Cotric to raiders in 2022

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
How much too much? Is it $100k too much? $150k? $200k? After we share his contract value with Canbra for 2 years how much do we actually save? Not enough to get a player anywhere near his capability that's for sure.

Always a Bulldog
Maybe enough to stop uncle Nick poaching Alomoti

I reckon he is on 150-200k too much btw

DoggiesUtd

ps3- DoggiesUtd
Reaction score
Nick Meaney
didnt really excite me though
Dufty was in a crappy stmerge team and regardless of his defensive issues - he was always the best in attack which is what we lack!
Dufty on his own i would not be excited about - dufty with what we've got for this season and next - then yes he should be well in the mix of our attacking points

cotric was overpaid, nothing against the guy --if hes on 400k maybe even 500k - yeh good, but doesnt bring enough to justify the cap space

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There is no way the bunnies paying a big chunk of Allen’s contract. We chased him and gave him a new deal. Not took on his old one.

Sorry mate that’s just pie in the sky.
That’s right. And it’s all thanks to Barrett’s exceptional ability to spot and recruit talent like Allen along with his other star signings Flanagan, Waddell, Hetherington and Elliott.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Meaney is miles ahead in terms of defence and he got bagged for it....it's going to be a dead set shit show on here if Dufty hasn't made any major improvements when our fans finally see him in our colours.
Definitely gunna be some blow outs for and against in 22. Hopefully he his sharpened his d enough to make a dent in the tight ones :tearsofjoy:

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
didnt really excite me though
Dufty was in a crappy stmerge team and regardless of his defensive issues - he was always the best in attack which is what we lack!
Dufty on his own i would not be excited about - dufty with what we've got for this season and next - then yes he should be well in the mix of our attacking points

cotric was overpaid, nothing against the guy --if hes on 400k maybe even 500k - yeh good, but doesnt bring enough to justify the cap space
Yeah I know what you're saying and I'm excited about Dufty's attack aswell. Just saying we will miss Meaneys defence because I don't think Dufty is capable of being as good a defender, and in sone games has been missing on both sides of the ball.

Hopefully the change and the clubs direction lights something up inside him. Hopefully that something is not Kurt Gapewell

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Definitely gunna be some blow outs for and against in 22. Hopefully he his sharpened his d enough to make a dent in the tight ones :tearsofjoy:
Well considering people that have gone to watch us train have reported that he's lagging behind in the drills then I very much doubt there's going to be any improvement lol

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I have listened to each of the Catch up with Gus podcasts a couple of times and I did not hear anything that remotely resembles the 2023 Cap being "in trouble". Plus I simply don't see how it can possibly be "in trouble" since we have 9 players off contract Doorey, Dufty, RFM, TKatoa, JMK, Stimson, Topine, Vaughan and Wakeham. Plus Hetherington is on a Mutual Option, so he could well be gone too.

With the average NRL player contract being ~3 years and 30 players that means 10 players should on average be off contract every year. Guess what, we have 9 or maybe 10 players off contract at the end of 2022. If our Cap is "in trouble" with 9 or 10 players off contract then it is going to be "in trouble" every farkin year.

Always a Bulldog
Sorry bud it was the Members Q&A video with himself Khoury and Warburton. He says we’re compliant for ‘22 and had made some signings which were gonna impact on ‘23.

Everyone here spilled there lollies over that comment but there it is.

He wants space for. ‘23 and Cotric is part of that.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Sorry bud it was the Members Q&A video with himself Khoury and Warburton. He says we’re compliant for ‘22 and had made some signings which were gonna impact on ‘23.
Everyone here spilled there lollies over that comment but there it is.
He wants space for. ‘23 and Cotric is part of that.
"gonna impact"? I'm sure signing Kikau and Mahony had an "impact" on 2023, but even with them added we still have 8 spots currently free. Plus if Cotric does leave that means 9 spots available. How much farkin Cap space do we need for 2023, is 9 player's spots not enough? FMD he must have some $big players in mind that he wants to sign, and if their contract finish at the end of 2022 we can sign them now anyway. If the Cap issue actually exist it's 2023 and there is still some 15 months to fix any issues that arise. It could be 18 months if we stretch to the NRL deadline in July 2023.

