Opinion Do we extend Lewis' contract?

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lewis is a poor man's josh Reynolds.. surely we need to move on from this unskilled type effort players.. I'm all for the effort part of this equation but we need genuine halves with skill and vision... funnily enough BBO looks like the most genuine half we have atm.. but I wouldn't rush him into the halves of this team and burn him either..

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A tough question. Is this a Lichaa situation where he had his contract extended based on 3 games?

I wasn't a fan of him under Pay. However he has been defensively very good this year, and energetic.

For me it's a 1 year extension with no guarantee of FG. This gives him an opportunity to sign up with the new Qld franchise if it ever takes off.
I have never thought much of him as a half
But I wish we had more like him with guts and energy
If he is prepared to put on about 10 KGs of muscles and play lock...Then it's a Yes for me !

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never thought much of him as a half
But I wish we had more like him with guts and energy
If he is prepared to put on about 10 KGs of muscles and play lock...Then it's a Yes for me !
Yes, I fully agree, he needs some meat on the bone and he would make an excellent lock.

MariaZ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Lewis was never one of my favourites and I sometimes found him frustrating to watch but I must say in the past few weeks (his return) he has shown a vast improvement and is one of very few that is fighting for his spot! I wish more players had his drive!

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Telling me he can’t run a straight line or into a gap ahahah
He cant make a break at 6 and he is not even a running 6. I don't understand why anyone would play him at lock when we have Thommo. Its like people like that he is an effort player and want to give him a spot because he tries hard. There is a reason why no other NRL club has made him an offer.

budgie69

Waterboy
Reaction score
The kennel "We need to sign a better half to partner Burton"

Also the Kennel "Let's resign the halves we have already"

Short answer: Save the money and get someone useful
Easy to say save your money and get someone else .... who is out there worth getting ?

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Would sign him as backup but only of we can offload flano or wakeum. If cant shift those guys on its a no. Probably have to go after an elite half. Not sure where you find one of those though.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Stats never tell the full story. One try was literally diving on a loose ball and I think both assists are off a bomb aren’t they? That’s hardly something to write home about and certainly not a sustainable way to create points which was my point.
I never said your point wasn't valid, just that you must count "plays" differently to what I do, or more correctly the NRL does.

What inaccurate (or deliberate under/overstating) stats do is make your point, however valid, questionable.

Always a Bulldog

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Rather Flanagan play than resign Lewis.
Lewis has been around for the last 4 years and hasn’t proved he is any better.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I never said your point wasn't valid, just that you must count "plays" differently to what I do, or more correctly the NRL does.

What inaccurate (or deliberate under/overstating) stats do is make your point, however valid, questionable.

Always a Bulldog
If you count bombs and diving on a ball as big plays in a creative sense then good luck to you. I don’t. Getting a try assist for hoisting a 50/50 bomb in the air isn’t the same as a nice bit of ball playing putting a runner through a hole for mine but in the stats it’s equal. That’s where stats don’t tell the full story.

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn’t be a bad shout to try him at 13. Defense certainly isn’t an issue and can provide that long kicking game. Has a similar build to radly
But would get rag dolled in attack. I think I’d prefer Thompson at lock Thanks.
Built nothing like Radley. Radley is solidly built and powerful. Lewis is um not

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the opening 2 tries plus the one disallowed and the one huge line break 15 minutes in were all from him its hard not to count it.
Unbelievable, you are not just a critic for this kid you just down right hate him, while everyone else is saying that Okenbur was the cause of those tries because they were scored on his wing and he was out of position or out of his depth to cover the sharks winger you are still blaming Lewis ( Him, JJ, & Biondi tackled everything that moved ) . Well doesn't matter how much you can't stand this kid you'll just have to get over it because Lewis will be resigned by Gus and may even get a starting spot at 5/8 because while you're counting your version of his mistakes others including TBas & Gus Can see the effort and the potential in the Kid, and I for one would liked to see how he will go in the good team we are building, he may surprise us all including you, Anyway If he is as bad as you say, by now I'm sure Tbas would have replaced him with Flannigan or Wakem but Lewis will be in the side in this weeks game because he has out played Averillo in the halves in the time he has come back to FG

deimus

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Unbelievable, you are not just a critic for this kid you just down right hate him, while everyone else is saying that Okenbur was the cause of those tries because they were scored on his wing and he was out of position or out of his depth to cover the sharks winger you are still blaming Lewis ( Him, JJ, & Biondi tackled everything that moved ) . Well doesn't matter how much you can't stand this kid you'll just have to get over it because Lewis will be resigned by Gus and may even get a starting spot at 5/8 because while you're counting your version of his mistakes others including TBas & Gus Can see the effort and the potential in the Kid, and I for one would liked to see how he will go in the good team we are building, he may surprise us all including you, Anyway If he is as bad as you say, by now I'm sure Tbas would have replaced him with Flannigan or Wakem but Lewis will be in the side in this weeks game because he has out played Averillo in the halves in the time he has come back to FG
Why is anyone that is critical of Lewis automatically labelled a hater? The fact Is Lewis just isn't up to first grade and he never will be. Doesn't mean you hate the bloke, most league players never get the chance to play NRL. He has none of the attributes of a good six or seven. Has it occurred to any of you that he has been able to negotiate with other clubs for a contract since last year? Surely clubs would be falling over each other to sign such a talent.............

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is anyone that is critical of Lewis automatically labelled a hater? The fact Is Lewis just isn't up to first grade and he never will be. Doesn't mean you hate the bloke, most league players never get the chance to play NRL. He has none of the attributes of a good six or seven. Has it occurred to any of you that he has been able to negotiate with other clubs for a contract since last year? Surely clubs would be falling over each other to sign such a talent.............
Come on mate your kidding aren't you? it's one thing being Critical, But have you read some of the posts from " Berries Said " and others?, They are blaming Lewis for everything they are counting the mistakes that they blame him for, and all the tries that the Sharks scored down in Okenbur's wing were because of Lewis etc. Has everyone forgotten that this kid was pushed in the deep end and was quickly processed to first grade because of the situation our club was in, we had no one else, And then christened "the Prince of Belmore" because he helped win a couple of games. Well the Kid has potential and puts in a lot of effort in a very average team, he is a scapegoat. All he gets is bagged all the time. And why is it that anyone that praises Lewis is automatically Labeled a Lewis Lover by those of you who HATE him