Electric vs petrol cars

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, now for some hard facts.. I took a performance EV for a very hard run today.. not the fairy bread models, but a high end performance model.

the good…

the acceleration was ferocious.. 0-100 in between 3-4 seconds… at least for the first few pulls…

the bad…

just a few minutes of beating up on it it lost 63km range, I would have travelled 4-5km max. If I kept beating on it for another 10-15mins, the owner may have been stranded :grinning:

the power wasn’t consistent, the last few pulls were with significantlyreduced acceleration, either due to battery heat or battery level.. definitely slowed up.

the brakes was really being worked hard. Smelling really bad, as it gets up pace quickly but also needs to pull up a 2+ tonne plus car from good speed.

conclusion

I’d still take even an average petrol performance car over it. Petrol performance is waaaaay more accomplished, more rounded and more character and fun, even if it’s ultimately slower in a straight line

I didn’t really drive the car around sedately (for very long anyway) so above is not about daily driving it.

Last edited:

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
I don’t know any EV drivers who have been able to record any meaningful drop off in range due to battery degradation. Most people move their new cars on towards the end of the warranty period and/or lease, The complication factor in the mechanicals and electronics in modern ICEV’s makes them expensive to repair, so it’s not just EV’s that get moved on.

Battery degradation doesn’t really affect the performance, power limiting is more related to heat, not % of battery charge. I got a Tesla S to crawl mode in 7 laps (20 km) at Eastern Creek, battery overheat started limiting power at 6 laps then 1 lap later it went into limp home mode. Took about an hour to cool down. By that time of course the brakes were totally shot, and the tyres had turned to mush.

Weight is relative, for their size EV’s are heavier than equivalent ICEV’s, like a Tesla 3 is the size of a BMW 3 series but weighs much the same as a 5 Series (~2 tonnes). My experience is that an EV’s weight is an issue in handling, ride and manoeuvrability but it’s not the main factor. It’s that EV’s are totally engineered around prolonging their range, so they have minimised suspension geometry, low levels of caster, no toe, low rolling resistance narrow tyres, zero downforce etc, all to lower the drag and extend the range. Their exaggerated low CoG also causes some issues, due to the heavy battery pack being located low but the cabin having to have a high roof to give passenger space. Despite the low CoG they have weight up high, it exaggerates the body motion.

Always a Bulldog
So we can look forward to coughing up higher rates for the extra damage heavy ev's cause on roads and less survivable car accidents. Imagine getting plowed by a 3 tonne hatchback.
Ron Jeremy's Co stars would know the feeling

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Ok, now for some hard facts.. I took a performance EV for a very hard run today.. not the fairy bread models, but a high end performance model.

the good…

the acceleration was ferocious.. 0-100 in between 3-4 seconds… at least for the first few pulls…

the bad…

just a few minutes of beating up on it it lost 63km range, I would have travelled 4-5km max. If I kept beating on it for another 10-15mins, the owner may have been stranded :grinning:

the power wasn’t consistent, the last few pulls were with significantlyreduced acceleration, either due to battery heat or battery level.. definitely slowed up.

the brakes was really being worked hard. Smelling really bad, as it gets up pace quickly but also needs to pull up a 2+ tonne plus car from good speed.

conclusion

I’d still take even an average petrol performance car over it. Petrol performance is waaaaay more accomplished, more rounded and more character and fun, even if it’s ultimately slower in a straight line

I didn’t really drive the car around sedately (for very long anyway) so above is not about daily driving it.
So if you were to go full throttle with an EV at most times, you will be doing just as much damage to the environment as a petrol car?

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if you were to go full throttle with an EV at most times, you will be doing just as much damage to the environment as a petrol car?
if I had driven the EV hard for a good 20 mins it would have been a dead flat battery.. stranded.. so cannot have fun in them.. maybe one acceleration run here and there and only when completely charged up. So need to drive it like a fairy to get any decent range.. the performance numbers are basically marketing hype.. they cannot sustain the performance for any reasonable time.. Range anxiety is real.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score

the good…

the bad…

conclusion

So you spent Xmas Day driving an performance EV - no brand names - just a performance EV. You then gave it a flogging 0-100. Guessing a highway and you were doing this on double demerits with cops everywhere. Unless you were flogging 0-100 on Xmas day in suburban streets with kids and families around. In which case someone needs to give you a flogging.

#FakePittie2.0

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you spent Xmas Day driving an performance EV - no brand names - just a performance EV. You then gave it a flogging 0-100. Guessing a highway and you were doing this on double demerits with cops everywhere. Unless you were flogging 0-100 on Xmas day in suburban streets with kids and families around. In which case someone needs to give you a flogging.

#FakePittie2.0
lots of assumptions you make.. just @Doogie being @Doogie, it was a proper performance EV with a 0-100 well under 4 seconds, unlike your fairy bread Volvo EV.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
lots of assumptions you make.. just @Doogie being @Doogie, it was a proper performance EV with a 0-100 well under 4 seconds, unlike your fairy bread Volvo EV.
Most people would be specific about what they are driving, you drop the name of your shitbox all the time but this is some anonymous EV? Its not like I'm asking for a photo (although I'm sure if I did you'd post a photo of a power point).

And your speed test - had to drive somewhere.

Thats the problem with you, all these big mother hood statements but the details seem to be non existent. Which brings one back to the same old conclusion....

#FakePittie2.0

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Everything he says as a negative could easily be applied to an ICE car. A GTR won't even let you do more than 4 launches close together (if the gearbox doesn't break) to let it cool down. You ever notice how the fuel economy goes on an ICE goes when you drive it hard? why wouldn't you expect a battery to behave the same if asked to pump out max power.