My problem with this hasn't changed, why are we farkin up 2022 when we have plenty of time to take any Cap rectifying action well before 2023.

Always a Bulldog

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"gonna impact"? I'm sure signing Kikau and Mahony had an "impact" on 2023, but even with them added we still have 8 spots currently free. Plus if Cotric does leave that means 9 spots available. How much farkin Cap space do we need for 2023, is 9 player's spots not enough? FMD he must have some $big players in mind that he wants to sign, and if their contract finish at the end of 2022 we can sign them now anyway. If the Cap issue actually exist it's 2023 and there is still some 15 months to fix any issues that arise. It could be 18 months if we stretch to the NRL deadline in July 2023.

My problem with this hasn't changed, why are we farkin up 2022 when we have plenty of time to take any Cap rectifying action well before 2023.

Always a Bulldog
Hey mate. Long time fan of your logical way of thinking.

I AM SORRY TO INFORM YOU.

Part of the terms and conditions paragraph 52.8 of The Kennel states
Logic must be left outside.
You are only allowed to run around while flayling your arms wildly in panic and Terror whilst jumping to conclusions based from 1 line of information from news articles written by Drunken old bastrds that are clawing for any semblance of remaining relevant in the NRL.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see Dufty's defence or Cotric's attack being the difference for us in 22. Dufty won't last long in FG unless his attacking efforts outweigh his shit defence. And whatever Gus's motive for moving Cotric on, he'll have plans for the dollars it frees up to take us forward, even if it's going back short term to balance the squad better for the future. I've got a feeling someone else is coming for '22 though.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
the club must think that we have wingers equal to Cotric ability? can only assume this.
whats your thoughts?
If players like Vaughn and Dufty are proving good value, they will need an upgrade. can they front load them this year so it wont effect the cap in 23/24?

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Okunbor scored try of the season, wtf did Choctrich do on big money?? Stub his toe, it's embarrassing marquee money and Okunbor has shown him up.

We have to be honest as fans and not sugar coat the salary cap mess.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Okunbor scored try of the season, wtf did Choctrich do on big money?? Stub his toe, it's embarrassing marquee money and Okunbor has shown him up.

We have to be honest as fans and not sugar coat the salary cap mess.
Okunbor's nowhere near Cotric if we're being honest. Raiders (and 2 other clubs) are willing to pay ~500k for Cotric. Okunbor would be lucky to get 200k. Cotric's at least twice the player of Okunbor.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Nick Meaney was actually a pretty good defensive fb and i think we will also miss his bomb defusions.

Excited about Dufty's attack for sure but just as nervous to see him on the other side of the ball.

Would actually like to see what JAC can do there
Meaney was great, copped a raw deal poor kid.

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Same reason that’s been noted about 3-4 times now - because the deal is available now.

You mightn’t like the reason but that is the reason.

And you can never assume there’ll ne a better or even another “cap rectifying action” available, because what if there ain’t?

Your assumptions won’t help you then.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this his dog back home in Canberra perhaps?

Screenshot 2021-12-14 193223.jpg

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He got better service at raiders. They actually gave him ball in space so he did not have to crab around looking for it.
To be fair to Cotric our go forward was shithouse, both because our dummy half play was slow and poor quality and also because our forwards should have actually been called backwards...

I don’t give a shit what anyone says, the games momentum is always cemented in the middle and everything rolls off that.

So does Gus by the looks of our recruitment..

Malla

Reaction score
Same reason that’s been noted about 3-4 times now - because the deal is available now.

You mightn’t like the reason but that is the reason.

And you can never assume there’ll ne a better or even another “cap rectifying action” available, because what if there ain’t?

Your assumptions won’t help you then.
Yeah lol why can’t people get that the Opportunity to release him now may not be there in a year because teams that are interest might not have the cap space to take him and I imagine Gus would have asked him what his preference was and he wanted to return to Canberra so he made it happen. We don’t need him. He’s a surplus to our requirements, on far too much coin for his position considering others we have signed playing his position this past year plus young talent coming through.
It’s a win win for us and Cotric. Good luck to him