Electric vs petrol cars

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is this so hard to understand?
when you quote statistics that draw on all ICE fires (even adjusted for sales volume) you’re comparing cars that could be 60yo, more poorly maintained and easier to steal, against cars that can’t even be 10yo, are still in the warranty period and are nearly impossible to steal.
You make perfect sense.. most people get it but @Doogie is a special crossbreed that dogs his heels in, no matter how far fetched his story is and then on referendum day gets egg gets cracked over his head and he goes
Missing for a month.. he won’t face the music when proven wrong..

We Let time Pass and these EVs will
Unravel themselves and he will once again have egg on his face, go missing for a month..

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
You make perfect sense.. most people get it but @Doogie is a special crossbreed that dogs his heels in, no matter how far fetched his story is and then on referendum day gets egg gets cracked over his head and he goes
Missing for a month.. he won’t face the music when proven wrong..

We Let time Pass and these EVs will
Unravel themselves and he will once again have egg on his face, go missing for a month..
Still no evidence? Been over 20mins. Shouldn't be that difficult to find something. You seemed so confident.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
well that’s if the EV can last 5 days to the weekend.. be crossing your fingers and toes come Friday or maybe even Thursday or Wednesday for some.

my neighbour is a cheap bastard, I’m sure if you met him you would agree. He even has an electric mower :grinning:

You make a point that if an EV suits your patterns… it’s more like you have to suit the EV patterns. A petrol car is far more versatile and suits your needs not the other way round
The average commute is ~40km a day (mine is 52km), ~200km a week (260 km in my case), which is well within the range of pretty much every EV, especially in the city stop start traffic. That‘s a lot of people that EV’s suite, it’s also a lot of people that EV’s don’t suite. Horses for courses.

i don’t have a battery powered lawn mower, or leaf blower or line trimmer as they wouldn’t suite my usage patterns. But I do have plenty of battery powered tools, hedger, drill, rattle gun, angle grinder, linisher, wrench, etc because they do suite.

i think I have made it totally clear that EV’s don’t suite my own usage patterns, plus my other preferences in regards to noise, handling, manoeuvrability, braking, towing and load carrying capability. But I also recognise that EV’s do suite plenty of other people, that’s their decision to make.

What I do strongly object to is being forced into an EV by draconian government intervention, taxes, tolls, levies etc. Fortunately in Australia we don’t have the same overly zealous, harsh and severe measures forcing people into unsuitable EV’s. Let’s hope it stays that way.

Always a Bulldog

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
well we know I was right about the yes voice referendum and you argued for a good 180 pages… finished with egg lathered all over your face… I suspect pattern emerging

Your silly facts are based off EV that have been around 5 minutes, have any completed warranty yet? So it’s not yet the time to be cherry picking rubbish stats (as the egg on face will come)… so far EVs have shown to be less efficient, less cost effective, less convenient.. the early adopters like you will enjoy the ailments..

in 10 years the rest of us might buy them when they sort all the problems and be a genuine alternative to petrol cars
Yep. She posts some rubbish when stoned and is proven wrong so posts essay length replies about dribble trying to sound intelligent and bamboozle the reader but in actual fact you’re just so bored by the posts you can’t be bothered arguing. The forum was so much better without her yet she obsesses over me being banned & points that out to the mods at every opportunity hahaha

Last edited:

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So we going with the stolen car argument like @Blue_boost with no evidence to back it up?

Just show me anything, some stats from somewhere that shows you get less than 25 ICE fires/100k vehicles sold. Or that ICE fires are all burnouts. Anything at all.
Bro. Please. Even anecdotally, when have you ever seen a car burned out that wasn’t taped off as a crime scene?
Another thing that often gets overlooked is when these fires start.
generally in ICE car will catch fire in operation, which may seem worse, but in reality it will give you warning. The car will miss, cutout, stop altogether or you’ll see smoke. But EV’s, they’re more likely to catch fire while charging, in your garage, under your bedroom, while your sleeping.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The average commute is ~40km a day (mine is 52km), ~200km a week (260 km in my case), which is well within the range of pretty much every EV, especially in the city stop start traffic. That‘s a lot of people that EV’s suite, it’s also a lot of people that EV’s don’t suite. Horses for courses.
You have a point here. And John Cadogan has pointed this out consistently, we have the wrong kind of EV’s in Australia.
considering how large Australia is and the prevalence of road tripping in this country, most people are using their main car as double duty and it’s also their holiday/towing vehicle. If they want more of us in EV’s, they should be making smaller lighter EV’s with less range that cost the same as a cheap runabout around $20-30k, so people can have it as their daily.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still no evidence? Been over 20mins. Shouldn't be that difficult to find something. You seemed so confident.

Took me 10 seconds… checkmate

Last edited:

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Bro. Please. Even anecdotally, when have you ever seen a car burned out that wasn’t taped off as a crime scene?
Another thing that often gets overlooked is when these fires start.
generally in ICE car will catch fire in operation, which may seem worse, but in reality it will give you warning. The car will miss, cutout, stop altogether or you’ll see smoke. But EV’s, they’re more likely to catch fire while charging, in your garage, under your bedroom, while your sleeping.
So no stats then. Seen plenty of ICE cars on fire over the years and universally on highways. With the owners just up the road talking to the police or the car already burnt out waiting for a tow. Unless you're suggesting crims burn out cars on major highways.

But using your logic, I've never seen a EV fire with my own eyes. Therefore it cannot happen. Your way of doing things is so much easier.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score

Took me 10 seconds… checkmate
So which one says EV fires are more likely to occur than ICE fires? From what i can tell none and only the third quotes back the same EV firesafe report thats been quoted at you a few times. And it says the opposite.

Do u actually know how to play chess?

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the key takeaways from this thread

1. EVs are overall more costly to buy and run
2. EVs are inconvenient with poor range and high charging times
3. EVs have a catastrophic fire risk
4. EVs are no fun to drive, no driver engagement
5. Early adopters of EVs (or any technologies) are imbeciles
6. There are unknown hidden costs with EVs ie battery replacement resale values
7. Insurance companies will sting buyers of EVs

Answer: buy a petrol car until the EV technology catches up.. we are a good 10 years away

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score

Answer: buy a petrol car until the EV technology catches up.. we are a good 10 years away
8. Mark Twain was right.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So which one says EV fires are more likely to occur than ICE fires?
No one is saying they’re more likely to occur.
You’re claiming that EV fires are hundreds of times less likely to occur and we’re calling bullshit.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
No one is saying they’re more likely to occur.
You’re claiming that EV fires are hundreds of times less likely to occur and we’re calling bullshit.
Good 4 u. Take that up with the Dept of Defence EV firesafe group. Spreading propaganda - how dare they....

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Agree with all of that. Latest news is that shipping companies are talking about not shipping EV vehicles because of the fire risk to the ship.