No Source Does the Ben Hunt rumblings have any Legs ?

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Are we really any chance if the Roosters are interested?

Time will tell, but uncle Nick will most probs get his way.. again
If hunt goes to the roosters for the rest of the year then there will have to be an overhaul of the entire salary cap system. To have the team with the best and most expensive list struggle because they are a soul less club of fuckwits, to be able to get a SOO player/marquee player from a struggling club in a mid season signing is a terrible look. Dodgey AF

MOVE.80

M-Power
Reaction score
If hunt goes to the roosters for the rest of the year then there will have to be an overhaul of the entire salary cap system. To have the team with the best and most expensive list struggle because they are a soul less club of fuckwits, to be able to get a SOO player/marquee player from a struggling club in a mid season signing is a terrible look. Dodgey AF
Agree 100%

But they'll make it happen anyway, and they'll justify it by releasing Lodge :sweatsmile:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Are we really any chance if the Roosters are interested?

Time will tell, but uncle Nick will most probs get his way.. again
I wouldn't mind if Hunt somehow ends up at the Roosters if it means we can get Sam Walker for half the price.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunt is a game changer but I’m not sure we are the right fit for him at this stage in his career. Unless he just wants out of the dragons, a bit more cash and wants to stay where he and is family is living.
I agree. As good as Hunt may seem on paper, our team isn’t where it needs to be to just splash a mil on a 34 year old half. We would just be getting ourselves in the same mess from previous years.
Brooks is more likely because he’s younger and cheaper. He isn’t better than Hunt obviously, but he doesn’t come with any baggage either and at 28 he’s still in the prime of his career. I’m starting to talk myself into Brooks now lol

MOVE.80

M-Power
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind if Hunt somehow ends up at the Roosters if it means we can get Sam Walker for half the price.
Can't help but feel as though Sam Walker will be another Flanagan signing.

He can't get a run in a team stacked with solid forwards, he'd only regress in our team full of plodders

ASR010

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Two things i noticed on 100% Footy that gave me a gut feel that Hunt is heading our way.

- 29:25 - Chammas is talking about what Hunts motivation is (Family, winning a comp, unhappy etc) then turns to Gus and asks what he thinks Bens motivation is and if the Bulldogs are interested. Gus answered he simply doesn't know what is at the core of his motivation, then said "i haven't *pause* he hasn't told me what his motivation is at all" the pause tells me he was about to say he hasn't spoken to him which would've been a lie so he stopped himself and changed his answer, he also ignored the question re if the dogs are interested so Chammas asked him again to which Gus didn't let him finish his sentence and just started speaking over the top of him and made a super generic comment saying everyone is watching this space and that there's no point talking about it until Hunt and Dragons sort it out between themselves.

- 39:25 He made it loud and clear that the Bulldogs are WELL under the salary cap and have plenty of money and reiterated it multiple times to make it a point.

My guess based on the above, Hunt is a shoe-in pending release details with the Dragons (whether it be a straight release or player swaps etc), i also recall someone on here posting that they know it's a bigger contract offered than it should be. Could be why Gus made such a big deal about being so far under the cap.

I think we will find out post-origin, Thursday or Friday..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Can't help but feel as though Sam Walker will be another Flanagan signing.

He can't get a run in a team stacked with solid forwards, he'd only regress in our team full of plodders
Walker's main flaw is defence. He has more skills than most young halves though. He has a good passing game.. He has more potential and talent than Flanagan ever had but Walker isn't the finished product yet. You're right that we need to sort out our pack etc.

MOVE.80

M-Power
Reaction score
Walker's main flaw is defence. He has more skills than most young halves though. He has a good passing game.. He has more potential and talent than Flanagan ever had but Walker isn't the finished product yet. You're right that we need to sort out our pack etc.
That is true, but our "defence" coach wouldn't be able to mend those flaws

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Two things i noticed on 100% Footy that gave me a gut feel that Hunt is heading our way.

- 29:25 - Chammas is talking about what Hunts motivation is (Family, winning a comp, unhappy etc) then turns to Gus and asks what he thinks Bens motivation is and if the Bulldogs are interested. Gus answered he simply doesn't know what is at the core of his motivation, then said "i haven't *pause* he hasn't told me what his motivation is at all" the pause tells me he was about to say he hasn't spoken to him which would've been a lie so he stopped himself and changed his answer, he also ignored the question re if the dogs are interested so Chammas asked him again to which Gus didn't let him finish his sentence and just started speaking over the top of him and made a super generic comment saying everyone is watching this space and that there's no point talking about it until Hunt and Dragons sort it out between themselves.

- 39:25 He made it loud and clear that the Bulldogs are WELL under the salary cap and have plenty of money and reiterated it multiple times to make it a point.

My guess based on the above, Hunt is a shoe-in pending release details with the Dragons (whether it be a straight release or player swaps etc), i also recall someone on here posting that they know it's a bigger contract offered than it should be. Could be why Gus made such a big deal about being so far under the cap.

I think we will find out post-origin, Thursday or Friday..
Yeh he has indicated we are well under the cap now and next year. With guys like Jacko, schoup released this year it’s no shock. That said I really hope we land hunt.

I don’t consider him “super elite” though he is elite and exactly what we need in that old experience head to help burton not feel he has to be everything. It allows him to grow into his position and not to mention allows Mahoney to focus on his game more and we know he’s elite too.

With hunt it would also allow critta time to grow and lock down a quality spine in my opinion.

By the time he’s done burton probably is ready to be the man. We have time/$ to plan a hunt replacement.

I also feel it leaves us able to focus on the 1 key thing left. Middles.

Kikau and Preston are edges. We have a quality backline with critta, Jac, kiraz they basis and guys like xerri and others coming. Regardless what happens with Jake and alomiti (which hopefully we keep at least 1 of).

Hunt is the exact 7 we need and just can’t afford to fail here.

I’m not sure the props though confident we can find a couple. Fotunika and paseka etc would be great without being “big names”.

Haas is obviously the dream. Guys like afb would be a dream too though I reiterate hunt is huge for us. No doubt Gus knows this. He’s been working on it since last year.

Hopefully he’s done enough to get hunt planning his move here but needs to force the release too.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I get the Hunt wants to win a comp and people are saying his not going to get that here but he really is the key piece to the puzzle and I’m sure Gus is selling him that.

1. Critta
6. Burton
7. Hunt
9. Mahoney

Kiks and Preston in the second row if Kiks gets going once his back its the best pairing in the comp.

Fox, Kiraz all the strike you need out wide not to mention Gus‘ obsession with backs lately.

King of the bench and TPJ alongside a few new signings our foward pack is a different story.

ASR010

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yeh he has indicated we are well under the cap now and next year. With guys like Jacko, schoup released this year it’s no shock. That said I really hope we land hunt.

I don’t consider him “super elite” though he is elite and exactly what we need in that old experience head to help burton not feel he has to be everything. It allows him to grow into his position and not to mention allows Mahoney to focus on his game more and we know he’s elite too.

With hunt it would also allow critta time to grow and lock down a quality spine in my opinion.

By the time he’s done burton probably is ready to be the man. We have time/$ to plan a hunt replacement.

I also feel it leaves us able to focus on the 1 key thing left. Middles.

Kikau and Preston are edges. We have a quality backline with critta, Jac, kiraz they basis and guys like xerri and others coming. Regardless what happens with Jake and alomiti (which hopefully we keep at least 1 of).

Hunt is the exact 7 we need and just can’t afford to fail here.

I’m not sure the props though confident we can find a couple. Fotunika and paseka etc would be great without being “big names”.

Haas is obviously the dream. Guys like afb would be a dream too though I reiterate hunt is huge for us. No doubt Gus knows this. He’s been working on it since last year.

Hopefully he’s done enough to get hunt planning his move here but needs to force the release too.
Yep spot on.. If we can line up close to this next year we're looking pretty good..

1. Critta
2. Kiraz/Skelton/Wilson
3. Avo/Skelton/Kiraz
4. Xerri/Alamoti
5. Fox
6. Burton
7. Hunt
8. ? Need a new established big boy here
9. Mahoney
10. TPJ
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Oloapu? Big off-season moulding him into a lock would suit perfectly

14. ?
15. King/Sele (if the rumors are true re Sele)
16. Morrin/Kautoga? He must be close.
17. Pele

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Yep spot on.. If we can line up close to this next year we're looking pretty good..

1. Critta
2. Kiraz/Skelton/Wilson
3. Avo/Skelton/Kiraz
4. Xerri/Alamoti
5. Fox
6. Burton
7. Hunt
9. Mahoney
10. TPJ
11. Kikau
12. Preston

14. ?
17. Pele
Think you answered your own question. Sele starts. King bench.

TheVillain

Waterboy
Reaction score

1. Critta
2. Kiraz/Skelton/Wilson
3. Avo/Skelton/Kiraz
4. Xerri/Alamoti
5. Fox
6. Burton
7. Hunt
9. Mahoney
10. TPJ
11. Kikau
12. Preston

14. ?
17. Pele
Would be happy enough with Oloapu 14 and Edwards 13.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Roosters new favourites….surprise surprise. Uncle Nick will pay his contract out to save face in light of the Roosters rubble. How the chooks get away with this rubbish is fkn ridiculous.

Roosters will say Lodge money goes to Hunt for remainder of the season because Lodge all of a sudden was paid “big bucks”…you know, Origin star half money it seems.

That’s why everyone hates those pri<ks, not only do they buy themselves out of their sh!tshow, they “bend the rules” in the process.
There was an article regarding Lodge about a week ago and straight from the horse's mouth, he said he was on a reduced contract at Rorters.

But you are right, Lodge's salary will now magically cover Hunt's salary - the current QLD half and / or hooker.

And don't forget Rorters have already signed Spencer Lenui and Dominic Young as well.

It's a fckn joke.