News Dogs Stick With Hutchinson Despite Mounting Pressure

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nope Flanagan is only a great defender that's it and I'm not saying he's a good half. What I am saying is that Flanagan copped all the shit, while Burton being on big money and stating he wanted to run the team and be a leader of the club escaped any criticism.

Sadly Flanno has more tries and try assists than Burton so far this year though... Again not saying he's better, just highlights were Burton is at.
After watching the game again, Burton wasn’t as bad IMO. (Sorry Marley)

he started and finished a try, his kicking game/metres was good and his 4020 set up our second try. His defence was solid and his support play (line break from Critta pass)…

My biggest issue with Burton was he didn’t demand the ball enough when we were chasing the game and in particular good ball territory. I counted a couple of sets where he didn’t touch the ball so part of that was Reed and Hutch over calling but Burton needs to demand the ball more!!

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Every player we signed for this year bar Critta were not part of their clubs top 13 and not part of their future plans. Their clubs made zero effort to keep them. However of all the rejects from other clubs Gus has signed 3 of them have done very well Curran, Mann and Tracey. We do gamble way too much on signing rejects hoping they come good. It's too much rolling of the dice. 3 are coming off. The rest are still rejects.
Theres been a fair few very good additions just need to spine sorted and a prop ..

Preston a great signing..
I reckon both Xerri & Sexton are good signings at great prices even though they havent had much FG time here.. i see both doing well in FG once they get a chance..

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
And @Fannygun (cant tag him?) shit-canning Curran as a reject because the Warriors didn't want him
Yep. Amazing how the double standards don’t seem to apply to colourful circus identities.
You can’t tag as he’s still serving a lengthy suspension imposed by the judiciary :-).

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the past 10 years club has tried amongst others Keating , Mybe, Cogger, Frawley, Lewis, Marshall King, Averillo, Flanagan, Wakeham BBO, KO, Reynolds, Burton, Sexton and now Hutchinson at 7 and not one of them could organise a root in a brothel with a fist full of $100’s.
Is it seriously that difficult to find a quality 7, all other successful clubs have seamless succession plans but we are clueless.

Last edited:

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Theres been a fair few very good additions just need to spine sorted and a prop ..

Preston a great signing..
I reckon both Xerri & Sexton are good signings at great prices even though they havent had much FG time here.. i see both doing well in FG once they get a chance..
Preston is an old style Bulldogs signing where they aren't an NRL reject, a young player looking for his NRL break (hasn't played NRL anywhere else). Wilson the same. Both were our 2 best signings for 2023.

I'm talking about 2024. We've made so many for 2024. We made a lot for 2022 and 2023 as well.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When we were under Potter we finished the season mid table. At 12th if I remember correctly. So yeah we looked better! Dunno how you judge a team but last time I checked winning games is kinda important. But maybe I'm clueless and there's more to it! Lol
We’re 4 games into the season…

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
After watching the game again, Burton wasn’t as bad IMO.
He rarely is as bad as those with hate boners for him think. I cannot understand that btw. Why would you constantly hate on a player in the team you supposedly support? Anyone would think we’ve got Lockyer stuck in reserve grade ffs. We simply have no better option and he does enough positive things that he is the least of our problems. When they’re in sync (as was the case vs Titans) they are a good attacking unit. You can say oh but it’s just the hopeless Tits. Sure, but what WE did was solely our choice. That’s what I don’t understand. Why wasn’t Burton playing both sides of the field vs Souths like he was vs Tits? I can only assume it was because coach didn’t have it in his game plan. If so why not? I can’t imagine it was just because Burton didn’t feel oike it, but it could have been something he consciously or subconsciously did.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

he started and finished a try, his kicking game/metres was good and his 4020 set up our second try. His defence was solid and his support play (line break from Critta pass)…

My biggest issue with Burton was he didn’t demand the ball enough when we were chasing the game and in particular good ball territory. I counted a couple of sets where he didn’t touch the ball so part of that was Reed and Hutch over calling but Burton needs to demand the ball more!!
Na he's bad, don't be silly. I've literally never hated a Bulldog side as much as this one.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
people forget that hutch has had some good defensive reads and is talking a lot compared to burton. You can’t park burton and sexton if they both don’t speak much.. it will strip us back to how we played last year… theirs a reason CC is playing hutch over sexton
True but my couch opinion says that Taafe who does talk a lot and played all his junior footy and junior rep as half back may do a better job as he is lightning fast off the mark and that is what we need.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don’t believe those stats. Cup team has scored plenty of tries 4+ per game and he has set up most of them in the 3 games played. He may not of thrown the last pass but made the space. People can say whatever about defence, but in attack he has been good, in particular in the parra and Souths games.
Also has 91.7 tackle efficiency according the nrl stat.

