Opinion Fill in the blanks for 2023

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need a 1 and 7 badly or it's gonna be 2022 in repeat. Our spine is looking fantastic except for fullback and halfback.

1. ?
Matt Burton
7. ?
Reed Mahoney
13. Tevita Pangai Junior
When did lock become a spine position??

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
When did the spine become the spine? It has now become a vogue word, but its usage in this manner is fairly recent. We used to talk about "key" players, meaning those players who had their hands on the ball the most, and therefore had the biggest influence on the game. Your ideal lock is an eighty minute player with a big motor, who handles the ball a lot. If you have a player like that in your team, he is part of the spine.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I have always had a lock in my spine discussions, a very important position at the very core of offense and defense.

The winning teams have almost always had a quality lock, from Raper to Coote, Clyde, Pearce, Dymock, Taumalolo and Yeo, would Penrith be as good as they are without him.

Always a Bulldog

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I think Ciraldo will go with
1. Averillo
2. JAC
3. Schoupp
4. Burns
5. Kiraz
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. TPJ (Sutton or Thompson might start instead)
11. Kikau
12. RFM
13. Jackson

14. Allan/Davey
15. Thompson
16. Sutton
17. Waddell/Davey

I'd have one of Alamoti/Skelton in the centres over Burns, BBO at 7, Perham/Toia at 14 (I like outside back coverage on the bench, I think we've signed Perham? Not sure if he's top 30) and Topine at 17.
BBO did his ACL late season in Reggie's will not be available until very late in the year. Flanagan only option unless we bring someone in.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When did the spine become the spine? It has now become a vogue word, but its usage in this manner is fairly recent. We used to talk about "key" players, meaning those players who had their hands on the ball the most, and therefore had the biggest influence on the game. Your ideal lock is an eighty minute player with a big motor, who handles the ball a lot. If you have a player like that in your team, he is part of the spine.
The term ‘spine’ was coined by commentators to describe the Melbourne Storms success at the time they were killing it with Slater, Smith and Cronk in their prime. The term caught fire and has been heavily used since.

Mal_Z

Waterboy
Reaction score
1. ?
2. Kiraz
3. Skelton
4. Casey
5. The Fox
6. Burton
7. ?
8. TPJ
9. Mahoney
10. King
11. Kikau
12. RFM
13. Jackson
14. Fa'amamu Brown/BBO
15. Waddell
16. Thompson
17. Pele

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this will be close.

Jake Averillo
2. Jacob Kiraz
3. Jeral Skelton
4. Aaron Schoupp
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Matt Burton
7. Kyle Flanagan

8. Luke Thompson
9. Reed Mahoney
10. Max King
11. Villiame Kikau
12. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
13. Josh Jackson

14. Josh Reynolds / ZDC (Would have been BBO but suffered ACL injury)
15. Ryan Sutton
16. Tevita Pangai Junior
17. Corey Waddell

18. Andrew Davey
19. Chris Patolo
20. Braidon Burns

Last edited:

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're not wrong, but you are. The lock isn't considered a spine player even if that's what you consider them. Though they probably should be based on the way the term was originally coined and how a majority of the good teams currently use them. What if you have a ball playing front rower? They become the spine too. Modern day rugby league every position is important in their own way and the evolution of how positions are played tend to change reasonably rapidly.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You're not wrong, but you are. The lock isn't considered a spine player even if that's what you consider them. Though they probably should be based on the way the term was originally coined and how a majority of the good teams currently use them. What if you have a ball playing front rower? They become the spine too. Modern day rugby league every position is important in their own way and the evolution of how positions are played tend to change reasonably rapidly.
Honestly only Yeo, Murray and probably Radley are the only genuine ballplaying locks imo, the rest are just ball distributers and quite a few forwards are capable of playing this role in the NRL especially with some nice short balls between forwards.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
1. Averillo
2. Addo-Carr
3. Schoupp
4. Burns
5. Kiraz
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. Pangai Junior
11. Kikau
12. Waddell
13. Faitala-Mariner

14. Jackson
15. Thompson
16. Sutton
17. Davey

On field trainer: Josh Reynolds

Coach: Ciraldo

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The term ‘spine’ was coined by commentators to describe the Melbourne Storms success at the time they were killing it with Slater, Smith and Cronk in their prime. The term caught fire and has been heavily used since.
The term "spine" has been around forever.

