I couldn't believe it

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The held up call was my fav
Gagai was still trying to ground the ball whilst he sent it upstairs
I couldn't believe it
Even when they were showing segments of the game in news highlights they're showing gagai trying to ground the ball and saying if not for the push it was a try (I believe they used the word grounded which suggests gagai got it down)

The on field ref had it in for us

yearofthedog

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Newcastle forum is adamant that both sione and gagai scored tries and were harshly ripped off lmao

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's always going to be a tough one and they called try on the field but I think there was enough to overturn it.

The confusion is over the rule book that says that you need downward pressure and don't lose contact. The refs have reinterpreted this as "control" but it doesn't mention control in the rulebook. Personally I think if they're losing control it doesn't matter. Should be a try.
The rule has been changed.
When diving on a ball "downward pressure is enough" but if you have control of the ball, then lose it, you must regain control before putting the ball down.
The refs got this one right.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The rule has been changed.
When diving on a ball "downward pressure is enough" but if you have control of the ball, then lose it, you must regain control before putting the ball down.
The refs got this one right.
They need to update the rulebook then 'cause the current rulebook they have one says that a player carrying the ball can ground it with their hand, forearm or chest.

That's the 2015 rulebook though. I gather they have an updated one but they don't have it available to the public.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Thus was also brought up in round 2 when a player put the ball down with his hand, let go, it rolled down his arm then he rolled over the line. Never had separation but had no control.

The video ref called it a no try. The commentators said that the video ref made a mistake and that it was a try. At the end of the round the ref bosses said that the video ref made a mistake and that it should have been a try.

mixa79

Waterboy
Reaction score
I'm a dogs fan that was a try knights were robbed of that one definitely

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Even if they got it wrong its a rare thing that a wrong call goes in our favour. My opinion is that they got the call right though.

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haven't read all the comments so I dunno if this has been raised already but, wasn't it ruled a penalty to the Dogs anyway? One of the Knights players pushed Lee out of the way. Or is this another incident?

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Pretty sure if they got it wrong, the NRL would have admitted to it by now.

So far nothing.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree with both bunker decisions by some miracle. Cant believe there is another news article suggesting the knights are hard done by within 2 days.
Did anyone see the manly dragons game? Manly should be the ones crying poor!!

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't believe Jarad Maxwell went the Bulldogs way with any decision.
Im pretty sure it was Luke Patten....??

What should be more questioned is why we continue to have controversy over these type of decisions.
If the ref goes to the video then they should not make any decision on the field fullstop!..that way it is judged on its merits and the usually dud decision made by the onfield ref is irrelevant.

Why go to the video ref if you award it a try?...pretty simple really...if there is doubt then go to the video ref to decide.

Why are we still talking about these things years after introducing the video ref....all refs are shit anyway and the video doesn't lie

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Im pretty sure it was Luke Patten....??

What should be more questioned is why we continue to have controversy over these type of decisions.
If the ref goes to the video then they should not make any decision on the field fullstop!..that way it is judged on its merits and the usually dud decision made by the onfield ref is irrelevant.

Why go to the video ref if you award it a try?...pretty simple really...if there is doubt then go to the video ref to decide.

Why are we still talking about these things years after introducing the video ref....all refs are shit anyway and the video doesn't lie
No. the General was the back up but it was Maxwells call. You're going over old ground with the "ref shouldn't give a decision thing". We changed it years ago because the refs wouldn't and then the video ref didn't have a clear angle and had to make a decision based on what they could see. The game was set up for the referee to do his job. The way it is now he is actually doing his job by making the call but he has the added advantage if he is not sure of getting the video ref to review it in case he missed something. It actually makes more sense the way it is now, even though its frustrating that they still send way too many upstairs for review. If we didn't have video then the ref would be making the decision on his own. That's what he is doing now - just with a double check by the video ref when needed.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
It was a no try...get over it

Status
Not open for further replies.