Des Hasler Joins Bulldogs - 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

marsvolta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
credibility.

dogs were losing it, they now have it back.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's been a long 4 or even 5 years since the glory days, I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

The BEAR

ROAR talent
Reaction score
finally...

a coach who can give our team some structure and flair in attack. Here's hoping.

L

loui323

Awesome news but I reckon this has fked us for 2012. We have only a caretaker coach and a lot of the players will be looking forward to playing under hasler.
No i don't think so... if anything the boys will play there a$$es off if they want a spot in the team in 2013, Des will be watching and he will be deciding on who stays or goes.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
finally...

a coach who can give our team some structure and flair in attack. Here's hoping.
Not to mention the defensive line speed. The way the eagles come off their line every tackle is awesome

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ok so I'm all WTF. Local radio today announced that DES signed with manly for 3 years thwarting our attempt to snare him. But on news.com it says he's ours in 2013. Hmmm. If it's true I'm disappointed. JD has to coach next year knowing he's gone even if we win the premiership. Very bizarre. Despite how good a coach DES might be, this is a sh1tty situation and for the first time I'd be p1ssed off with Todd. IF it's true of course. I don't believe it till it's on bulldogs website.
Its all a lot of BS. A player who earns hundreds of thousands a year risking his career so a few people can win a few bets. Its a lot of rubbish and will be proven to be so. Must be a slow news day, they are filling in the vacant spaces with fiction.

Anybody who believes it is an assclown.

And special Kudos to the nuff in this thread who says his opinion of Tandy is tarnished, coz of some unproven piece of nonsense in the media.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
DUAL Manly premiership-winning coach Des Hasler will leave the club at the end of next season to join NRL rivals Canterbury.

Manly and Canterbury officials will officially announce the move tomorrow morning.

Sea Eagles chairman Scott Penn is understood to have met Hasler this morning where he was informed the club's long-time coach would not sign an extension to his existing deal.

The Sea Eagles had feared the worst amid speculation the Bulldogs had upped their offer beyond the reported $750,000 per season.

Manly, hamstrung by financial considerations - they were expected to lose in excess of $1.4 million this year before their grand final success eased the burden - were simply unable to compete.

Both the Bulldogs and Sea Eagles have scheduled announcements this morning where the coaching switch will be confirmed.

Caretaker Canterbury coach Jim Dymock will take charge of the side next season before Hasler arrives in 2013 at Belmore.

The only way that will change is if Manly elects to let Hasler leave early, although that appears unlikely.

The club does have someone in place to take the reins, with Hasler's assistant Geoff Toovey part of a long-term succession plan the club had in place.

While no Manly officials were available for comment, departing media manager Peter Peters wrote a column on The Manly Daily's website in which he spoke about the prospects of Hasler leaving at the end of 2012.

"This is a bombshell I never ever wanted to write but I believe there is every chance Manly’s super coach Des Hasler will end his coaching career with the Sea Eagles in the 2012 season," Peters wrote.

"The two-time premiership coach has been chased hard by the Bulldogs and there are suggestions that an announcement regarding Hasler’s future beyond next season may be made as early as today.

"Several members of Sunday’s grand final winning side stressed concern about Hasler’s long term future to me as late as Thursday night during a get together at the Steyne Hotel.

“Hasler will be paid more than $1 million a season if he goes to the Bulldogs and will sit alongside Wayne Bennett and Craig Bellamy as the highest paid coaches in rugby league.

" I can believe that Dessie is now on a hiding to nothing. He has climbed Everest twice in five years and to do it again would be akin to walking up the hill at The Spit. He lives his life with new challenges and in his own words he is a control freak. I figure he has looked around him at Manly and decided its time to move on.

"If he does go it will be the biggest explosion to hit the club since Bob Fulton left for the Roosters straight after the 1976 grand final."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-belmore-in-2013/story-e6frg7mf-1226161292976

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
DUAL Manly premiership-winning coach Des Hasler will leave the club at the end of next season to join NRL rivals Canterbury.

Manly and Canterbury officials will officially announce the move tomorrow morning.

Sea Eagles chairman Scott Penn is understood to have met Hasler this morning where he was informed the club's long-time coach would not sign an extension to his existing deal.

The Sea Eagles had feared the worst amid speculation the Bulldogs had upped their offer beyond the reported $750,000 per season.

Manly, hamstrung by financial considerations - they were expected to lose in excess of $1.4 million this year before their grand final success eased the burden - were simply unable to compete.

Both the Bulldogs and Sea Eagles have scheduled announcements this morning where the coaching switch will be confirmed.

Caretaker Canterbury coach Jim Dymock will take charge of the side next season before Hasler arrives in 2013 at Belmore.

The only way that will change is if Manly elects to let Hasler leave early, although that appears unlikely.

The club does have someone in place to take the reins, with Hasler's assistant Geoff Toovey part of a long-term succession plan the club had in place.

While no Manly officials were available for comment, departing media manager Peter Peters wrote a column on The Manly Daily's website in which he spoke about the prospects of Hasler leaving at the end of 2012.

"This is a bombshell I never ever wanted to write but I believe there is every chance Manly’s super coach Des Hasler will end his coaching career with the Sea Eagles in the 2012 season," Peters wrote.

"The two-time premiership coach has been chased hard by the Bulldogs and there are suggestions that an announcement regarding Hasler’s future beyond next season may be made as early as today.

"Several members of Sunday’s grand final winning side stressed concern about Hasler’s long term future to me as late as Thursday night during a get together at the Steyne Hotel.

“Hasler will be paid more than $1 million a season if he goes to the Bulldogs and will sit alongside Wayne Bennett and Craig Bellamy as the highest paid coaches in rugby league.

" I can believe that Dessie is now on a hiding to nothing. He has climbed Everest twice in five years and to do it again would be akin to walking up the hill at The Spit. He lives his life with new challenges and in his own words he is a control freak. I figure he has looked around him at Manly and decided its time to move on.

"If he does go it will be the biggest explosion to hit the club since Bob Fulton left for the Roosters straight after the 1976 grand final."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-belmore-in-2013/story-e6frg7mf-1226161292976
As Fatty would say "He's gooooooooooone"

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
hahaha great news only cause its manly I hear there number 6 is good as well

B

Baghdatis

Press Conference Tommorow sometime. Should be on Fox Sports News LIVE. But usually Daily Telegraph show the presser live on their website for important things..

Karat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Press Conference Tommorow sometime. Should be on Fox Sports News LIVE. But usually Daily Telegraph show the presser live on their website for important things..
thanks scoop

neovo89

Kennel Established
Reaction score
how positive are you?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Will you be reporting live from the press conference?

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
Does this mean we might sign t-Rex? Also I heard both Stewart bros have get out clause if hasler leaves

hotdiggitydogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Why are people worrying about get out clauses for the Stewart brothers, we have a fullback who will only get better in Barba, and enough 2nd rowers to fill 3 teams.

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed, bring me Joe Galuvao and Brent Kite.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
all i want from manly is foran, outside of des and crusher that is.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Anyone think Hasler is the wrong coach we should be getting. 2007 Manly made their first Grand Final, this is the same year Geoff Toovey became assistant coach. In the 3 years before that Hasler lead the team to only semi-final appearances, and in 2004 they missed the 8. Since Toovey has been assistant they have won 2 premierships and played in 3 Grand finals.

Just a Thought.
it normally takes a few years to get your contingency plans smoothed out to a well oiled machine. it's a mere coincidence.

it is for that reason that it may take a season or two or three for des to get things sorted out the way he runs things - if he is indeed coming here

LOL they haven't even enjoyed there grandfinal win for a week with Hoppo going to Parra and Des going to the Bulldogs LMAO!!
along with the tandy court case and the stewart boys running their personal grievances on the podium/stage as well. hardly heard anything about the premiership at all. arguably a prime example of an anti-climax :p

Acoording to rleague.com

Three players also have get-out clauses if Hasler leaves: Brett Stewart, Glenn Stewart and Kieran Foran
if any of them - only foran for mine. don't need the stewarts and do not want. but from what i understand, foran doesn't have the clause. we shall see. gotta get the coach first :p

I reckon Tooves will still do a great job, he has been mentored under Hasler for quite a while now.
your lot should be fine. might take a couple of years, with new coach and players leaving and what not, but i can't see too much that needs drastic attention. typical of our comp with the salary cap set up we have at the moment.
just keep them M.D. real estate deals (and all the other cap cheating options commonly used by the top clubs) coming for the players (just like M.D. did so well for years leading into the 2007/2008 seasons) and you'll be sweet
;)

if its true, and greenburg has got des **** me. club wise for our image, for the health of the club financially is outstanding then if we get des with his dear mate crusher all we need is a 5/8 and we are really in for a GREAT few years.
if all is true - it will certainly get us back on track to our former glory and we can fast track ourselves to getting back to who we use to be. producing our own and keeping the production line of juniors consistently coming through. todd has got everything else sorted out, just need a coach to come in and set up the football side of things. bennett, hasler or bellamy will do, for a few years,

then we'll be sweet. dymock can take over after that and he'll be better for the experience under a proven top coach. if all is true, this will be the 2nd major positive turning point since our 2004 triumph. the other great turning point being the aquisition of todd greenberg who has completely turned this club around like no other recent ceo in our comp could have

along with Cherry, get rid of Keating and Hodkinson
don't need or want DCE (not that we'd get him anyway). hodko will play even better under these circumstances and showed great form at the back end of this season to prove he has the potential to be a good halfback for us. with better coaching and better support from his team, watch his space

love the fact that hasler is comin over but am i the only one that thinks this is a kick in the teeth for dymock??
not the only one, but most see the other perspective and also see that dymock may have actually been fully aware of what has been happening by being kept in the loop by greenberg and co. have a chat with him, find out for us
:grinning:

I want to play finals as well.

