DOOM BREAK: Quarantine Cooking Thread

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
I've never really thought highly of food that's been named in an overly flowery way. Modern cooking shows have probably convinced a lot of restaurants that you can charge more if you apply a fancy name. And I also couldn't care less if the food isn't artistically presented which is the other big thing that modern cooking shows seem to think enhances a dining experience.

I've eaten that in Singapoore. Tasty stuff.
That fried whitebait gear tastes ok, it'd want to for the $70 a kilo it sells for. Cheaper to just buy a packet of it as fishing bait and deep fry it yourself!
Agree with you on the artsy poncey presentation of food these days, just fucken heap it on the plate- as long as there is plenty of it. Went to a restaurant a few years back for a special occasion and the bill for 2 was $230 and I was fanging for a run through a drive-thru on the way back home an hour later.....shitty morsels of yuppified crap wouldn't of satisfied a toddlers hunger. It was garbage.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
That fried whitebait gear tastes ok, it'd want to for the $70 a kilo it sells for. Cheaper to just buy a packet of it as fishing bait and deep fry it yourself!
Agree with you on the artsy poncey presentation of food these days, just fucken heap it on the plate- as long as there is plenty of it. Went to a restaurant a few years back for a special occasion and the bill for 2 was $230 and I was fanging for a run through a drive-thru on the way back home an hour later.....shitty morsels of yuppified crap wouldn't of satisfied a toddlers hunger. It was garbage.
My year 12 formal was at a fancy hotel. The meal that we got was shite. It was like a 4 course meal and none of it even hit the sides of my belly. Main course was some salmon dish that was served on a huge plate with only a tiny bit of salmon with a sprinkling of greens over it and a dab of some shit sauce.
Anyway, half of us were still starving so we hustled around the room collecting money and ordered a heap of pizzas for the group. Hotel wouldn't let us have the pizza inside so next thing you know there is a heap of people in fancy dress sitting on the curb outside eating pizza. Anyone going by would have thought what the fark lol. Worst formal ever, at least the after party was better.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As a chef what has been the most over hyped product or dish?

Me Personally I feel like Foie Gras was huge at one stage (didn't ratee it) and then then truffle bandwagon.

The process of how Foie gras turned me off a bit... force feeding corn down their gobs [emoji19]
Having lived in france for 2 years, Foie gras is amazing. Especially a nice big slice on a burger. Damn!!! And i could eat anythinf eithctruffle on it. That shit is not a fad!! It's fucking amazing!!!

A

Alexander the Great

The lamb ( ask them to keep most of the fat on) is marinated over night in tomatoe paste, onion, middle eastern spice (baharat) salt & pepper and paprika (Armenian style)

The snags (makanek) lamb meat with heaps of spices. I normally make my own but bought these last second. The fat content was not enough to meat ratio so turned up a bit dry.
I found the trick is to use ghee.

The blue drink is actually white but the shot is dog shit. Lebanese drink called arak.
Sugar and water wash with a tube Yeast added to it. After the second distill will get you around 80% alcohol. Aniseed added to it for the flavour for the last run.

Goes hand in hand for Israeli , arab meals.

Once the lockdown is over ill be more than happy to have you over for a feed and nayb3 you can marry one of my cousins.
Give us a rundown....what are those meats? Interested by the blue drink, what's that?

A

Alexander the Great

I did enjoy it but in France they have great joy giving you ever detail on how how they make it.... i watched a video on it and was pretty intense.[

Do think its overrated tho

QUOTE="flamebouyant, post: 3720284, member: 23446"]Having lived in france for 2 years, Foie gras is amazing. Especially a nice big slice on a burger. Damn!!! And i could eat anythinf eithctruffle on it. That shit is not a fad!! It's fucking amazing!!![/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Side note. If you're going to eat out, look at the menu before hand. If there's at least 6 ingredients that you don't recognise, give the place a miss.

On the back of Jamie Oliver and Masterchef, all these restaurants started pushing out bullshit. There's a stream of restaurants that have unqualified chefs picking a bunch of ingredients that no one has ever heard of and throwing them together 'cause they think that makes them a "master chef". It's all bullshit.

If you see a menu like that, check who the head chef is. If they don't list their head chef then it's a wank. If they list their head chef and his qualifications are, "I created the Maccas special sauce by jerking into a sock", then avoid it.

