News 'Embarrassing': Bulldogs coach, skipper scathing of performance after Magic Round thriller

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A penalty try awarded with three minutes left on the clock saw the Bulldogs take their Magic Round clash with the Raiders to the death on Friday night.

But as Canterbury coach Cameron Ciraldo and co-captain Reed Mahoney addressed the press after the Bulldogs lost by only four points with an injury-ravaged side, they reserved few words of positivity.

Rather, Ciraldo and Mahoney were scathing of the side's performance following a wild 34-30 defeat at Suncorp Stadium.

"I thought the scoreboard flattered us," Ciraldo said.

"The fact that we still had a chance to win it at the end there — we didn't deserve that.

"And we didn't really nail it at the end, either, when we did have a chance.

"I thought the Raiders were a much better side than us. They outcompeted us in every area and we just didn't stick to the plan, the style of game we wanted to play. We were so far away from it. That was right from the first whistle.

"So, really disappointed."

The Raiders scored a try through Jordan Rapana only 60-odd seconds into the game, when a cluster of Bulldogs players did nothing but watch the Canberra winger gobble up a Jamal Fogarty high ball and crash over.

Canberra piled on three tries in only six minutes midway through the opening half.

Like the Rapana try, four-pointers chalked up by Matthew Timoko and Hudson Young came incredibly easily.

"People not doing their job — that's what it comes down to ... To come out and start the game the way we did was terrible," Ciraldo said.

"We just completely missed the jump," Mahoney added.

"We scored plenty of points. If you put 30 (points) on the board you should be able to win the game.

Start of that game, (for them) to score in the first set (was) pretty embarrassing. And then to go again, twice in a row, (was) simply not good enough. So, we need to change that as soon as possible.

"We were still in it, (which) is a good thing, but NRL standard ... That first 25 minutes was just not appropriate."

Bulldogs fullback Hayze Perham was awarded a penalty try in the 77th minute after Raiders prop Ata Mariota tackled him without the ball a couple of metres out from the try-line.

On the back of a scrum, centre Paul Alamoti chipped over the Raiders defence, halfback Matt Burton pounced on the ball and, with two defenders hanging off him, the playmaker flicked the footy to Perham.

Mariota then thumped into Perham from behind when the former Eel and Warrior was not in possession of the ball, prompting the referee to deem that he would have scored if not for the Canberra front-rower's illegal move.

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart objected to two disallowed Canberra tries late in the game: an Emre Guler try that was deemed to have come off a forward pass by Jack Wighton, and a Xavier Savage four-pointer scored on the back of a Wighton knock-on — off his melon.

But the Canberra mentor had no issue with Canterbury's penalty try.

"If it was me I'd be wanting a penalty try, too," Stuart said.

"I think the decision was correct."

Stuart applauded his side's performance in the Magic Round opener.

"Respectively, I thought we were a far better team tonight," Stuart said.

"You always try to work a team into a situation where you can come home and get them.

"It's hard, it's tough, (referee) Chris (Sutton) has got a tough job as a ref, but two tries I thought were tries tonight, which shows that we were the superior team."

The Bulldogs will meet the Warriors at Sydney Olympic Park in round 11, while the Raiders, who collected their fourth win in succession on Friday night, will face the Eels in Canberra.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. Keeps talking about educating players what it takes to be a bulldog yet we defend like poodles.

We hire the panthers offensive coach at the time they had the best offence in the NRL. We then end up with the worst offense in the NRL.

We then hire their defensive coach and end up with the worst defence in the NRL

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My post mortem analysis

1) first set of defence set tone the whole game

2) Olapau predominantly is the only one that knows how to lieg tackle

3) bulldogs, all heart and no tackle

4) when is the club going to stop spending big money and blowing up our salary cap with middle forwards that never play

5) Mat Burton we love you but some of you missed tackles where to soft

6)Ciraldo extremely pissed and nailed all his words without turds,changes next week surely?

7)Huge positive to be well beaten and still be in the game in the end.

8) how to Win again?-
Simple bring back the mongrel and leg tackle and first sets like last night won’t happen again,all about setting the game tempo in defence.

Still angry we lost crucial 2 pts

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yet they are forgetting the Raiders were ripped of 2 legitimate tries. Loss should have been 12+

bells76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We have too many players that offer absolutely nothing , King played busted as did Kiraz , Alo had an off night but he's a kid and that has to be expected. RFM couldn't bruise a grape , how the fuck he keeps getting picked never mind getting contracts kills me . The strip when we got ourselves back in the game killed us. Casey how in the hell is even near the side he has been shit every time he gets an opportunity.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Two pretenders sitting up there blaming everyone else
We just completely missed the jump," Mahoney added.

I heard plenty of "we", not "they" or "them" in Mahony's comments:

"We scored plenty of points. If you put 30 (points) on the board you should be able to win the game.

Start of that game, (for them) to score in the first set (was) pretty embarrassing. And then to go again, twice in a row, (was) simply not good enough. So, we need to change that as soon as possible.

"We were still in it, (which) is a good thing, but NRL standard ... That first 25 minutes was just not appropriate."

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Well done coach for saying it how it is, but next time throw in a little fuck your ref and goodnight.
Obviously we did a lot ourselves to lose that game with shocking effort defence and options.

Fatigue a major factor as we are too small but we also have absolutely no ability to change momentum and the refs dont help that with a fair bit of one way penalising. There were opportunities for a good ref to penalise Raiders in ptb areas but we got nothing.

Also. . ok its our team and we're biased. We are a loser club atm ....but gee could we get the bounce of the ball at least once or twice even!. They say you make your own luck but gee Its uncanny how we just can't get an even break of luck go our way as something for the guys to build on.

It's always catch up footy needed to be played and that rarely goes well.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Obviously we did a lot ourselves to lose that game with shocking effort defence and options.

Fatigue a major factor as we are too small but we also have absolutely no ability to change momentum and the refs dont help that with a fair bit of one way penalising. There were opportunities for a good ref to penalise Raiders in ptb areas but we got nothing.

Also. . ok its our team and we're biased. We are a loser club atm ....but gee could we get the bounce of the ball at least once or twice even!. They say you make your own luck but gee Its uncanny how we just can't get an even break of luck go our way as something for the guys to build on.

It's always catch up footy needed to be played and that rarely goes well.
What beats us most times is the amount of possession our opponents seem to enjoy, for long periods when the game is in the balance.

The easy metres they receive when we have them pinned down and get penalised, followed by one or two repeat sets beats us every time. This is followed by us being pinned down, losing the ball, or forced to kick to an uncontested fullback, when the same infringements that saw the opposition awarded a penalty are not granted to us.

Lost balls in the tackle always seem to be knock ons for the Dogs, and penalties if it's the other team.

This happens every game. It is toughening us up, and we can now play for the full 80 minutes. So unlike previous years.

Given a fair share of the ball, and a fully fit team, we can be a force in this game.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
What beats us most times is the amount of possession our opponents seem to enjoy, for long periods when the game is in the balance.

The easy metres they receive when we have them pinned down and get penalised, followed by one or two repeat sets beats us every time. This is followed by us being pinned down, losing the ball, or forced to kick to an uncontested fullback, when the same infringements that saw the opposition awarded a penalty are not granted to us.

Lost balls in the tackle always seem to be knock ons for the Dogs, and penalties if it's the other team.

This happens every game. It is toughening us up, and we can now play for the full 80 minutes. So unlike previous years.

Given a fair share of the ball, and a fully fit team, we can be a force in this game.
Good summary.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mate we get dominated in the middle most games. It’s a by product of the fact that our 2 highly paid props , being TPJ and Thompson, either don’t play or underperform when they do play.

Until we get at least 1 elite prop this will continue to happen

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
My post mortem analysis

1) first set of defence set tone the whole game

2) Olapau predominantly is the only one that knows how to lieg tackle

3) bulldogs, all heart and no tackle

4) when is the club going to stop spending big money and blowing up our salary cap with middle forwards that never play

5) Mat Burton we love you but some of you missed tackles where to soft

6)Ciraldo extremely pissed and nailed all his words without turds,changes next week surely?

7)Huge positive to be well beaten and still be in the game in the end.

8) how to Win again?-
Simple bring back the mongrel and leg tackle and first sets like last night won’t happen again,all about setting the game tempo in defence.

Still angry we lost crucial 2 pts
Im involved in junior league not many kids do the leg tackle,most don’t even know how to pass,all coaches care about is winning the game

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score

Sometimes I feel it's like watching an action replay - only our opponents are wearing different jerseys each time.

You summed it up perfectly and it kills me watching the same sequence as we spiral downwards.

The second Canberra try was it?

Step 1: RFM has ball stripped on first tackle in an excellent attacking position about 30m out from Canberra's line.

Step 2: We concede a penalty.

Step 3: Canberra long kick for touch. We are then back defending our own 30

Step 4: our heads go down

Step 5: Concede a six again (or two six agains). Back defending our tryline

Step 6: Canberra try.

It sh*ts me to death watching that same fkn sequence or a slight variation of it unfold time after time

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first 2 minutes of the match set the tone for the rest of the 80 and summed up our whole performance. Canberra strolled down the field and they couldn’t put Horsbruh on the ground ffs. Then Alamoti, Casey etc look clueless, letting them catch the ball unchallenged to score. Pretty much the story of our night in defence.

All they should be doing at training is fixing the defence ffs. It’s so pathetic. When you score 30 points you should be winning the fkn game! Perham’s attempt at catching the bomb was also shit. Several other defensive efforts were too. Timoko try? More like, “here have 4 points mate”.

What really shits me is that Canberra played their best game I’ve seen this season. I thought our young players would lift for the opening of magic round, but instead it was some of Canberra‘s veterans like Rapana and Young that were on fire. I had us as favourites last night but even at our best, Canberra would’ve been hard to beat in that form. They were much tougher than I’ve seen in other games this year, but we were still in a position to win amazingly. Purely off some ridiculous attacking plays.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

My exact same observations week in, week out. Drives me nuts.