Agree it gets mentioned a lot more by the media these days, but it has always been spoken about by footy people.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Averillo
2. Addo-Carr
3. Schoupp
4. Burns
5. Kiraz
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. Pangai Junior
11. Kikau
12. Waddell
13. Faitala-Mariner

14. Jackson
15. Thompson
16. Sutton
17. Davey

On field trainer: Josh Reynolds

Coach: Ciraldo
Lol Burns in the centres

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its depressing that everybody has Flanno at 7. FMD we cant go into a new season with no hope again

If we dont get Sullivan, can Rhajab play 7? Looked impressive in NSW Cup. Maybe with a good offseason he can step up and have a shot at 7

Our centres are a massive concern if we're going with Burns or Schoup

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its depressing that everybody has Flanno at 7. FMD we cant go into a new season with no hope again

If we dont get Sullivan, can Rhajab play 7? Looked impressive in NSW Cup. Maybe with a good offseason he can step up and have a shot at 7

Our centres are a massive concern if we're going with Burns or Schoup
Not too long ago Gus said we have 25 players in the roster and $800k to spend on 5 more players, so unless we clear the unwanted but expensive players we can not add any supper stars this season.
Considering the positives and negatives of each individual in the squad including rumoured signings...
I believe comes round 1, the team will look like this`.
Starting 17
1 Avirello
2 JAC
3 Allan
4 Skelton
5 Kiraz
6 Burton
7 Flanagan
8 King
9 Maloney
10 TPJ
11 Kikau
12 Jackson
13 Thompson
14 Topine
15 Sutton
16 Davey
17 RFM

Reserves
1 Toia
2 Okunbor
3 Alamoti
4 Casey
5 Burns
6 Reynolds
7 BBO
8 Patolo
9 Brown ???
10 Suemanufagai
11 Schoupp
12 Waddell
13 Edwards
14 Pele
There are also emerging young talents to be reckoned with !

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not too long ago Gus said we have 25 players in the roster and $800k to spend on 5 more players, so unless we clear the unwanted but expensive players we can not add any supper stars this season.
Considering the positives and negatives of each individual in the squad including rumoured signings...
I believe comes round 1, the team will look like this`.
Starting 17
1 Avirello
2 JAC
3 Allan
4 Skelton
5 Kiraz
6 Burton
7 Flanagan
8 King
9 Maloney
10 TPJ
11 Kikau
12 Jackson
13 Thompson
14 Topine
15 Sutton
16 Davey
17 RFM

Reserves
1 Toia
2 Okunbor
3 Alamoti
4 Casey
5 Burns
6 Reynolds
7 BBO
8 Patolo
9 Brown ???
10 Suemanufagai
11 Schoupp
12 Waddell
13 Edwards
14 Pele
There are also emerging young talents to be reckoned with !
I think Skelton is a long way from an NRL start. He couldn’t crack the NSW Cup side to finish the year. I think he has a lot of education to work on over the off-season.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think Skelton is a long way from an NRL start. He couldn’t crack the NSW Cup side to finish the year. I think he has a lot of education to work on over the off-season.
At season's end I thought he was injured, also I am probably hoping he would make it since I was very disappointed with all our centres.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Averillo
Kiraz
Alamoti
Schoupp
Fox
Burton
Flanagan
Thompson
Mahoney
Sutton
Jackson
Kikau
TPJ

Topine
King
RFM
Pele

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At season's end I thought he was injured, also I am probably hoping he would make it since I was very disappointed with all our centres.
Agree with being disappointed with the centre’s. I really would have liked to see Schoupp get a run in the back row for a few games at the end of the season. ( on the right edge)

With a left side of:
JAC
Kikau
Burton
The left centre doesn’t need to be the million dollar centre. But the do need to have the ability to hit a hole & promote the ball. Schoupp’s lack of a passing game could really stifle the effectiveness on what should be a lethal left side.

There are clearly short comings on the right edge next season. This would have been a good opportunity to trial him there late in the season.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree with being disappointed with the centre’s. I really would have liked to see Schoupp get a run in the back row for a few games at the end of the season. ( on the right edge)

With a left side of:
JAC
Kikau
Burton
The left centre doesn’t need to be the million dollar centre. But the do need to have the ability to hit a hole & promote the ball. Schoupp’s lack of a passing game could really stifle the effectiveness on what should be a lethal left side.

There are clearly short comings on the right edge next season. This would have been a good opportunity to trial him there late in the season.
Has Kiraz played left centre before ?
He could be the solution for that left edge.
As for Schoupp, he could possibly become the right winger where he doesn't have to do too much other than run hard and tackle hard, otherwise back-row will have to do for him !