Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Patolo had 52min last week...2 runs for a total of 14 metres

He has atleast another year in cup
Because he played on an edge and not in the middle. Looked solid in round 1 before his concussion but he will be in and out of the team this season.

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone please explain the thought process of the following;

For the entire offseason Barrett had Jake Averillo training at halfback

The first 2 rounds Jake was playing halfback and than dropped him in Round 3 to cup, bringing in Wakeham and Schoupp

So Come round 4 now, Barrett drops a centre in Schoupp and also overlooks 2 other centres from cup whoever they are.

He dropped Averillo last week as he wasn't cutting the mustard playing halfback, to go and play halfback in cup and than brings him back a week later to play centre in first grade

Am i missing something?
Yeah you’re missing the fact you never attended one training session and have no idea what different combinations they trained for.

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

The first 2 rounds Jake was playing halfback and than dropped him in Round 3 to cup, bringing in Wakeham and Schoupp

So Come round 4 now, Barrett drops a centre in Schoupp and also overlooks 2 other centres from cup whoever they are.

He dropped Averillo last week as he wasn't cutting the mustard playing halfback, to go and play halfback in cup and than brings him back a week later to play centre in first grade

Am i missing something?
I think Averillo in the centres could be also due to what was said in another thread if it true that Schoupp was dropped due to a off field indiscretion we really don't have much depth in the outside backs and can't use outside the top 30 till round 11 or unless covid hits the squad we have currently unavailable in the outside backs no Allen no Alamoti no katoa due to injury and Jayden who isn't playing well enough . theres word Hoffman could debut off the bench but he been playing backrow so Averillo in the centres makes sense.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's decided to uncomplicate the complicated.

Play the bloke in the centres where he played most of his junior career

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surely we didn't spend the whole off season training with only one option in each position. They would've practised different options and formations, at least to cover possible injuries and suspensions even if they didn't think form would be an issue so early. I agree giving up on Avo at half after 2 games seemed premature, but it's not as if the players don't know the position's they're now in and haven't trained in them.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I gave him the benefit of the doubt. As I do with my mostly optimistic nature, HOWEVER.. he can fuck off too. Sick of the same shit coaches year after year! Should have got flanno as coach when we had the chance. Would have been playing a damn sight better than what we have been after 4 rounds, his experience is far superior than Trent’s!!

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think centre is potentially Avos best position but the coaching decision to invest a whole season and pre season into him at half only to drop him after two games is fkn madness. I hope Avo kills it today. I think it has been hard on him, Baz tried to turn him into a player he wasn't and he didn't have the skill set to match. Even more difficult in an underperforming team. Hopefully, he cements his spot in the centres

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I think centre is potentially Avos best position but the coaching decision to invest a whole season and pre season into him at half only to drop him after two games is fkn madness. I hope Avo kills it today. I think it has been hard on him, Baz tried to turn him into a player he wasn't and he didn't have the skill set to match. Even more difficult in an underperforming team. Hopefully, he cements his spot in the centres
Hes played his best footy at centre

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have issues playing players where they are suited and best fit, my concern is that what's with the changes now. He's had a entire off season to work this out.
Yep but blokes might be training completely different to how they play.

I don’t have too many issues with the changes given we have a completely different side almost

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not to mention Averillo was 5/8th in NSW Cup. So he's played 3 positions in both grades in the space of 4 weeks... You could give tonnes of other examples of players changing positions and playing out of position regularly since Baz took over.

The players would be frustrated and confused with constant changes like these. Then the team and combinations can't gel either. It's hard to make sense of most of Baz's decisions..
Yep, the first point is the sorest with me. If Avo is a half at all it’s always been my view that it’s 5/8th but Barrett used him constantly last year at 7 with the one track view he would partner Burton.

Centre, wing or possibly fullback appear to be Jakes best options as he just doesn’t stay involved or take ownership of our attack to play in the halves. However, the pattern after just 3 games to shuffle the deck in key positions shows Barrett is clutching hard…

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Am i missing something?
Finally...Averillo comes the full circle.
A great mind of the game said...:tonguewink:
I told you once I told you twice and now I am telling you for the third time he is not a halfback !!!
He can be a 5/8 but is believed to be a suspect under the high ball !
Now, it's up to him to work on his defence to cement that first grade centre position !!!

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
He thinks Avetillo has something to offer, trying to find use for him after he was underwhelming in the halves. Rather he try shit that run out failing combinations longer than necessary like Des did. Funny ppl calling for Baz to be gone already. The thought hasn't crossed my mind once yet.