Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I think Morris has a right to be in the convo
People forget about how good he was. Played 15 Origin games and 6 tests. Our best centre/wing every season for the 10 years that he was here.

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A great thread! Love the conversation and the passion ....
Peter Tunks and Steve Price would have to be close for starting Props.
I also rated Tony Currie.
Darren Smith for utility bench spot.
Ewan McGrady can’t go ahead of Mortimer, but I was a fan.
Again he wouldn’t beat Dymock, but Greg Eastwood wasn’t shabby!

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
These were the teams that we as a forum selected as the greatest for the past 2 decades:

2000-2009:

01. Luke Patten
02. Hazem El-Masri (k)
03. Nigel Vagana
04. Willie Tonga
05. Matt Utai
06. Braith Anasta
07. Brent Sherwin
08. Mark O'Meley
09. Corey Hughes
10. Steve Price (c)
11. Sonny Bill Williams
12. Willie Mason
13. ReniMaitua

14. Johnathan Thurston
15. Travis Norton
16. Andrew Ryan
17. Roy Asotasi

Coach: Steve Folkes

2010-2019:

01. Ben Barba
02. Curtis Rona
03. William Hopoate
04. Josh Morris
05. Brett Morris
06. Josh Reynolds
07. Brett Kimmorley
08. James Graham
09. Michael Ennis (c)(k)
10. David Klemmer
11. Josh Jackson
12. Frank Pritchard
13. Greg Eastwood

14. David Stagg
15. Dale Finucane
16. Aiden Tolman
17. Sam Kasiano

Coach: Des Hasler

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
These were the teams that we as a forum selected as the greatest for the past 2 decades:

2000-2009:

01. Luke Patten
02. Hazem El-Masri (k)
03. Nigel Vagana
04. Willie Tonga
05. Matt Utai
06. Braith Anasta
07. Brent Sherwin
08. Mark O'Meley
09. Corey Hughes
10. Steve Price (c)
11. Sonny Bill Williams
12. Willie Mason
13. ReniMaitua

14. Johnathan Thurston
15. Travis Norton
16. Andrew Ryan
17. Roy Asotasi

Coach: Steve Folkes

2010-2019:

01. Ben Barba
02. Curtis Rona
03. William Hopoate
04. Josh Morris
05. Brett Morris
06. Josh Reynolds
07. Brett Kimmorley
08. James Graham
09. Michael Ennis (c)(k)
10. David Klemmer
11. Josh Jackson
12. Frank Pritchard
13. Greg Eastwood

14. David Stagg
15. Dale Finucane
16. Aiden Tolman
17. Sam Kasiano

Coach: Des Hasler
Shit! Forgot Pritchard... see what I mean!
We had some serious talent here

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
I take your point
im not arguing against you though, im arguing against the people who think its a joke that el masri is included

im going to shoot down all the wingers who pop up because I think they all cant match up to el masri even though his stats are pumped up by the team he played in

A

Alexander the Great

No one comes close to el magic. Stats don't lie.
im not arguing against you though, im arguing against the people who think its a joke that el masri is included

im going to shoot down all the wingers who pop up because I think they all cant match up to el masri even though his stats are pumped up by the team he played in

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score

Pumped up is the word.

you don't realise how dangerous a game you have entered.

the plot twist is I compare other dominant teams who have 42 points in a season plus.

results may shock you

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

El Masri’s legacy needs no proving to anyone. He was a talent who got THE BEST out of his ability for a long period. He’d be a justified selection

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Pumped up is the word.

you don't realise how dangerous a game you have entered.

the plot twist is I compare other dominant teams who have 42 points in a season plus.

results may shock you
bring on the wingers, even 70% of el masri stats is better than anything you got

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Les johns club legend before my time as a kid loved bretnall then potter after him winger take your pick Anderson O’Brien didn’t mind Goodwin gearin Peter Mortimer centre’s c Mortimer farrar Connolly mullane Currie d Smith centre is hard one to pick lamb and Mortimer easy forwards too many too hard I’d go folkes Gillespie langmack tunks Britt John Coveny battese Ryan mason dymock hooker hetherington no disrespect to peponis it’s hard picking a dogs greatest ever especially for fans we got our faves and our eras

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before you guys hammer me I know left a few out elmagic the general sbw ogre etc

hotdogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Nigel vagana was the best centre i have seen .always a threat and dynamic and exciting try scorer .
He has to be in the team for mine even at expense of josh morris who i rate quality as well.
Omeley would be before james graham in my opinion .
Fullback never seen les johns but jonothan davies was great but patten was a hero.
Great debate and could pick 2 or 3 teams .

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Drop Josh Morris and put Chris Anderson on the wing
I wonder how many games he ever played on the wing? You cant pick smeone out of position in the best team of all time. Either they were the best in their position, or they dont make the team.
Steve price makes this team ahead of Graham IMO.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Most of you jokers on this forum would not have seen Les Johns play. Absolute genius. The equal of Lamb and Turvey at the very least. It annoys me greatly when great players of the past get overlooked for best ever teams and players of far less calibre get picked instead. Same when people refer to Billy Slater as the best fullback ever when best fullback in the modern era is a more apt description. Ennis in his selected team shows he has a brain.
I had the privilege of watching Johns play in the unlimited and limited tackle games - back when there were no full time professional players. He was a standout.
I would have liked to see Kevin Ryan in the team - he was the toughest forward we've ever had - bar none. He hurt players when he tackled them, and they didn't want to come back for more.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I had the privilege of watching Johns play in the unlimited and limited tackle games - back when there were no full time professional players. He was a standout.
I would have liked to see Kevin Ryan in the team - he was the toughest forward we've ever had - bar none. He hurt players when he tackled them, and they didn't want to come back for more.
Not just hard as nails, he played super smart, the last captain/coach, turned us into a genuine premiership contender in one year. Became a solicitor, then Queens Council and an MP.

Go Dogs

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not just hard as nails, he played super smart, the last captain/coach, turned us into a genuine premiership contender in one year. Became a solicitor, then Queens Council and an MP.

Go Dogs
He was hard. He hurt players with his tackling style. He had his own gym, back when clubs didn't have such things. It was in his garage, and he worked weights every chance he got. He had a style of tackling from behind, and slamming his fist into players' solar plexus which knocked the wind out of them.

A very dedicated, and smart man.

I think Gus Gould was our last captain/coach; and he won a GF for us in that role.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
You’re testing my memory, I think Gould stopped playing for us in 1985 and didn’t coach until 1988. Could be wrong.

Go Dogs
You're right. At my age, memories become entangled. I just Googled him, and he coached us after he stopped playing. In fact, he only played 14 games for the Dogs.