Dogs sign half - Josh Cleeland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm always worried when I see "25 years old" who has not played first grade (NRL) yet.

I have not seen enough lower grades to comment - but is Lincoln Lewis first grade potential (down the track obviously)?

Be interested to see some input from someone who watches a fair bit of lower grades...

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We should just sign Foran when hes good to go for next season. No doubt he has issues but almost everyone goes through rough patches, hard for the blokes when their lives are played out in the media. I think if we had a controlling half our game plan would be different, hence why our current halves olay second fiddle to bupa when on the attack because they are ball running halves not generals. Anyway thats my thoughts. Always happy to give a bloke another chance so i say throw everything at foran. We should of done the same to cronk

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm always worried when I see "25 years old" who has not played first grade (NRL) yet.

I have not seen enough lower grades to comment - but is Lincoln Lewis first grade potential (down the track obviously)?

Be interested to see some input from someone who watches a fair bit of lower grades...
Lewis is doing okay and he at least has a bit of a kicking game.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm not excited by any half signed by Des.
I would go as far as saying in not excited by any player signed by Hasler/cleal.

You can tell they are tight asses. They never get quality. Always looking for something from the bargain bin.

And more often then not it's a 22-25 year old q-cup player that has never achieved anything special. But they must think to themselves "under des" and behind our forward pack this will be the next...... (Insert the name of a dally m medalist here).

Our team is solid. We are just missing a game breaker. We don't need 15 rep players in the team. All we need is 1 key position player to help us when we fall behind (because we have no idea how to win from there anymore).

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
We're front runners for Luciano Leilua according to fox sports. I thought the Raiders already got him. Guess not.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would go as far as saying in not excited by any player signed by Hasler/cleal.

You can tell they are tight asses. They never get quality. Always looking for something from the bargain bin.

And more often then not it's a 22-25 year old q-cup player that has never achieved anything special. But they must think to themselves "under des" and behind our forward pack this will be the next...... (Insert the name of a dally m medalist here).

Our team is solid. We are just missing a game breaker. We don't need 15 rep players in the team. All we need is 1 key position player to help us when we fall behind (because we have no idea how to win from there anymore).
We are missing a half and a fullback quality one of each will set us back close to 2 million money we don't have because of our fearsome forward pack

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah let's be like the Tigers and pay our spine $4 million....how are they going again?
by your logic, the melbourne storm would have eff'd up by doing so as well.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why do we bother chasing young players. His holyness just wont give them a go. If these younger guys are allowed to play in the senior grades, a better assessment can be made.
Alas, they wont get a chance.

bringitontm

Kennel Established
Reaction score
By the thread title i thought the persons name was "Chase Half". Its didnt occur to me that we were actually chasing a half back until i opened the thread. I mean why would we are we satisfied with what we have?

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do we bother chasing young players. His holyness just wont give them a go. If these younger guys are allowed to play in the senior grades, a better assessment can be made.
Alas, they wont get a chance.
I think you'll find you are quite wrong on that one. Des has given club debuts to many youngsters signed from other clubs.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Maybe a few... But a lot of good young guys who would do very well playing with better players. The reggies is a place where you dont tackle and dont attack. Hard to assess them.
Chisholm, Frawley, Garlick, Abbey, McInally, etc...Worthy of a chance in FG. But he persists with failures like Stanley and L.Perrett.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe a few... But a lot of good young guys who would do very well playing with better players. The reggies is a place where you dont tackle and dont attack. Hard to assess them.
Chisholm, Frawley, Garlick, Abbey, McInally, etc...Worthy of a chance in FG. But he persists with failures like Stanley and L.Perrett.
None of the players you have mentioned deserve a spot over the first grade incumbents. We've already seen first grade club debuts this season for Fine, RFM, Smith & Holland. Danny Fualalo is now a first grade regular with the club obviously preferring him over Tim Browne.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Fox Sports confirming the signing of Josh Cleeland this morning.

Looks like Siejka will get the flick with Frawley and Cleeland as our back ups.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Who is cleeland ? Any good?

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Fox Sports confirming the signing of Josh Cleeland this morning.

Looks like Siejka will get the flick with Frawley and Cleeland as our back ups.
seems to me, like we chase anyone,.... with the first name Josh

doggi3s

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
DOGS SIGN HALF

Des Hasler has signed a playmaker and no, it’s not Kieran Foran.

Canterbury have recruited Cronulla back-up half Josh Cleeland to Belmore on a two-year deal.

Foxsports.com.au first revealed the club’s interest in Cleeland last month with the half officially putting pen to paper last week.

Cleeland joined the Sharks in the off-season after an incredible 2015 with Ipswich in the Intrust Super Premiership.

Having impressed at the Auckland Nines and for Newtown this year, the 25-year-old will put some pressure on Josh Reynolds and Moses Mbye.

Hasler had hoped to bring the crafty half to the club before June 30 but Sharks wouldn’t release him.

The Bulldogs are expected to announce the deal by the end of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.