Electric vs petrol cars

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I miss the 1970's models vehicles.
When I was a kid they were my favourite to ride in.
So spacious and it is as safe as riding in a tank.

I asked my mate which model his Valiant is?
He said it's the CL 1976, last ever year they produced it.

He is game still driving it around the city and parking!
Older cars have a real charm to them far more engaging to drive. I’ve done the drive from Sydney to Gold Coast many many times. I’ve driving new petrol cars and they were boring, cruise control and hold the wheel, try not to fall asleep..

but I once took a mid 80s 5 speed manual Nissan, loud exhaust, firm suspension, dodgy set of tyres.. you were alive driving it, it felt like your doing 150km/h when your only going 110.. it was bouncing about, sliding and grumbling the whole time, laughing and giggling

the EV wouldn’t even make the trip or you would be stranded without power in bulahdelah!

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Older cars have a real charm to them far more engaging to drive. I’ve done the drive from Sydney to Gold Coast many many times. I’ve driving new petrol cars and they were boring, cruise control and hold the wheel, try not to fall asleep..

but I once took a mid 80s 5 speed manual Nissan, loud exhaust, firm suspension, dodgy set of tyres.. you were alive driving it, it felt like your doing 150km/h when your only going 110.. it was bouncing about, sliding and grumbling the whole time, laughing and giggling

the EV wouldn’t even make the trip or you would be stranded without power in bulahdelah!
I would hate to see someone crash into my friends ute.

The thing is solid like a tank and the way modern cars are built, you'd most likely write your car off if you crashed?

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

The thing is solid like a tank and the way modern cars are built, you'd most likely write your car off if you crashed?
these days a light hailstorm will decimate a new car. Panels not much thicker than tin foil. Older cars can take a bit of a beating. Need proper big hail to hurt them.

with EV being so heavy they gotta try save weight somewhere, so pressure to fit even thinner metals that maybe even a hose would dent

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

When I was young, I drove a 244 GL Volvo. That thing was built tougher than a T72 tank. No one dared cut me off 'cause they knew their vehicle wouldn't survive.

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in the early 70s I had a Corolla 1200, four speed manual. Drove that across the Nullarbor, in the days when the Eyre Highway was unsealed. Took it along fire trails, and rough country roads. It ran like a little sewing machine. Kept it serviced - even had a free service in Esperance, as the dealer was so impressed that I had the confidence to drive it from Sydney. He posted a photo of it in his dealership to show what Corollas were capable of.

I sold it to fund a trip overseas, to work in London. Still miss that little car. Unbreakable.
And it had a full size spare..

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I was young, I drove a 244 GL Volvo. That thing was built tougher than a T72 tank. No one dared cut me off 'cause they knew their vehicle wouldn't survive.
I had one of those, not the GL version. You could stand on the bonnet and it wouldn't give under your weight.
The steering was precise, without the need for power assistance. One of the best cars I've owned for long drives. Had for 17 years.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
these days a light hailstorm will decimate a new car. Panels not much thicker than tin foil. Older cars can take a bit of a beating. Need proper big hail to hurt them.

with EV being so heavy they gotta try save weight somewhere, so pressure to fit even thinner metals that maybe even a hose would dent
HQ Premier all the way, they were the days, were great on the mountain.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
They may not be able to win a drag race, or move faster than a snail, but if you dropped a nuke on one it wouldn't even scratch the paint.
When I was a kid, my mates and I had the following checklist for the worst possible drivers that needed to be avoided. I apologise to anyone who is offended by this, remember we were just kids.

1. A woman
2. Asian
3. Wearing a hat
4. Driving a Volvo

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
A mate had one when we were at uni. which was a hand me down from his parents.

It was a great car. Once transported 55 cases of beer (and we're talking late 90s when everyone drank out of bottles) from a pub to college. Another time, it did a dozen kegs. was indestructible.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Random question....

How old does a car have to be to get those classic plates?

Also, any benefits from having those plates/status, like cheaper insurance or something?

Some random bogan told me something along those lines but can't remember exactly what he was crapping on about

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Random question....

Also, any benefits from having those plates/status, like cheaper insurance or something?

Some random bogan told me something along those lines but can't remember exactly what he was crapping on about
I thought it was 25 years but can only drive too and from a car show or something. Cant use as a daily.

If no car show on that day then no insurance either.

Can you imagine the EVs in 25 years.. Everyone laughing at them for their 500kg battery and poor range.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Random question....

NSW Historic Vehicle Scheme, 30+ years old, member of a recognised club, drive to and from club events, drive to and from “servicing” and 60 days per year free use just have a log book. Costs $40 first time and $54 a year, which includes 3rd Party.

Always a Bulldog