Opinion Fittler as coach?

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paying overs is what attracts good players to teams that are bottom of the ladder. Who is coach is way down the list.

The best coach is someone that can get the most out of average players. I don’t see Fittler as anywhere near an NRL level coach. Being an Origin coach is easy compared with the day in day grind of an NRL coach.
Can you tell that to Kev Walters.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
There's no doubt that the noise from supporters to remove Barrett was instrumental in him being moved on. Baz never settled into the job, and once Gould took the whistle the writing was on the wall.
You can pontificate all you like about fans don't get to make big decisions, but in a members club, rather than a private club, the members do rule.
Gould is employed by us. Yes he's a whale in the NRL, but he still works for us.
The Board know how fans feel, crikey they are bailed up enough by fans to realise what the feeling in the room is. Not 1 board member would have any doubt about how members would feel about appointing Fittler as coach.
Gould has been to many clubs since he left us in the late 80's, early 90's, after securing the 1988 premiership in his rookie coaching year, while we members and supporters have followed just 1 team since this time. We understand that Gould has grown close to Fittler over the years, spending time together at Penrith, Origin and the Roosters. But Gould hasn't been with the Dogs for many a year.
Unquestionably then, we have invested far more emotionally into the Club since the early 90's than Gould has. We've watched standards fall after Folksey left, we saw the success Hasler achieved, then the quick demise when he couldn't keep the shed together and ignored the pathways. 2012 and 2014 seem like distant memories to supporters.
An appointment of Fittler would be fraught with danger for the Board as many fans would death ride him. The same fans would be more patient with Flanagan, he's heavily favoured by fans as he's already achieved a major rebuild of a club in his reportiore.
So again, Gould is the Director of Football, he's not the owner of the Club. His role extends across all aspects of Football. He doesn't decide who the Coach shall be, he recommends a coach to the Board, who can agree or disagree with him.
The Board need to read the room when they consider who our next coach should be. Their position on the Board depends on it.

Jabba

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think Slater comprehensively out maneuvered Fittler in all aspects of the game.
Even with the QLD injuries he managed the team very well. Fittlers use of the bench was abysmal as well.
He did out manoeuvre- spot on mate

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't mind Madge as an option. He'd be hungry, and have much better players at his disposal.

I think Brown will end up here doing something, what exactly I am not sure. He'd be good in pathways or something similar.

Plus the cleansing aura of having the bloke that slapped Barrett come through the place could be good for karmic energy
12th, 9th, 11th, 13th, 13th.. Those are Madges last 5 years as coach. The first one was with Souths.. If we get him I'd be furious. We haven't made the finals for 6 years. We can't hire a coach that hasn't made the finals in 5 years and who's teams have gotten worse every year..

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
12th, 9th, 11th, 13th, 13th.. Those are Madges last 5 years as coach. The first one was with Souths.. If we get him I'd be furious. We haven't made the finals for 6 years. We can't hire a coach that hasn't made the finals in 5 years and who's teams have gotten worse every year..
Yeh maybe. Do we have options and a choice though? Who do u want?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeh maybe. Do we have options and a choice though? Who do u want?
I'd want Woolf. He has experience in SL and with Tonga. Has been an assistant and coached a few games in the NRL before.. It'd be a gamble but I'd rather someone with upside than someone who's recent record is as bad as Madge's.

Craystar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I take it comprehension wasn't a strong suit when you were at school........Where did I say Fittler was better than Flanno, Madge & Green or even Robinson.

What I did say was that Fittler wasn't my first choice as coach but I preferred him over the other coaches NOT because I think he is better than them but he would be a better fit with Gus working behind the scenes. I'd be happy to see us string a few wins together at the back half of this season and give Potter a go full time, for next year at least, he's played and bled for the club. If not Ciraldo would be my preferred option but Penrith aren't keen to let him go just yet.

While those other coaches have each one a GF with their respective clubs, they all fell from grace very quickly after those GF wins and Madge and Green left well before their contracts were finished based on very poor results and also falling out with a LOT of the players.

I hadn't seen Robinson in any discussion until I saw someone mention his name earlier and anyway it's ludicrous to even mention him as he's extended his contract with the Rorters until the end of 2028. So we can take his name out of discussions.
Are you twin turbos twin?