I just dont like the way its played out in the media and the treatment of JD.
for all we know, JD has been kept in the loop by management and is keen to learn from des, for his own future development

I've got mixed feelings. Hasler is a great coach no doubt. But what if JD guides us to a top 4 finish next year and is really building something special. We just flick him and start over again with a new coach? But the chances of JD actually doing something worthwhile are diminished because he knows no matter what he does, he won't be in it for the long haul. The same goes for Manly - not the same extent because, no doubt Hasler will want to go out on a good note. But it's still not ideal for either club. Which begs the question: Why don't Manly just release Hasler now so that both clubs can start building for their futures right away? This is the only rational conclusion to this situation. It's simply silly to be going around next year under these circumstances. Imagine both JD and Hasler having to answer endless questions from the media and having their motives constantly questioned all year. It's simply untenable.
jim will learn from des. that is a major plus for him and this could be for the long haul as we may look to him when des goes, after he learns alot from him - if all is true with the signing

If Dymock wants to be a successful coach he will stick around and learn of Hassler after his contract expires if he is even offered one! Otherwise he will be a dead beat like Filter was.
It’s a business and we need another premiership!
Greenberg may still be working on getting him for 2012 yet.
His motivation is to secure himself another coaching role after next year. If he throws a tantrum and doesnt try he may as well kiss his coaching career goodbye. Its pretty simple really.
These are grown man who dont throw tantrums when something doesnt go there way (unlike most on here)
Lets face it, we didnt exactly improve in leaps and bounds under him last year. Hasler is a proven top tier coach, and we would have been stupid to not try and acquire his services.
Some of you need to grow up and get a clue.
All of you are assuming that Dymock is not happy about this. I wouldnt know either, but if I was in Dymock's shoes, yeah I'de be spewing that I wont be head coach, but I would also know im still young and I have the opportunity to learn my trade under another top coach. He can learn master his trade from hasler and improve himself as a coach.

This is from my perspective anyway. I am probably dead wrong, but like I said, if I was in Dymock's shoes, I would not mind stepping aside and learning from one of the best coaches in the league. Also, just because he is assistant coach, does not mean that he is on **** money.
What is this gap year BS??? Just because it may be a different coach the year after, the players dont / wont try next year?? Is that what your telling me??? What a warped way to think. Those players are also playing for their future, so if anything they should be trying harder knowing the new coach has no favourites and will be starting out fresh. Dymock will be trying hard to secure a future coaching role.
This is Greenberg brilliance. Had everyone, media and the idiots at Manly including Penn and Perry fooled for months.

Hats off to Mr Greenberg.

The new construction at Belmore better be solid because Dessie is going to give it a workout!
Ofcourse TG is denying them. He is most likely respecting Hasler's wishes of informing his team tonight at the awards ceremony.
exactly - if all is true on the signing

People shouldn't also just assume success with Hasler and will need to give him time if he comes over.

Obviously he's a great hire and a great coach. I'm not doubting that at all and would be thrilled if we secured his services. But people underestimate how hard it is to replicate what he had at one club at another club. Many great coaches haven't had the same success at another club as he did at one. It'll take a few seasons probably for Hasler to get the players he wants, get the team playing the way he wants it to and getting rid of all of the many bad habits that are throughout the team and club. It won't be as easy as taking a talented roster to immediate success.

But Hasler has proven that he is a great coach and hopefully we get Cleal as well which would be another huge piece of the puzzle. At least if we get them both we'll know we're in great hands and the club would have done all the could to change our sliding fortunes.
correct. it will take a little while for des to get his set up organised and running smoothly. might not see the fruits of his labour until the 2nd or 3rd season - if the reports are true on the signing and for 3 years

Sweet Pete 16

Waterboy
Reaction score
Woah this is out of control. Just read this then googled it and there are soooooo many stories "supporting" this. Cumberland Courier Newspapers, Herald Sun, The Australian, foxsports.com.au, dailytelegraoh.com.au, bigpond sport...... etc etc and so forth

Status
Not open for further replies.