Old Man JB

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We all do, that's life.
The thing is, it's easy for media identities and arm chair coaches to bang on about who should be playing,
But outsiders don't have to live with the consequences.
The coach does
And he has Sexton in nsw cup for a reason.
But he can't just chop and change halfbacks every week.
He has to give them a chance to work on their game.

Fact is Sexton and Hutch are both nsw cup level halves at best.

Neither will win us games
So Cc is fucked no matter what he does.

Only dumb ***** can't see that.
100%

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Every player we signed for this year bar Critta were not part of their clubs top 13 and not part of their future plans. Their clubs made zero effort to keep them. However of all the rejects from other clubs Gus has signed 3 of them have done very well Curran, Mann and Tracey. We do gamble way too much on signing rejects hoping they come good. It's too much rolling of the dice. 3 are coming off. The rest are still rejects.
I’m curious Polly. Why do you insist on this being a one way street? You must’ve said fifty times that the Bulldogs are guilty of recruiting ‘rejects’ and/or ‘players not part of their clubs future plans’ yet it’s somehow OK for other clubs to do the same (recruit players who were ‘rejects’ and/or ‘not part of future plans’ at the Bulldogs eg: Flanagan, Alamoti, Waddell). You do see the hypocrisy of your statement (x50) don’t you :-).

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the meantime coaches such as Newcastle's Adam O'Brien makes changes to his halves looking for something different. CC expects something different by doing the same thing every week. Either Sexton is playing so poorly in reserves or CC can't admit the experiment hasn't worked.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I was pretty happy when we signed him... As a utility. I didnt seriously think he'd be our starting halfback and personally I'd drop him for sexton.

But that's just me and I'm sure ciraldo sees and knows a lot more than I

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

That's my problem with Burton though, he's bad in my eyes because he publicly stated he wants to be a leader of the club and control the side. Demand the ball when the game is in the balance then and just attempt something... Untill that changes I'll be forever critical. We have had a big issue at the club for a long time where player well always tell us through media what they are going to do and never fulfil it.

Last edited:

Rumdogmillionaire

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Same last year, when Perham became fullback at Averillo's expense.
Sure, Averillo might not have been the answer, but if Perham was, then what was the f#(k-ing question?

We are playing better as a team overall (so far), so Ciraldo does has that working in his favour (for now), but we're going to need to see improvement with his selections and rotations if he is going to make it long term.

Good to see Sam Hughes starting up front. So I haven't completely given up on Ciraldo graduating past the training wheels.
I agree about Sam Hughes starting. That's gotta be a good thin. C'mon Sammie!!
Also agree we're playing better - especially defensively.

Can't answer your tricky Q about Perham??
Perham needs to play wing IMO (in Reggies). He doesn't set up supports well, but runs the footy hard (just not always very direct).
Perhaps the question was - "Who in the Dogs would we most like to channel some Justin Olam type kamikaze tackling & fearless running into"
Answer - (arguably) Perham

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His a hog how many times was there a chance out wide and he dummies and runs himself.
We can agree he took wrong choices in thst game, but theres no guarantee they all eould have resulted in points.

Its not like he got tackled on last. We still had chances to move the ball and score although i agree the better and mire expected play was to pass on those occassions.

Still, would rather he back himself every onve in a while than go into his shell like Burton

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We can agree he took wrong choices in thst game, but theres no guarantee they all eould have resulted in points.

Its not like he got tackled on last. We still had chances to move the ball and score although i agree the better and mire expected play was to pass on those occassions.

Still, would rather he back himself every onve in a while than go into his shell like Burton
when burton made the break, the rabbits were completely out numbered on the right hand side of the field. We had numbers there. What did Hutchison do? Dummy and run. It should have been through the hands. In the end we lost by 4pts. I know it’s unfair to say we would have won it but it probably wouldn’t have hurt

Last edited: