Electric vs petrol cars

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Norway's generous tax incentives and subsidies for electric vehicles and charging infrastructure have created the world's most successful market for battery-powered autos. The country's abundance of hydroelectric power meant electricity had been dirt cheap for decades. So much so that Norwegians didn't hesitate to leave the lights on in every room or keep hot tubs warm at cottages even when no one was there.3 Feb 2023

Question is, can Australia offer these cash incentives and infrastructure so EV sales flourish.
The issue is the infrastructure. Norway is probably the best country in the world in terms of it. Decades of revenues via the sovereign fund paid for it. 16 Hydro dams in the south - all within a space from say Wollongong to Taree to Lithgow. The high voltage transmission through that is extensive. And the smallest of these hydro dams is slightly smaller than our largest Hydro dam in the same area (and thats pumped hydro so less about generation and more about energy balancing).

If you think in Australia of wind, solar etc., we're not that far behind in terms of production. But our transmission sucks and investment in transmission is weak because of a range of reasons.

As for the cash incentives, thats hard as well. Mainly as, unlike Norway, we sold off the rights of our energy reserves to corporations for chicken feed and expected to get it back on tax. Except we then wrote rules to allow them to dodge tax. So Norway made a packet and thats also used to fund incentives.

So the answer is no.

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The issue is the infrastructure. Norway is probably the best country in the world in terms of it. Decades of revenues via the sovereign fund paid for it. 16 Hydro dams in the south - all within a space from say Wollongong to Taree to Lithgow. The high voltage transmission through that is extensive. And the smallest of these hydro dams is slightly smaller than our largest Hydro dam in the same area (and thats pumped hydro so less about generation and more about energy balancing).

If you think in Australia of wind, solar etc., we're not that far behind in terms of production. But our transmission sucks and investment in transmission is weak because of a range of reasons.

As for the cash incentives, thats hard as well. Mainly as, unlike Norway, we sold off the rights of our energy reserves to corporations for chicken feed and expected to get it back on tax. Except we then wrote rules to allow them to dodge tax. So Norway made a packet and thats also used to fund incentives.

So the answer is no.
So we are planning to fail, our current plans do not have depth, for me it is the question of future hidden costs we dont know about, what you just mentioned, insurance, and convienience. Im not againgst EV actually owned a 2013 Pruis C great little car, and endured the Prius jibes lol but I do like the clatter of a diesel.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
So we are planning to fail, our current plans do not have depth, for me it is the question of future hidden costs we dont know about, what you just mentioned, insurance, and convienience. Im not againgst EV actually owned a 2013 Pruis C great little car, and endured the Prius jibes lol but I do like the clatter of a diesel.
Well, the transmission issue is being dealt with now. We'll pay for that. After that its just time.

Its why I hate Norway comparisons. Norway managed their natural resources in the right way. We didn't. If we did the same, this country would be completely different.

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, the transmission issue is being dealt with now. We'll pay for that. After that its just time.

Its why I hate Norway comparisons. Norway managed their natural resources in the right way. We didn't. If we did the same, this country would be completely different.
Leadership and vision, we dont have many options on the horizon,

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Norway's generous tax incentives and subsidies for electric vehicles and charging infrastructure have created the world's most successful market for battery-powered autos. The country's abundance of hydroelectric power meant electricity had been dirt cheap for decades. So much so that Norwegians didn't hesitate to leave the lights on in every room or keep hot tubs warm at cottages even when no one was there.3 Feb 2023

Question is, can Australia offer these cash incentives and infrastructure so EV sales flourish.
Yep. They are a bit. Many finance companies are offering discount interest on green vehicles because the government incentivises it.

But our Australian grid is an issue. And it's a problem drive by fossil fuel advocates. Everytime we tried to introduce renewable energy, fossil fuel advocates, and the Liberal government, said "no, we don't need renewables". Now those same people are saying, "EVs are pointless because we don't have renewables. You should have introduced more renewables"

This is one of the many reasons politics is stupid.

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep. They are a bit. Many finance companies are offering discount interest on green vehicles because the government incentivises it.

But our Australian grid is an issue. And it's a problem drive by fossil fuel advocates. Everytime we tried to introduce renewable energy, fossil fuel advocates, and the Liberal government, said "no, we don't need renewables". Now those same people are saying, "EVs are pointless because we don't have renewables. You should have introduced more renewables"

This is one of the many reasons politics is stupid.
If Dutton gets the PM job does he cancel all Labours planning or remain conservative so he gets two terms. We might need the carbon tax after all.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If Dutton gets the PM job does he cancel all Labours planning or remain conservative so he gets two terms. We might need the carbon tax after all.
Although Dutton is Conservative, I don't think it fits here. Dutton is traditional Conservative. Basically put, I think he'll reverse everything Labor does.

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although Dutton is Conservative, I don't think it fits here. Dutton is traditional Conservative. Basically put, I think he'll reverse everything Labor does.
That would be foolish,

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

We will never compete with other countries for energy price we pay 32c kwh in the USA its 15c kwh its better value to have a petrol car in the us in some parts because they can get petrol for $2.50 a gallon

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score

Australians usually like to copy Americans with everything.

We get all their hand me downs.
Little brother style.
E.g
Newtown stoner: Weed is legal in quite a few states in America... baaa baaaaa, we should copy and do what they do.
Except for the guns part because it takes a real man to handle a gun!

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Australians usually like to copy Americans with everything.

We get all their hand me downs.
Little brother style.
E.g
Newtown stoner: Weed is legal in quite a few states in America... baaa baaaaa, we should copy and do what they do.
Except for the guns part because it takes a real man to handle a gun!
True, do follow America easier, that way we dont have do the hard work.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I just rode on an electric bus.
It was like riding on a giant forklift with out the tynes and reverse steering.

Scary times but thankfully it was only a short distance.
I didn't want to walk to Bankstown in the humidity.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
What happens if your charging at home and theres a power surge , lightning strike etc ? Boom?
Not a "Boom". But it could fry the charging circuitry in the car if you don't have a surge protector. Wouldn't cause a fire or anything, but could be costly to repair.

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a "Boom". But it could fry the charging circuitry in the car if you don't have a surge protector. Wouldn't cause a fire or anything, but could be costly to repair.
Boom was a joke but definately a possible thermal runaway

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Boom was a joke but definately a possible thermal runaway
Not from a surge. Thermal runaway requires damage to a battery. A surge can't damage a battery 'cause it doesn't get past the charging system. Except if you're using a really cheap Chinese made charger. But those breach Australian safety standards so you'll have to import them illegally and then anything that happens is on you.

Thermal runaway happens due to damage to a battery cell, or by charging it using a dodgy cheap charger. The latter is extremely rare though. If you're buying that stuff then I wouldn't worry about your car. You're more likely to die when you plug your phone or laptop into a charger.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Not from a surge. Thermal runaway requires damage to a battery. A surge can't damage a battery 'cause it doesn't get past the charging system. Except if you're using a really cheap Chinese made charger. But those breach Australian safety standards so you'll have to import them illegally and then anything that happens is on you.

Thermal runaway happens due to damage to a battery cell, or by charging it using a dodgy cheap charger. The latter is extremely rare though. If you're buying that stuff then I wouldn't worry about your car. You're more likely to die when you plug your phone or laptop into a charger.
but look what happens when lightning strikes a fuel car....
:tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: