Electric vs petrol cars

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m baffled, bemused and perplexed how someone could buy an electric car over a comparable petrol car.. to use the example Hyundai ioniq 6 over a stablemate Hyundai i30 sedan?

the ioniq 6 is apparently sold out at preorder stage, a full electric car for about $75-90k… let’s say we spend $85k to buy the ioniq 6

the Hyundai i30 sedan is similar size and performance and can be had for $30k-40k.. let’s say we spend $35k here

Let’s do the math…. Over a 10 year period of ownership to see if the electric car can gain some ground

Petrol will have better range so let’s consider running costs.. so electric is about $35 per electric charge vs petrol at about $70 per tank. Let’s say one charge / fill per week and around 400km in each. Let’s assume the ev car can maintain some sort of efficiency in its battery.

so the petrol car costs about $18k more to run over 10 years.. let’s assume petrol and electric prices remain similar

so then there is servicing, let’s assume same as both require servicing… EV may cost more for brakes and tyres where petrol car needs its oils

Before 10 years the battery in the EV will most likely to be needed to be replaced.. so factor in $15-20k for a replacement battery..

so basically the battery replacement in the EV car offsets the cost of the extra fuel of the petrol car..

resale value.. the petrol car would lose less as a percentage of its value and if initial cost of $35k might sell for $15k, the EV car costs $85k to buy and would likely be superceded technology wise which would kill resale.. let’s call it $25k resale.

so buying a EV car would burn up an extra $40k over the equivalent petrol car. Not to mention the huge inconvenience of charging an EV car and the danger of being involved in a collision and big fire risk of a crumpled battery

so why buy the electric car?? Ridiculous tree hugger people?

Last edited:

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Electric cars are a waste give me petrol car any day.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
The government needs to incentivise EV usage, instead they will start taxing petrol more heavily and force us into EVs

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
None of this is going to matter when this whole world becomes China and we are forced to live in 15 minute cities!

Call it a conspiracy? Say you won't comply?
I'll just refer to 2020-21.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The government needs to incentivise EV usage, instead they will start taxing petrol more heavily and force us into EVs
no good incentivising it, they are just too expensive to make compared to petrol, the carmakers need to become more efficient or technology advance to make them cheaper.. negates any perceived saving.

the price should be a one-to-one with a petrol car then people might consider them. These days they are double in price (or more) to a comparative petrol car, ridiculous

wound you rather a junk EV MG for $50k or a brand new Subaru forester (or WRX) for same price?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I find it hilarious that they push EVs that are charged by fossil fuelled electricity...to save the fucked up planet.

That and electricity prices keep rising.

When the biggest and worst polluters go "green" I may consider it for 5 seconds before I get in my V8.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Electric cars are great if it's only to the shops or to work and back and you can plug them in to charge overnight.
Petrol or diesel for long distances or there is no guaranteed overnight charging.

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
There is an electric charger infront of the NRMA building at sydney olympic park
and the was a person charging there car last night as we walking to the ground
i turned to my wife and said " who the fuk has an hour to sit here to charge a car, when u can just go fill up in minutes?"

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
None of this is going to matter when this whole world becomes China and we are forced to live in 15 minute cities!

Call it a conspiracy? Say you won't comply?
I'll just refer to 2020-21.
That does sound like a conspiracy.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
That does sound like a conspiracy.

These 15 Min cities are too fucking stupid to even be a conspiracy.

Just another bullshit idea that will never happen thought up by that nazi homosexual Schawb **** and his little gimp Jewish boyfriend from the WEF....

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If you have decent solar, buy it new, and you mainly just do city driving, then EV is worth it. Otherwise, probably not.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
These 15 Min cities are too fucking stupid to even be a conspiracy.

Just another bullshit idea that will never happen thought up by that nazi homosexual Schawb **** and his little gimp Jewish boyfriend from the WEF....
The 15 minute city conspiracy cracks me up. 15 minute cities exist in many countries, and their populations aren't under some control.

Just your usual nutjob conspiracies created for the gullible.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A couple of years ago, a rock musician/rapper called William something-or-other (called himself Will-I-Am because he thought it sounded cool) was invited to address the Oxford University Union on climate change. He traveled from his London hotel to Oxford in a twin rotor military style helicopter that burned a tonne of fuel per hour, He then landed in a field about a mile from the union, before removing a bicycle from the helicopter and riding the final mile on it to burnish his green credentials. He then proceeded to lecture the audience about the way their carbon footprints were destroying the earth.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The 15 minute city conspiracy cracks me up. 15 minute cities exist in many countries, and their populations aren't under some control.

Just your usual nutjob conspiracies created for the gullible.
I put it in the bigfoot/reptilian/aliens level of bullshit conspiracies.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
A couple of years ago, a rock musician/rapper called William something-or-other (called himself Will-I-Am because he thought it sounded cool) was invited to address the Oxford University Union on climate change. He traveled from his London hotel to Oxford in a twin rotor military style helicopter that burned a tonne of fuel per hour, He then landed in a field about a mile from the union, before removing a bicycle from the helicopter and riding the final mile on it to burnish his green credentials. He then proceeded to lecture the audience about the way their carbon footprints were destroying the earth.
Because we haven't got enough shit ***** that have no idea parading as experts and politicians we have to listen to "entertainment" whores.

Good luck with that...

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can kinda see hybrid variants where the electric motors take over from where a turbocharger or supercharger would be.

By that I mean using a mild hybrid to get the car off the mark, or a sudden boost of acceleration, before the petrol motor kicks in.

Several car manufacturers are doing them these days.

Personally I'm a fan of the Internal Combustion Engine. Electric cars just aren't suited to countries like Australia where there are vast distances to cover between states/regions.

Imagine trying to head up to Cooktown in a hybrid. Or across the Nullabor. Or any decent road trip really. No chance.

Plus if you have an electric car and run out of power, you're fucked. At least with a combustion engine, if you run out of fuel you can get a smal amount given to you to get to a servo.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There is an electric charger infront of the NRMA building at sydney olympic park
and the was a person charging there car last night as we walking to the ground
i turned to my wife and said " who the fuk has an hour to sit here to charge a car, when u can just go fill up in minutes?"
Is that how long it takes?