Computer/Console Talk/Gaming Super Thread

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd still go for a better graphics card. Don't worry too much about getting an i7.

You'll also need another hard drive. The SSD is good for operating system and a few games but it'll fill up fast.
Yeah, wanted a better graphics card but the missus is breaking my balls. Something about "Baby being the priority" or something.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sorry, RAM is 16gb. It's 8gb x2.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
RAM and graphics card was important to me. Originally was 8gb of RAM and 1050ti and upgraded them both.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, wanted a better graphics card but the missus is breaking my balls. Something about "Baby being the priority" or something.
Use hand me downs babies grow every day keep him on the tit till age 2 with the savings upgrade pc

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score

Opinions, @Mr Invisible, @Hacky McAxe, @south of heaven and anyone else who knows their stuff.

Wanted an i7 and a better graphics card but I was told this is a good start for a gaming pc. I can always upgrade it in the future.
Honestly ... there's a LOT I'd change on this. Depends on your budget though.

Infact I'd question if the people selling this know what they are doing..

Since it's 3AM though a quick rundown.
- i7 over i5... there are significant increase, in particular if you are running flight sims.
- AData is cheap RAM, I wouldn't trust it longterm.
- Coolermaster Air Cooler - Why the fuck are they replacing the Intel stock cooler? Do they think they know better than the actual chip designers? Only replace the stock cooler if it's a K series CPU and you are overclocking the nuts out of it.
- Kingston SSDs are dead average. Samsung or Intel.. nothing else.
- Case and Wifi card are good.
- Coolermaster PSUs can be hit and miss. They are made by other vendors and rebadged, so hard to know if it'll be a thumbs up or down. I prefer Corsair (they have warranties to back them up). I hear the new Thermaltake Toughpowers are good, but haven't had much dealings with the new models (the old ones were stupidly good).
- Graphics card I'd go 1070 MINIMUM.
- 16GB is fine these days, anything more and it's somewhat a waste.

Reactions: K E

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Honestly ... there's a LOT I'd change on this. Depends on your budget though.

Infact I'd question if the people selling this know what they are doing..

Since it's 3AM though a quick rundown.
- i7 over i5... there are significant increase, in particular if you are running flight sims.
- AData is cheap RAM, I wouldn't trust it longterm.
- Coolermaster Air Cooler - Why the fuck are they replacing the Intel stock cooler? Do they think they know better than the actual chip designers? Only replace the stock cooler if it's a K series CPU and you are overclocking the nuts out of it.
- Kingston SSDs are dead average. Samsung or Intel.. nothing else.
- Case and Wifi card are good.
- Coolermaster PSUs can be hit and miss. They are made by other vendors and rebadged, so hard to know if it'll be a thumbs up or down. I prefer Corsair (they have warranties to back them up). I hear the new Thermaltake Toughpowers are good, but haven't had much dealings with the new models (the old ones were stupidly good).
- Graphics card I'd go 1070 MINIMUM.
- 16GB is fine these days, anything more and it's somewhat a waste.
I'm gonna tell the missus you crapped all over her Christmas present. Haha.

Nah, I hear you. Believe me there was a lot more I wanted to upgrade (mainly the graphics card) but something about a baby on the way.... She's selfish like that.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna tell the missus you crapped all over her Christmas present. Haha.

Nah, I hear you. Believe me there was a lot more I wanted to upgrade (mainly the graphics card) but something about a baby on the way.... She's selfish like that.
Just get what you can to play, work on the rest later ,10 minutes after flight sim with a mouse and keyboard and you will be looking into flight controls and thats another thing all together,

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Just get what you can to play, work on the rest later ,10 minutes after flight sim with a mouse and keyboard and you will be looking into flight controls and thats another thing all together,
That was my logic. Get something that can run games decently now and then upgrade.

Haha, yeah. My cousin has every piece of equipment and it cost him a bit.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That was my logic. Get something that can run games decently now and then upgrade.

Haha, yeah. My cousin has every piece of equipment and it cost him a bit.
Yeah the end of the day a cheap yoke rudder pedals and a throttle makes things pretty immersive, you can also download apps on tablet and phone for flight instruments

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Then ke you will be wanting a race whrl pedal ,then button boxes lol your fucked now.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
@K E what's your budget for all this ? I can probably quote up something you should be looking to get... Or has she already purchased it?

Also remind her that if your gaming it means your supervising the baby whilst she has a nap ;)

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Then ke you will be wanting a race whrl pedal ,then button boxes lol your fucked now.
Haha. I think it's why I held off moving to PC, TBH.

I'm glad I am as I'm sick of consoles. I mean there's already talk of PS5. FMD.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
@K E what's your budget for all this ? I can probably quote up something you should be looking to get... Or has she already purchased it?

Also remind her that if your gaming it means your supervising the baby whilst she has a nap ;)
That build was for roughly $1,500. Already got it as she wanted to get it before Christmas.

I'm happy to upgrade later on. Gotta get my head around modding games and that first. Been a console peasant all my life.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Haha. I think it's why I held off moving to PC, TBH.

I'm glad I am as I'm sick of consoles. I mean there's already talk of PS5. FMD.
Yep this gen is almost up ps5 possible push for 2019 so xbox would be watching .
There so much more things you can add to pc gaming . Once you start making a cockpit you're brain wont stop thinking what you can add .good thing these days plenty of cheap options about. There also a lot o things you can use for multy purposes

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
That build was for roughly $1,500. Already got it as she wanted to get it before Christmas.

I'm happy to upgrade later on. Gotta get my head around modding games and that first. Been a console peasant all my life.
Ahhh fair enough... gotta start somewhere... :grinning:

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

I'd advise against that. I was doing that once. The baby was calm and watching me play FIFA while she was in her bouncer. I scored a winning goal right at the death and cheered so loud the baby started scream crying!