Opinion Do we extend Lewis' contract?

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No he wasn’t. And he could’ve been best on ground and you’d still try and claim he was terrible.
He was far from the worst and he always gives his all but he is mediocre at best. If we are to make the 8 next year, we need more then what he can offer.

Last edited:

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we were to keep Lewis, he needs to know that form will keep him from playing reserves. I think with our halves we should rotate players based on stats and form, nothing personal. But if there stays and form are high, they will likely be in first grade regularly. If they are down on form, they are likely to be dropped. If all about the team winning.

Last edited:

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
FMD he puts one accurate cross field kick and people piss their pants with excitement.. he is too slow for the modern game.....

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
His defence was terrible today, he doesnt work from the inside and too slow.
I can never pick that up unless it's glaringly obvious. I suppose it's the finer details you notice that alot of us can't see.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
All 4 of our halves aren't up to NRL standard. We need to move Lewis, Wakeham and Flanno on ASAP and replace them if we are going to improve. Avo isn't a half and is only filling in due to Flanno falling way short of expectations

Lewis is off contract this year...don't re-sign

If we can somehow move on Flanagan and Wakeham sooner rather than later, do it

I'd sign Adam Clune (is off contract) as a straight replacement for Lewis. Not a world beater but has a much better kicking game, passing game and running game....would be an improvement

If we can move Flanno and Wakeham I'd even go for Ash Taylor (is off contract) at $300000. I think that is the figure I saw him being shopped for. If we can somehow wheel and deal for Pearce (not off contract)...even better

We need much better than what we have got and Burton is only half of the puzzle

BBO looks the goods in his brief cameos but realistically is at least a couple of years away from being our number 7 that could possibly lead us to the promised land

Ideal scenario we move Lewis, Flanno and Wakeham on....sign Pearce and Clune, then we have Burton, Pearce, Clune and BBO as our halves, with Avo as a utility

Hopefully Pearce can be our "James Maloney" and spend 2 years with Burton and BBO and in 2 years time BBO is ready to take his place (just like Lui waited for Maloney to leave). Clune would be a great backup if Pearce or Burton went down injured

Our lack of options, composure and execution at number 7 is really putting us behind the 8 ball in every game. To get up the ladder we need much better quality from that position

And if Cheese is off the table for next year I would seriously look at Mitch Rein for a year. Great passing off the ground from dummy half, gets the forwards on a roll, gives a great bullet like pass to a wider standing half and is busy in defence, has experience and would be relatively cheap for a year until 2023 when a few hookers are off contract and we can have a red hot go for one of them. Again he would be an improvement on what we've got

If we can improve at 7 and 9, with the squad we are assembling there is no reason we won't be pushing for the 8 next year

If we are stuck with our current options at 7, we squander far too many opportunities that give us a realistic chance to be competitive in every game

I just hope Gus and Tbaz have a plan to improve us at 7 and 9

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
our best half atm... (need to see how BBO goes). None of our halves are good enough tho. Lewis at least plays like he gives a shit. I can't question his effort.
We should try Lewis 7 (let him do all the kicking) BBO 6 and Deitz 9. BBO and Deitz can both make breaks if there's any lazy marker defence. If Averillo isn't going to run himself he's useless to us.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
No he’s had countless chances to perform and just isn’t a NRL standard half. Trying hard isn’t good enough for a new deal. If we want to stay where we are than persist with players like Lewis because that’s what’s going to happen.
He’s great backup

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He’s great backup
He’s really not. He’s had one play come off since he’s been back in first grade. There’s been nothing at all happening on his edge and he has struggled creating anything when he’s first receiver in the past. There’s more to being a half in the NRL than trying hard.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He’s really not. He’s had one play come off since he’s been back in first grade. There’s been nothing at all happening on his edge and he has struggled creating anything when he’s first receiver in the past. There’s more to being a half in the NRL than trying hard.
Agree some common sense

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've stated this a few times given his body frame isn't much different to Victor Radley or Cam Murray. Obviously skill levels are vastly different but if Lewis roided up he could be a good ball playing lock.

All ifs and buts though. But agree with one year extension
Yeah but those two love contact and Lewis folds over everytime he gets tackled. He'd get murdered at 13.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
He is better than Averillo but I wouldn’t extend Lewis. Funnily enough, we have scored more points since his arrival into the side. We need to look towards the future and find decent partner for him.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Phil says so
And I'm willing to bet Phil will sign him on, purely on his effort, the kid gives you 110% every game and puts his body on the line, put him in a good team and see how he fairs, when he made that break today imagine if he had Naden, JAC, Burton or Dufty running of him it would be a certain Try, Gus told them to play with effort if they wanted to stay & Lewis answered the call in fact I'll go as far as saying Lewis will partner Burton next, Keep your eye on this space

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What did he do ? His defence was shocking left shouppe stranded on several occasions
Were you watching the same game as the rest of us?, Shoupe was left stranded because he was busy trying to cover for that human Salami with dread locks, and if it wasn't for the defense of Lewis, JJ,& Biondi they would have put another 30 points on us.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He wins me over defensively. That's the best part. I just don't know about everything else hence 1 year only.
The four occosaions that lead to tries or line breaks because he cant move sideways quick enough to help his outside man? Bloke is a terrible defender in any situation outside of someone running straight at him. Those Okunbur rush ins were as much as Lewis and Schoupps fault.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Were you watching the same game as the rest of us?, Shoupe was left stranded because he was busy trying to cover for that human Salami with dread locks, and if it wasn't for the defense of Lewis, JJ,& Biondi they would have put another 30 points on us.
Four times I counted Lewis was caught out by speed and the sharks had already passed him by and drew in schoupp and Knockonbur. Lewis is a terrible defender laterally and gets caught out by speed every time.