There's very few Chefs I know that run restaurants like that with exotic ingredients that actually make something special with them. Most are just absolute trash.
Im gonna have to disagree with you there. I worked in a one hat restaurant in sydney for 3 year's, and everydish I ever tasted out of that kitchen was fucking sensational!!!

A

Alexander the Great

My bad chicken wings also marinaded over night with lemon, garlic and Tajin salt.
A Mexican salt they use to put on fruit obe that was. Last time I went I brought back 20 bottles and customs were pretty sketchy with me.

Great salt. I have used it on rubs for brisket and ribs and its pretty amazing
Give us a rundown....what are those meats? Interested by the blue drink, what's that?
Image.jpeg

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's true for most products. The difference between cheap truffle oil and expensive truffle oil is that cheap truffle oil has artificial truffle oil flavour. Expensive truffle oil has about 5% truffle. If you're lucky.

Try blue cheese dip/sauce. If you're lucky it has 2% blue cheese in it. I make my own which is about 40% blue cheese with sour cream, butter milk, mayonnaise and lemon juice. It's 100 times better than anything you buy in a bottle.
A good mate of mine used to be head chef for a restaurant in Ubud, Bali, and they went through 20kg of truffle per month. Shaved on everything. Lol epicly good.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
My bad chicken wings also marinaded over night with lemon, garlic and Tajin salt.
A Mexican salt they use to put on fruit obe that was. Last time I went I brought back 20 bottles and customs were pretty sketchy with me.

Great salt. I have used it on rubs for brisket and ribs and its pretty amazing View attachment 14353
Cheers bud. Those meats looked delicious mate. Were the ones on the sticks closest to camera kofta's? Or something similar.
What was the drink?

A

Alexander the Great

Yes kofta with no Tomaote. More mint and greek style.
I like to keep the BBQ multicultural. A bit of wog in each bite.
Cheers bud. Those meats looked delicious mate. Were the ones on the sticks closest to camera kofta's? Or something similar.
What was the drink?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I did enjoy it but in France they have great joy giving you ever detail on how how they make it.... i watched a video on it and was pretty intense.[

Do think its overrated tho

QUOTE="flamebouyant, post: 3720284, member: 23446"]Having lived in france for 2 years, Foie gras is amazing. Especially a nice big slice on a burger. Damn!!! And i could eat anythinf eithctruffle on it. That shit is not a fad!! It's fucking amazing!!!
[/QUOTE]
The thing you need to keep in mind is that back in the old days when the winters came, they had tovpreserve all of their supplies to get them through it. This is how they came to create things like Foie gras, paté and all of their cured meats etc.
My wifes great grandmotherlived to be 100, and she was cooking and preparing food to preserve for winter constantly. Apparently their cellar was packed with cured meats, paté, preserved vegetables, salami, prosciutto, sausages etc etc. Apparently it was jam packed full of it.
I agree Foie gras is inhumane, but ot is fucking delicious. Especially when they fry a slice on the grill and put it on your burger.

A

Alexander the Great

I ate it raw with a light toasted bread snack and a glass of champagne. It was good but just felt wrong. The thing you need to keep in mind is that back in the old days when the winters came, they had tovpreserve all of their supplies to get them through it. This is how they came to create things like Foie gras, paté and all of their cured meats etc.
My wifes great grandmotherlived to be 100, and she was cooking and preparing food to preserve for winter constantly. Apparently their cellar was packed with cured meats, paté, preserved vegetables, salami, prosciutto, sausages etc etc. Apparently it was jam packed full of it.
I agree Foie gras is inhumane, but ot is fucking delicious. Especially when they fry a slice on the grill and put it on your burger.[/QUOTE]

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I can almost smell it through my screen :laughing:
Me too..mmmm..actually that’s dinner cooking at my place.. Nonetheless @Abu Azrael i bow down to your BBQ menu..Beats us bloody Aussie BBQs..couple of sausages with onions..:D ps..still...mmm sausages and onions with sauce on bread..

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Me too..mmmm..actually that’s dinner cooking at my place.. Nonetheless @Abu Azrael i bow down to your BBQ menu..Beats us bloody Aussie BBQs..couple of sausages with onions..:D ps..still...mmm sausages and onions with sauce on bread..
I'm cooking tacos and burritos for dinner. I fucked up though and put in too much chilli and now my eyes are watering. Anyhow, it will still taste good, just my ring may sting a little extra in the morning lol.