Who the drives a car like that daily? You keep coming up with these BS scenarios to make your point. You haven't done your twice-yearly trip to Melbourne story for a while to say how must faster you are going to get there. :-)

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Everything he says as a negative could easily be applied to an ICE car. A GTR won't even let you do more than 4 launches close together (if the gearbox doesn't break) to let it cool down. You ever notice how the fuel economy goes on an ICE goes when you drive it hard? why wouldn't you expect a battery to behave the same if asked to pump out max power.

Who the drives a car like that daily? You keep coming up with these BS scenarios to make your point. You haven't done your twice-yearly trip to Melbourne story for a while to say how must faster you are going to get there. :-)
Who drives a car like that daily? A Hyundai I30 owner because they couldn't give a fck if it breaks down. Its going to breakdown anyway.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think You and your brother @Doogie often miss the point.. well he usually does.. he dont like the outcomes and he attacks the test etc. I do my tests from the drivers seat, @Doogie goes looking for Wikipedia :grinning:

I have reason not to name the car, goes back to how I had the car etc... let’s just have it safe to say it’s a 0-100 well less than 4 seconds.. well quicker than @Doogie tin can volvo.. my tests gave honest conclusions

To make it clearer to you buffoons is that these EV cars are marketed as 0-100, they state the torque and power and how fast it can accelerate, but it just cannot sustain this performance for any reasonable amount of time that any enthusiast would demand.. the EV car would do 1-2 laps of a track and be out of battery, that’s how quick they deplete and heat under full throttle acceleration.. start counting backwoods from 350, that’s how quick the range depleted under full throttle. So only good for a Bunnings dad that wants one or two runs from a set of lights

a petrol car drives using its full advertised power and torque consistently from a full tank to empty.. (a proper performance car).

Anyone who knows cars, who actually drives them rather than reads Wikipedia will tell you the EV performance car is nowhere near there yet, petrol cars waaaaaay more accomplished .

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
if I had driven the EV hard for a good 20 mins it would have been a dead flat battery.. stranded.. so cannot have fun in them.. maybe one acceleration run here and there and only when completely charged up. So need to drive it like a fairy to get any decent range.. the performance numbers are basically marketing hype.. they cannot sustain the performance for any reasonable time.. Range anxiety is real.
If I drove a performance car (EV or ICEV) truly hard for 20 minutes, anywhere but on a racetrack, there’s a pretty good chance I’d be in jail for some time. As previously posted it took me that time on a race track 5 years ago in a Tesla S, more recent models would take slightly longer as they have better battery cooling.

I have driven EV’s on some pretty decent “driving roads” (Kangaroo Valley, Brown Mt, NE HWay Tamworth to Armidale, National Park at midnight, etc etc). I could easily reduce the driving range by 20-30% and that’s with some fairly liberal speed limit interpretations and often more than doubling the advisories.

But it’s only on a race track that I can induce any form of thermal power limiting. I suppose I could induce it with some artificial bullshit on an empty motorway like 0 to 110 kph acceleration, then brake to a standstill, then another 0 to 110 kph acceleration, brake, rinse and repeat. But that’s hardly real world, and it would be more likely to kill the brakes before the battery overheated.

EV’s are not everyone, not for me that’s a certainty, but for someone with home charging via solar and the average daily commute they are a decent option.

Always a Bulldog

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
You trying to say you stole it? And hooned in it on Xmas day.

@Nasheed - this guy is stealing your game. You putting up with that?
I’m not the first person to have multiple drink, speeding and drug driving charges and a 5 year suspension.

you just reminded me I get my licence back at the of February after 5 years

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I drove a performance car (EV or ICEV) truly hard for 20 minutes, anywhere but on a racetrack, there’s a pretty good chance I’d be in jail for some time. As previously posted it took me that time on a race track 5 years ago in a Tesla S, more recent models would take slightly longer as they have better battery cooling.

I have driven EV’s on some pretty decent “driving roads” (Kangaroo Valley, Brown Mt, NE HWay Tamworth to Armidale, National Park at midnight, etc etc). I could easily reduce the driving range by 20-30% and that’s with some fairly liberal speed limit interpretations and often more than doubling the advisories.

But it’s only on a race track that I can induce any form of thermal power limiting. I suppose I could induce it with some artificial bullshit on an empty motorway like 0 to 110 kph acceleration, then brake to a standstill, then another 0 to 110 kph acceleration, brake, rinse and repeat. But that’s hardly real world, and it would be more likely to kill the brakes before the battery overheated.

EV’s are not everyone, not for me that’s a certainty, but for someone with home charging via solar and the average daily commute they are a decent option.

Always a Bulldog
I recently attended a track day at eastern creek. People drove up from Melbourne in their i30n Hyundai, flogged it for a few sessions on track, on the skidpan, all on a 40 degree day and then they drove them home.

just wouldn’t happen in an EV.. the EV is good for a Bunnings run but nothing else..

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m not the first person to have multiple drink, speeding and drug driving charges and a 5 year suspension.

you just reminded me I get my licence back at the of February after 5 years
Will be good to have u back on our roads nasheed. Stats show that people who spend yrs banned from driving for those sort of offenses will almost always return to the road very responsibly and rarely even get another demerit from that point onward

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Will be good to have u back on our roads nasheed. Stats show that people who spend yrs banned from driving for those sort of offenses will almost always return to the road very responsibly and rarely even get another demerit from that point onward
I dunno.
I’ve learnt from YouTube videos how to not get any further speeding tickets
Cops don’t have jurisdiction over a private Citizen

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I dunno.
I’ve learnt from YouTube videos how to not get any further speeding tickets
Cops don’t have jurisdiction over a private Citizen
Jokes aside, I love those videos.

Random dude gets pulled over, "I know my rights! Police don't have jurisdiction over private citizens!"

Police: "step out of the vehicle sir. You're under arrested"