Dufty and Pappy off contract end of 2021

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Paps looks like he is being groomed as a future captain of the storm, they won’t let him go. Dufty on the other hand has been treated poorly by the dragons with short contracts and no security, made to fight for his spot each week. He has improved out of site recently and the dogs could swoop in with a three year contract.
I agree and the reason for this is they feel either Lomax or Ramsey can play FB, He would be a terrific signing. I can’t see any teams without an established #1 so makes sense... Would love Paps though, that’s a game changer

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I said we should sign dufty when he had fallen out of favour and off contract on the last occasion. We didn’t even fart in his direction. He would be a value buy and wouldn’t be too expensive. He’s better than Corey Allen.
You are right, we should have signed him but now we have Allen, DWZ, Meeney, Hopa, and Averillo who all have played there or claim to be a fullback.

If Barrett has plans for Averillo at the back he should stick to it and concentrate on our forward purchases.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
I’d take either... but don’t think papsmear would leave the storm. They literally turned he’s career around

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Of course everyone would prefer Pap, but he'll cost $1 million plus and once we spend our cap this season on much needed forwards and a hooker, it will hard to see that kind of money available in the future to make a serious run at him..

Whereas someone like Dufty would cost less than half of that and still provide a big upgrade over what we've had. So for now Papenhuysen is pipe dream stuff whereas Dufty would be a realistic target.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can he play in the forwards?

I'd rather get a few forwards with the money. And while we dont have a Tedesco, Paps or Mitchell type fullback, 13 clubs don't. Gutherson is a tier lower and probably best of the rest. Not including t turbo until he plays often enough to benefit the team over a season.

We do have in 2022 JAC, Meaney, Averillo, Hopoate, DWZ, Corey Allen who can play fb.

If we dont get forwards first who can bend the line and offload, the backs wont get any action.

Chasing a star fb when needing forwards is like putting all your money into painting your car, when the engine is running on 1 cylinder.
That's about it, but the problem is that the new rules has made a very few props elite, while the rest have not been able to keep up with the pace.
I can't see us finding a good prop let alone two at the present time.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's about it, but the problem is that the new rules has made a very few props elite, while the rest have not been able to keep up with the pace.
I can't see us finding a good prop let alone two at the present time.
I think we got lucky with Thompson, really well suited to the new pace. I guess that makes up for the signing of Napa.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
we need a hooker and a forward pack first being so small dufty would struggle behind our "pack"
You can be assured our priorities of are in this order, a Hooker 2 Forwards and and a Centre all of great qualities and any extra players would be a bonus.
As for a fullback, it depends on how things will unfold with DWZ, Averillo, Meaney Allen and even JAC, we will be in a better position to make a decision later but if needed Papa is the better option, plus he's off contract 2022 and would be easier to get Bellamy won't be there !

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
doesn’t mean anything unless we own the middle and get good service from dummy half. We don’t own the middle and we don’t get good service. Dufty would look like dylan walker at the back for us atm.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can be assured our priorities of are in this order, a Hooker 2 Forwards and and a Centre all of great qualities and any extra players would be a bonus.
As for a fullback, it depends on how things will unfold with DWZ, Averillo, Meaney Allen and even JAC, we will be in a better position to make a decision later but if needed Papa is the better option, plus he's off contract 2022 and would be easier to get Bellamy won't be there !
Stupid question but I'll ask anyway. Can you provide any names?
My guess is Clark/Smith for hooker, JFH as one of the props and Naden/Staggs for centre. If we landed any one of those I'd be pretty fucking happy

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course everyone would prefer Pap, but he'll cost $1 million plus and once we spend our cap this season on much needed forwards and a hooker, it will hard to see that kind of money available in the future to make a serious run at him..

Whereas someone like Dufty would cost less than half of that and still provide a big upgrade over what we've had. So for now Papenhuysen is pipe dream stuff whereas Dufty would be a realistic target.
Agree ....Dufti is more realistic and within out salary cap

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Dal doesn't have the ball skills to make a good long term fullback though. If he can prove to be a safe option returning kicks im happy to keep him there for now but he is overpaid to play on the wing and i just dont see him working out and staying at the club long term.

Dufty is good in attack but is one of the worst defensive fullbacks I've ever seen and I mean that in regards to his tackling, not positional play. I'm not sold on him, not on a big money deal.

I don't see why we don't give Averillo a crack at fullback now to see if he has what it takes to be a long term option. Next year Burton will take his spot at five eighth anyway and clearly Allan & Meaney aren't the answer there. Plus it would give us the chance to play Lewis there for this season which would strengthen our defensive line and give us a 2nd choice kicker.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Backs:

Naden
Hynes

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Our priorities need to be hooker and prop surely? We've got JAC coming next year and Burton which frees Averillo up to play in the outside backs. Plus we have Okunbour coming back from injury and a couple good prospects coming through the grades that will be a year older eg Schoupp.

- Allan
- Addo-Carr
- Averillo
- Cotric
- Okunbour
- Schoupp
- Watene-Zelezniak

I think there is enough quality there? I'd take Papenhuyzen because he is a superstar but not at the expense of a top quality hooker.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It's good to know that those positions are priorities for the club,we have put the cart before the horse in recent years RE recruitment there seems to have been an obsession with outside backs and fucking wingers which is why we are being slaughtered through the middle third every game now.I really do feel sorry for every half that has had to play behind our forwards in the last four years, regardless of skill level they where all on a hiding to nothing and with the rule changes this year Flanno is getting the worst of it. Thanks for the mail D- voice.
PS. If we did end up with Papa,TK would resemble a scene from Caligula :tearsofjoy: