And the way I see it, Baz gave him more than enough support and more than enough chances to cement his spot.

Kyle had the grandfinal chance against the dogs in reserve grade and blew it.

Kyle was given the keys to the back to back champions and blew it

And the fact that Baz said he was the senior half at the bulldogs cannot be nit picked at because frankly he was the senior half at our club.
If that’s the way you feel, then according to your own criteria, you should blame Baz, tbh. He’s the bloke that signed him and touted him as the solution. Nobody here is trying to argue he was the solution. But baz made that mistake/ commitment and failing to back his own judgment just made him look stupid. Naming him and talking him up to the media, knowing full well he had no intention of playing him is what I find the hardest to fathom. It just made him look cruel snd petty ...and I don’t believe baz is that type of character. I think the pressure has been getting to him.

Cody Walker didn’t blossom until his mid 20s. Who here is in a position to say Flanagan won’t develop the tools later in his career? He was a well regarded junior and has already shown glimpses.

Anyway, you’re probably tight. We’ll never agree. I just don’t get how you can absolve Baz of responsibility when he made the decision to sign Kyle and entrust such a difficult task to him. I still believe we missed a big opportunity to sign benji (or Adam Reynolds this year)

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If that’s the way you feel, then according to your own criteria, you should blame Baz, tbh. He’s the bloke that signed him and touted him as the solution. Nobody here is trying to argue he was the solution. But baz made that mistake/ commitment and failing to back his own judgment just made him look stupid. Naming him and talking him up to the media, knowing full well he had no intention of playing him is what I find the hardest to fathom. It just made him look cruel snd petty ...and I don’t believe baz is that type of character. I think the pressure has been getting to him.

Cody Walker didn’t blossom until his mid 20s. Who here is in a position to say Flanagan won’t develop the tools later in his career? He was a well regarded junior and has already shown glimpses.

Anyway, you’re probably tight. We’ll never agree. I just don’t get how you can absolve Baz of responsibility when he made the decision to sign Kyle and entrust such a difficult task to him. I still believe we missed a big opportunity to sign benji (or Adam Reynolds this year)
But I don't absolve him of blame for bad recruitment. I don't believe Kyle should ever have been signed nor that he was better than what we already had at the club. I was of the preference of sticking it out with what we had and waiting until someone good on the market was available.

So I do blame barrett for not being able to identify talent or in this case identify he wasn't talent.

But as far as my expectations of a coach supporting his player as long as possible, until hard choices had to be made and at the same time having to deal with media vultures without letting the situation blow up, I think he did what was required.

Reactions: GDR

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
But I don't absolve him of blame for bad recruitment. I don't believe Kyle should ever have been signed nor that he was better than what we already had at the club. I was of the preference of sticking it out with what we had and waiting until someone good on the market was available.

So I do blame barrett for not being able to identify talent or in this case identify he wasn't talent.

But as far as my expectations of a coach supporting his player as long as possible, until hard choices had to be made and at the same time having to deal with media vultures without letting the situation blow up, I think he did what was required.
You honestly think it was required for him to make Flanagan against the roosters, talk him up to the media and then not play him? What purpose did that serve?

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Too late Nasheed, I've already spruiked that one!

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You honestly think it was required for him to make Flanagan against the roosters, talk him up to the media and then not play him? What purpose did that serve?
Inner sanctum???

You don't know what happened behind the scenes.

UndeadShadowMan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are we giving up on him too soon? I've seen him play good games in the past for the Roosters & game 1 for us