Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Yep. I'm eagerly awaiting @Dawgfather analysis and deflection, however I concede that I may have to wait until Andrew bolt and Tucker Carlson put their bullshit spin on it, so that dawgfather knows what to argue.
I haven't kept up with the story (or even read the initial stories) until I read the link you referenced. I don't really know enough to comment.

In terms of my thoughts on the virus and the best way to manage restrictions, I would support government taking a tailored approach where some parts of the country have tougher restrictions than other. Urban high population density areas should be tougher and rural areas should be more relaxed where possible.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
This video has been doing the rounds today. This is an interview with the lead epidemeologist in Sweden. The policies they have in place are basically the same as Australia except lockdowns aren't enforced, just encouraged. Pubs and clubs are still open. Groups are limited to 50 people.

He believes that the death rate is actually around 0.1% (same as the flu) and that at least 50% of the population is already infected, we just haven't tested.

Of course he then confuses it by saying first, "Old people are the most vulnerable and they are going to die anyway" but then saying "we need to protect the old". He says "Lockdowns and travel bans are pointless" but then says "We can't stop the infection but need to slow it down"

He's also basically saying that he's right while every other country lead is wrong.

It's also important to note that Sweden has a very high death rate (10% of confirmed cases)

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a neighbour openly break the unnecessary travel restrictions yesterday.

He moved two cars to take out his mustang for a drive. Whatever his reason for travel surely the mustang was not required as opposed to his ute or corolla. It was a kick in the teeth.

Can someone explain why the mustang was required for the essential travel? I think the government needs to clamp down on type of vehicle used. I've if you moved other vehicles to access this vehicle it's a clear breach

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

He moved two cars to take out his mustang for a drive. Whatever his reason for travel surely the mustang was not required as opposed to his ute or corolla. It was a kick in the teeth.

Can someone explain why the mustang was required for the essential travel? I think the government needs to clamp down on type of vehicle used. I've if you moved other vehicles to access this vehicle it's a clear breach
Your right, make an example of him fire bomb his garage tonight, then rape him while twisting his ear telling him to squeal like a pig

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Update on NZ Covid-19
9 new cases, no new Deaths.
We will stay in alert level 4 for another week, until 27th April, then we go to level 3, with basically all the same rules in place, just loosened a little, for some business etc, we will stay at level 3 for 2 weeks. Then it will get looked at again. Also there is no community transmissions (Awesome news)

Level 3 -

Social distancing.. 2 metres
No gatherings
Stay in bubble/stay home
Schools remain shut
So no change really at all.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

Maybe because that pile of shit on wheels was stinking up his garage?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Given China have reopened the wet markets, it would seem plausible that the virus DID NOT originate there. If it originated in the markets then why would they have already reopened them?

I think China offered that excuse originally because it removes the communist government from direct responsibility.

More likely is the idea that the virus made it's way out of the laboratory somehow (I heard someone offer the explanation that the 'used' animals were taken out by a scientist and sold at the wet markets (would not surprise me).

Either way, some of the practices in China are absolutely filthy they are abhorent and what makes matters worse is that the Chinese Communist Parties record on animal rights is nothing compared to what they do to minority humans in their country (or to anyone who says anything that the communist party doesn't like).

In addition to the above, China has spent the last decade marching around the world, forcing poorer countries into debt (Africa and South East Asia and even PNJ and Fiji).

I despise most things to do with China (in the form it exists in today). I know some great chinese australians and they generally have the same feelings towards China, although there are many Chinese in Australia who are agents of the Chinese Communist Party as well.
I think that it's a decent assumption to say that the virus didn't originate from the Wet Market though I'm not sure basing that assumption on the Wet Markets being reopened as evidence that it was.

Doubt we'll ever truly know the truth as China will never allow the full details of what actually happened come to light. Some would say their biggest crime was to cover up their inadequate response to the outbreak. I'd go as far to say that they were responsible for creating the virus in the first place, though it'll always be up for debate.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Virgin just got fucked....

Gone into administration.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Here's a good article that covers a lot of the misinformation surrounding the virus. Here's the second on the "man-made" virus claims:

https://medium.com/swlh/misinformation-goes-viral-1aad951e4492

The virus is NOT man made. Scientists can compare the sequence of the new virus with other known viruses and determine how similar it is. The most similar virus is a coronavirus found in bats and the differences are due to mutations that occur through natural evolution, rather than an artificial sequence that was suddenly added.There are literally billions of viruses, all with different hosts and life-cycles…some mutations allow those viruses to jump into new hosts. The clearest picture so far is that SARS-COV-2 originated from bats and maybe an intermediate host. The most likely scenario is that this jump from an intermediate host happened in the wild animal market in Wuhan https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(20)30328-7

In addition, the interaction between the virus spike protein (that make the “crown” of proteins that stick out from the balloon-like membrane) and the human receptor ACE2, which allows the virus to get into human cells, is something that would be extremely hard to engineer given the knowledge at the time https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9

4/17 UPDATE: There are insinuations that a lab in China working on bat coronaviruses may have let the virus “escape”. There’s a lot of finger pointing by various US agencies, but I’ve yet to see any scientific analysis that makes this claim credible…so far. There’s also precedent for coronaviruses jumping hosts and into humans, both SARS and MERS for example. Indeed, scientists had publicly warned that this would be one of the most probable causes for an international virus outbreak. Here’s a good write up on the evidence for all of this:

A Virologist Explains Why It Is Unlikely COVID-19 Escaped From A Lab
Nearly five months into the first coronavirus pandemic, the debate rages on over the source of SARS-CoV-2, the virus…
www.forbes.com

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone who speaks the truth in China is likely to end up on an organ donation list within a couple of days.

The entire world should be joined together in protest against China right now and imposing the toughest sanctions the world has ever seen (but this won't happen because too many weak and greedy individuals in western countries have set things up to profit from China).

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Here's a good article that covers a lot of the misinformation surrounding the virus. Here's the second on the "man-made" virus claims:

https://medium.com/swlh/misinformation-goes-viral-1aad951e4492

The virus is NOT man made. Scientists can compare the sequence of the new virus with other known viruses and determine how similar it is. The most similar virus is a coronavirus found in bats and the differences are due to mutations that occur through natural evolution, rather than an artificial sequence that was suddenly added.There are literally billions of viruses, all with different hosts and life-cycles…some mutations allow those viruses to jump into new hosts. The clearest picture so far is that SARS-COV-2 originated from bats and maybe an intermediate host. The most likely scenario is that this jump from an intermediate host happened in the wild animal market in Wuhan https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(20)30328-7

In addition, the interaction between the virus spike protein (that make the “crown” of proteins that stick out from the balloon-like membrane) and the human receptor ACE2, which allows the virus to get into human cells, is something that would be extremely hard to engineer given the knowledge at the time https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9

4/17 UPDATE: There are insinuations that a lab in China working on bat coronaviruses may have let the virus “escape”. There’s a lot of finger pointing by various US agencies, but I’ve yet to see any scientific analysis that makes this claim credible…so far. There’s also precedent for coronaviruses jumping hosts and into humans, both SARS and MERS for example. Indeed, scientists had publicly warned that this would be one of the most probable causes for an international virus outbreak. Here’s a good write up on the evidence for all of this:

A Virologist Explains Why It Is Unlikely COVID-19 Escaped From A Lab
Nearly five months into the first coronavirus pandemic, the debate rages on over the source of SARS-CoV-2, the virus…
www.forbes.com
Love your enthusiasm for studies hacky but do you honestly think those spouting the conspiracy theories are going to trust scientific studies?

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I haven't kept up with the story (or even read the initial stories) until I read the link you referenced. I don't really know enough to comment.

In terms of my thoughts on the virus and the best way to manage restrictions, I would support government taking a tailored approach where some parts of the country have tougher restrictions than other. Urban high population density areas should be tougher and rural areas should be more relaxed where possible.
Ok, so Tucker Carlson and Andrew Bolt haven't addressed it yet, got it!

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Just in Australia though, right? In the UK they're still afloat ... just
The brand 'virgin australia' is not an accurate reflection of ownership.

I think Virgin itself only owns ~10% of Virgin Australia. The rest is owned by Singapore Airlines, Etihad Airlines, a Chinese private equity firm and a relatively smaller percentage owned by mum and dad investors via the ASX.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Virgin just got fucked....

Gone into administration.
It’s voluntary administration. Not liquidation. So not fucked yet!! Who ever is tasked with effectively taking over operations can’t see a resolution, than there fucked.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s voluntary administration. Not liquidation. So not fucked yet!! Who ever is tasked with effectively taking over operations can’t see a resolution, than there fucked.
they definitely won’t be in liquidation. They will be back.

Status
Not open for further replies.