Effort and desire.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You don't concede 34 if you play with effort and desire....
Wow, so it was effortless to score 30 points and no desire to hold them to 34 points.
Yeah got ya.
Defence was soft and a lot of the Canberra tries where of kicks.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You don't concede 34 if you play with effort and desire....
Its only my opinion but I don't believe effort and desire is the problem.
I think fielding reserve graders is the issue.
I'm not blaming Ciro, hes just trying to get blood from a stone.
Blokes like Alamoti are playing without experienced support alongside him.
Not dumping shit on Casey, just saying the quality of his last 2 performances shouldn't be rewarded with selection to first grade.
This was suppose to be a year of building and fine tuning.
How can you when a 3rd of your squad (and arguably your better players) are out or playing injured?
Its easy to point the finger and call reserve graders shit ***** but it all leads back to the same issue.
Injury's have ruined our progress for 2023.
Thats not an excuse, its a fact.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not dumping shit on Casey, just saying the quality of his last 2 performances shouldn't be rewarded with selection to first grade.
How can you when a 3rd of your squad (and arguably your better players) are out or playing injured?
Its easy to point the finger and call reserve graders shit ***** but it all leads back to the same issue.
Hit the nail on the head.

mattressback

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I tried telling myself the same, then I looked at newbies from reggies in other teams who killed it. That three quarter from Dolphins and no. 17 for Cowboys are but two examples. Our fill ins just don't have the same impact when given the chance.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Having watched Magic Round, we are way off the pace. All teams I watched looked much better than our Dogs. Our boys lack the desire and will to win that all other teams (maybe not Dragons) display. Conceding a try in the first set against Raiders is a new low. Why don't we compete with the vigour that other teams display? I don't believe it is coaching. Looks to be attitude.
5 day turnaround. Only teams to have won this season after a 5 day turnaround were playing teams also on a 5 day turnaround.

It's a guarantee to look flat. We should be better rested this week, with those couple players back having had a run as well in the middle. Hopefully we put up a better effort.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
That was our worst performance of the year for mine. Short turn around. Travel. Boys playing injured. Not really worried about it. We’ve seen how good we look in periods of games. Onto the Warriors this weekend. Expecting a big performance.
We only lost by four points to a much better team.

Warriors were impressive this weekend. If they repeat that effort, they will blow us off the park - but they are a team that plays well one week and poorly the next.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
5 day turnaround. Only teams to have won this season after a 5 day turnaround were playing teams also on a 5 day turnaround.

It's a guarantee to look flat. We should be better rested this week, with those couple players back having had a run as well in the middle. Hopefully we put up a better effort.
We should also remember that most teams around us have had a bye, and two easy points. We have won one more game than them.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Warriors sponsors are coming out saying refs are literally cheating them out of games.

The NRL won’t stand for this.. watch them get every single call on Friday night and crucify us with penalities

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I tried telling myself the same, then I looked at newbies from reggies in other teams who killed it. That three quarter from Dolphins and no. 17 for Cowboys are but two examples. Our fill ins just don't have the same impact when given the chance.
I feel your frustration believe me. Fuckin hate seeing the Broncos come good after getting the spoon in recent years.
Friday I was so pissed cause I knew we had it in us to win.

We really have come from a dark place in recent years. 5 years of shit with a squad so lacking in talent, muscle and depth.
We also have this a 'dumb' mentality at times we just cant seem to shake.

But then I look at the bigger picture. As frustrating as it is there has definitely been a shift. Just cant be competitive without the cattle.

This weekend coming is going to be another battle. Warriors out muscle us, another weekend of pushing shit uphill.
But Im always hopeful and believe we can dig in.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We only lost by four points to a much better team.

Warriors were impressive this weekend. If they repeat that effort, they will blow us off the park - but they are a team that plays well one week and poorly the next.
We’re playing the warriors at a good time for mine. Friday’s game will be their 4th game in 18 days, 3 of those in Aus. Hopefully a down game for them.

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
View attachment 70621
This is the shit that makes us lose
Yup I was harping on about this point in another post. We are just not competitive churning out these sort of sub-optimal stats. Making our set completions >80% / possession >50% etc etc will give us a fighting chance. Occasionally teams get up to win, with worse stats but it is not sustainable over an entire season.

We really lack 1-2 game breakers in our team (eg. Souths / Latrell, Storm / Munster, Roosters / Manu etc). Hopefully in time Oloapu / Burton, will be those players. Too many Cup players in our team currently due to injuries. It will hopefully change with time. With a full roster, a few weeks ago, we were being hailed as the new Bulldog entertainers.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Warriors sponsors are coming out saying refs are literally cheating them out of games.

The NRL won’t stand for this.. watch them get every single call on Friday night and crucify us with penalities
That was the plan from the refs office even before the sponsor blew his stack Mitch.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I thought manly were woeful along with the eels who were terrible against the titties and still nearly pulled it out of their collective arses, only to fail last minute :tearsofjoy:

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup I was harping on about this point in another post. We are just not competitive churning out these sort of sub-optimal stats. Making our set completions >80% / possession >50% etc etc will give us a fighting chance. Occasionally teams get up to win, with worse stats but it is not sustainable over an entire season.

We really lack 1-2 game breakers in our team (eg. Souths / Latrell, Storm / Munster, Roosters / Manu etc). Hopefully in time Oloapu / Burton, will be those players. Too many Cup players in our team currently due to injuries. It will hopefully change with time. With a full roster, a few weeks ago, we were being hailed as the new Bulldog entertainers.
We are really missing the fox. He scores tries from half chances. A perfect example was the last time we played the Warriors. We didnt even have an overlap but he still beat his man and ran 70 metres from a scrum. We also miss his defence and his talk on the field.

The fact that we scored 30 against the Raiders is a bit misleading I reckon. They always had us covered. The same as the sharks did a fortnight ago.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
I think you are being harsh here. It is 3 - 4 players who refused to show courage and secure the high balls that created our weakness that was exploited. If we secured those balls, they don't score and we win the game. We stayed in that game because we showed grit and talent to fight back. Having said all that, we do have a long way to go - we are far from consistent in a game, and from game to game - you don't know what team is going to show up unfortunately. But you do know that if they play dumb, which they do a lot, then they will hang in there and not let the scoreline embarrass them, if they can.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Usual reaction to a loss suddenly they aren't trying. Yet 1 week earlier had a gutsy win and tried their butts off. Raiders hit us in form have won their last 3. Losing by 4 not disgraceful at all with the troops we have. Im ok with it

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Usual reaction to a loss suddenly they aren't trying. Yet 1 week earlier had a gutsy win and tried their butts off. Raiders hit us in form have won their last 3. Losing by 4 not disgraceful at all with the troops we have. Im ok with it
My friend, it's a typical kennel response. Don't take any notice. If we won, everyone would have blown their load and got grand final tickets.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Having watched Magic Round, we are way off the pace. All teams I watched looked much better than our Dogs. Our boys lack the desire and will to win that all other teams (maybe not Dragons) display. Conceding a try in the first set against Raiders is a new low. Why don't we compete with the vigour that other teams display? I don't believe it is coaching. Looks to be attitude.
Eels scored in the first set against Titans and the Titans still won the game… our discipline and 1-1 defence cost us, I don’t think our desire can be questioned - yoo only have to look at the forward packs and available players for those teams… Titans have Tino, Fotuaika and Fafita (enough said), Tigers with Stefano, Klemmer and Papalii - if we had that cattle, different outcomes.

I like that Ciro is saying it’s not good enough, because it isn’t, but in reality, we’re hugely disadvantaged at the moment though troops are slowly returning.