Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Virgin Australia has released a statement asking everyone on one of their Sydney to Melbourne flights to go into immediate quarantine.

Apparently two US travellers arrived in Sydney and flew to Melbourne without going in to Hotel Quarantine. They haven't confirmed if the travellers have the virus.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Virgin Australia has released a statement asking everyone on one of their Sydney to Melbourne flights to go into immediate quarantine.

Apparently two US travellers arrived in Sydney and flew to Melbourne without going in to Hotel Quarantine. They haven't confirmed if the travellers have the virus.
Any news items on this yet?

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Any news items on this yet?
Found one

If it is shown that the two travellers disobeyed clear instructions they should have the book thrown at them. Why are we getting us travellers anyway?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Heartbreaking image from US ICU goes viral
It’s the viral image that a doctor in the US admits he did not expect to receive so much attention. The picture has been labelled “dystopian”.

Rohan Smith
ro_smith

For the second day in a row, the United States on Friday notched a record number of coronavirus cases in 24 hours, reaching 225,201 new infections, according to a tally by Johns Hopkins University.
In that same period, the country recorded 2506 Covid-related deaths, real-time data provided by the Baltimore-based university stated.
The numbers are absolutely staggering. But the personal cost can be hard to grasp for those unaffected by the tragedy of losing a loved one.
It’s why images like the one going viral from a US intensive care unit are so important.
On Friday, a family doctor shared a picture of a room full of iPads on stands, alongside the caption: “These are iPad stations being prepared for virtual ICU end of life visits by a palliative care doc I know. Jesus.”

The jarring image was shared by other healthcare professionals, including Trisha Greenhalgh, professor of primary care at the UK’s University of Oxford.
She wrote: “This is not where I anticipated we’d end up when I started researching video consultations 12 years ago.”
Ex-Harvard epidemiologist Eric Feigl-Ding wrote: “iPads stockpiled for ICU end of life goodbyes … was not something Steve Jobs foresaw.”
The comments on the tweet, which was shared hundreds of thousands of times, included stories from Americans who had watched their loved ones fade away via screen.

“On Monday my boyfriend said goodbye to his mother on an iPad. He didn’t get one last hug or simply hold her hand. He sat behind glass & held an iPad to try and prevent doing the same goodbye with his elderly father. I have rage. I can’t even be sad yet because I’m just so angry,” one person wrote.
“I had to do this with my mother,” another wrote. “She wasn’t even conscious, hooked up to the ventilator. Worst thing I’ve done in my life behind seeing her lifeless in a casket. People that still call this a hoax can truly f*** off. It didn’t have to be like this.”

The United States — the country with the most coronavirus cases and deaths in the world — has seen a dramatic resurgence in its epidemic in recent weeks.
It had surpassed 200,000 new daily cases three times in the past month, peaking at more than 210,000 between Wednesday and Thursday.
US health officials warned of a surge after millions of Americans travelled to celebrate last week’s Thanksgiving holiday despite pleas from authorities to stay home.
For two weeks, the US has regularly topped 2000 deaths per day, as it had in the spring at the height of the first wave of the country’s outbreak.
The number of people hospitalised with COVID-19 is also steadily increasing, especially in the most populous states of California, Florida, New York and Texas, according to the COVID Tracking Project.
The United States has recorded more than 14.3 million Covid cases and 278,000 related deaths since the start of the pandemic.
It really is very sad to think that so many people won't even be able to have contact with their loved ones in their final hours. One of the scariest things is that a huge portion of the US population wouldn't even be able to afford hospital care or testing, so it's quite probable that the reported cases in the US area significant underestimation of how bad the situation is there.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
It really is very sad to think that so many people won't even be able to have contact with their loved ones in their final hours. One of the scariest things is that a huge portion of the US population wouldn't even be able to afford hospital care or testing, so it's quite probable that the reported cases in the US area significant underestimation of how bad the situation is there.
The U.S. case fatality rate (2%) is significantly lower than most other major nations. In the u.K for example the case fatality rate is 3.6%.

i.e. if you get covid in america, your chance of dying is less than in many other countries including the u.k.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
In fact the American case fatality rate is materially better than Australia’s. America at 2% while Australia is 3.3%.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Related top article by a top bloke I shit talk with occasionally. Ethan is a great physicist and has an epic beard. But he also posts some great articles for Forbes. This article is pretty relevant to the trust problems cause by the likes of Trump

It’s a situation that comes up all too frequently: an expert in their field publicly states a conclusion that is thoroughly accepted by the overwhelming majority of professionals who work in that field, only to get a deluge of responses from the public.

Although the individual content of those responses will vary, the gist of them is usually the same:

• a declaration that the expert is wrong,
  • an assertion that a non-consensus opinion is instead correct,
  • and an accusation that the expert themselves is either corrupt, intellectually compromised, or a victim of groupthink.

Sometimes, of course, even the best experts are mistaken. Sometimes, the best evidence points to one conclusion, but then new evidence comes along that throws that conclusion into doubt. And sometimes, a brilliant outsider or newcomer can emerge in a field, showing a new and superior path forward in our understanding of whatever we’re investigating. But most of the time — practically all of the time — there are serious gaps and fundamental misunderstandings at work in the knowledge and mindset of the non-expert, not an oversight or an error on the part of the expert. Here’s a handy guide to when you should (and shouldn’t) explain an expert’s field to them.

Are you also an expert in that field?

It’s vital to understand that experts often disagree, particularly when they’re talking about the absolute frontiers of their fields. For example, the first model that was put forth to consider the large-scale effects of global warming due to CO2 emission was published all the way back in 1967, and the major conclusions that it reached back then are still valid. Atmospheric circulation was understood, and that enabled very accurate predictions of how changing the CO2 concentration in the atmosphere would affect the temperature of the atmosphere: where doubling the concentration would increase the temperature (with fixed relative humidity) by about 2 °C.

This is tremendously consistent with the observed warming of about 1 °C, since the first accurate global temperatures were measured back in the 1880s, and the increase in CO2 concentration from the start of the industrial revolution, of about 50%. Those large-scale effects are not seriously debated by experts in the field for very good reasons: the evidence agrees with theoretical predictions. However, many aspects of modeling — ice sheet melting, cloud processes, and the impact on ecosystems and human society — are actively being studied. This is where experts often argue, and this should be the case.

If you’re also an expert, feel free to argue with other experts about the frontiers of your field.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The U.S. case fatality rate (2%) is significantly lower than most other major nations. In the u.K for example the case fatality rate is 3.6%.

i.e. if you get covid in america, your chance of dying is less than in many other countries including the u.k.
It's now the biggest killer in the usa above anything, and their medical system is buckling

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Lol he was saying it was sad people have to save goodbye to their loved ones and how bad it is and you come out with this why lol
You once were using its not as bad as April, it got worse ,you once said its not the biggest killer in America it now is
You can use and stat you want the FACT is the situation in the usa and the way they handled it is diabolical

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah I heard. How the hell did that bloody happen? Did they find them?
I think they did wrap them up in Melbourne and put them in quarantine. No idea how it happened

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
NSW police are apparently owning the error.
Did I hear they basically just lied to the cops and said they had some sort of exemption?

And a tip off came from a guy working at Melbourne airport who thought they were suss?

Status
Not open for further replies.