Electric vs petrol cars

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
could be 10 years or more.
Having driven EV's for 13 years I'm not confident on the 10 years. It'll take longer than that to mine the copper to make the power cables. Plus mine the graphite, nickel, aluminium, copper, manganese, cobalt, iron and lithium etc that is required to make for the EV batteries. The so called panacea of solid state batteries still require carbon, titanates, lithium in multiple forms, vanadium and other microstructural materials. Lots of mining plus processing that currently has trouble meeting the demand for mobile phone batteries, which is miniscule compared to EV batteries.

Always a Bulldog

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You can put it in cans in an emergency most up there probably do when cyclones are on the way, bit harder to store spare sparks
Actually easier, you store them in a battery they've proven they can be fully submerged actually as they live outside (Tesla batteries anyway)

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Having driven EV's for 13 years I'm not confident on the 10 years. It'll take longer than that to mine the copper to make the power cables. Plus mine the graphite, nickel, aluminium, copper, manganese, cobalt, iron and lithium etc that is required to make for the EV batteries. The so called panacea of solid state batteries still require carbon, titanates, lithium in multiple forms, vanadium and other microstructural materials. Lots of mining plus processing that currently has trouble meeting the demand for mobile phone batteries, which is miniscule compared to EV batteries.

Always a Bulldog
In 6 years all the euro brands are going electric, Chinese are already there, the same with the Koreans, the only ones lagging are the Japanese.

You won't have the option when buying a new car, American heavy duty trucks. Even then I would take a Rivian or Cybertruck any day of the week.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
In 6 years all the euro brands are going electric, Chinese are already there, the same with the Koreans, the only ones lagging are the Japanese.

You won't have the option when buying a new car, American heavy duty trucks. Even then I would take a Rivian or Cybertruck any day of the week.
I have tried towing with an EV, several times, and it’s an exercise in frustration. The range drop off is dramatic, range anxiety gets real real fast, 4 hour comfortable drives become 6 hour battles, all while paying through the nose for any decent recharging rate.

There are people who will not buy an EV because it doesn’t suite their usage patterns. If they can’t buy a new vehicle that will, then they will keep their current one. Which obviously is exactly the reverse of what is wanted.

There are things that EV’s do very well, but there are things that they are terrible at.

Always a Bulldog

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
TT you seem very knowledgeable and educated.

Let's date!

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if the kennel had a fight night, EV owners vs petrol owners, it would be a big win to the petrol fighters.. you would imagine all the EV owners to be weedy / lanky lookin blokes that are pansy’s that complain about everything, the petrol owners more ready for all circumstances if the going gets tough

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I think if the kennel had a fight night, EV owners vs petrol owners, it would be a big win to the petrol fighters.. you would imagine all the EV owners to be weedy / lanky lookin blokes that are pansy’s that complain about everything, the petrol owners more ready for all circumstances if the going gets tough
The Bankstown boys prefer turbo charged suburu and Nissan.

I reckon pigs will fly before a guy from Bankstown becomes an EV advocate?

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Power grids in many parts of Australia are running at or close to max as it is. The grid couldnt handle everyone suddenly having EVs. So its good the uptake is slow. We dont have the infrastructure to support mass use of EVs yet. Its like they invented the train before they invented tracks.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep I spot so many geeks EV owners think there doing the world a favour. No one cares losers, just focus on paying off ur crippling 60k car loan and stay quiet

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
China has just banned Tesla cars from entering their parking lots and buildings due to the fire risk.
Except..... you're wrong.

Now most people would take a moment to think and say, thats strange. BYD just took over Tesla in car sales worldwide so if they are banning Teslas why are they not banning all EVs.

But its TK. I don't have high expectations.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Except..... you're wrong.

Now most people would take a moment to think and say, thats strange. BYD just took over Tesla in car sales worldwide so if they are banning Teslas why are they not banning all EVs.

But its TK. I don't have high expectations.
This might make it simpler for you to understand.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Indeed. I posted the original article. You posted the copy article.

You said fire. You know, what you light a blunt with. Both articles said security risk as in the IT in a Tesla could collect chinese govt information. Now I've never tried to light a blunt with a computer hack before but I'm sort of guessing it ain't gunna work.

As I said. Low expectations.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Power grids in many parts of Australia are running at or close to max as it is. The grid couldnt handle everyone suddenly having EVs. So its good the uptake is slow. We dont have the infrastructure to support mass use of EVs yet. Its like they invented the train before they invented tracks.
Yeah, it's a problem. Governments always handle this stuff poorly. But it's usually due to how our democratic systems work. Liberals were pushing for minimal infrastructure. Labor come in and they're pushing for maximum infrastructure, but they don't have time to implement it before they likely get voted out. So instead they create demand.

The Labor government put in large rebates for electric vehicles, with an even bigger rebate for fleet vehicles. They attempted to create an army of cars that need EV infrastructure. Because they know that the early adopters will push for more infrastructure regardless of who is in power. It's the classic sales tactic. Like when Nestle gave powdered milk to starving Africans, then offered to sell them clean water so they could use the powdered milk. It's smart marketing. Create the demand before the supply.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah... no. This is my current wheelhouse. I have worked many jobs, but my current one is a job as security engineer/advisor, so I'm well aware of this stuff. It has nothing to do with fires. It's about data security and espionage.

There's an ongoing intelligence war that doesn't really make front page news. The basics of it is that China used its policies to take control of parts of Chinese companies with access to data (Huawei, Dahua, Hikvision), basically anyone that has data connections that could link to governments. It was all pretty devious at the time, but all of these companies suddenly had backdoors into the systems. Keep in mind that while Huawei has little penetration in the US, Hikvision and Dahua are two very large security providers. 80% of US (and Australian) government buildings had CCTV from those providers. And those providers were partly owned by the Chinese government, and Chinese military. Basically... every Australian and US government building became vulnerable over night. And not just government. These cameras are in over 70% of buildings in Australia. The Chinese military proved how lax our security protocols are.

The US replied with their own systems. And while there's no evidence of it, there's rumours that the US government have planted spy equipment in US made electric vehicles.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
But again. This has nothing at all to do with fires, or EV danger. It has to do with cold war bullshit that China and the US have had going for a long time.