Computer/Console Talk/Gaming Super Thread

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Mine was 10.1, I think? Told me to upgrade to a 1070.
Yeah. I had a look at yours. Turns out your Core i5 CPU is more than enough to handle your 1060. It can handle up to a 1080 without issue. The only time you'd encounter an issue with that setup is if you wet attempting to get over 150 frames per second in a game at 1080p.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you're planning to play in 1080p then you won't have an issue with the 1060. And you can always upgrade later.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah. I had a look at yours. Turns out your Core i5 CPU is more than enough to handle your 1060. It can handle up to a 1080 without issue. The only time you'd encounter an issue with that setup is if you wet attempting to get over 150 frames per second in a game at 1080p.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you're planning to play in 1080p then you won't have an issue with the 1060. And you can always upgrade later.
Yeah, that's the plan. And truth be told, I'd aim for 2K rather than 4K in the future.

Would a 1080 be enough for 2K with solid FPS?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the plan. And truth be told, I'd aim for 2K rather than 4K in the future.

Would a 1080 be enough for 2K with solid FPS?
Yep. I use a 1080 and never get under 60fps with any game at 2k. Can run a fair few games at 4k without issue too but have to sacrifice some settings.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep. I use a 1080 and never get under 60fps with any game at 2k. Can run a fair few games at 4k without issue too but have to sacrifice some settings.
That's my ultimate goal, TBH. Don't really care much about 4K gaming and all the BS that comes along with it. Just not worth it IMO.

Also, what's the deal with having an assload of RAM? Is it just a status thing because a lot of games require/recommend only 8gb. My neighbour has an MSI gaming laptop with 32gb RAM. Why would you need so much?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
That's my ultimate goal, TBH. Don't really care much about 4K gaming and all the BS that comes along with it. Just not worth it IMO.

Also, what's the deal with having an assload of RAM? Is it just a status thing because a lot of games require/recommend only 8gb. My neighbour has an MSI gaming laptop with 32gb RAM. Why would you need so much?
4k isn't really worth it for PC gaming. It's pointless unless you're playing on a 60 inch screen. 2k is the sweet spot.

RAM is a growing thing. Right now 16GB is the sweet spot. No higher, no lower. 8GB is enough in general but it'll end up struggling when you're doing non-gaming things. Plus some games will struggle.

Over 16GB is a little pointless especially if you have an SSD drive.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Checked mine ... 6.78% bottleneck.. That said this main rig of mine is an i5 4670 / 2 x 8GB RAM (16 total) / 16GB GTX 970 video card / 1 x 500GB SSD / 2 x 2TB SSHDDS in RAID 1.

Modern day gaming it'd struggle pushingg high FPS on games like The Witcher I reckon.

Once you go 32 or above it's really only helpful if you are doing mass data processing (e.g Exchange or SQL Server, or another large multi stream database), else it's pointless, and in some instances 32 can actually be slower than 16 or even 8.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Checked mine ... 6.78% bottleneck.. That said this main rig of mine is an i5 4670 / 2 x 8GB RAM (16 total) / 16GB GTX 970 video card / 1 x 500GB SSD / 2 x 2TB SSHDDS in RAID 1.

Modern day gaming it'd struggle pushingg high FPS on games like The Witcher I reckon.

Once you go 32 or above it's really only helpful if you are doing mass data processing (e.g Exchange or SQL Server, or another large multi stream database), else it's pointless, and in some instances 32 can actually be slower than 16 or even 8.
I checked my old setup I've been running for years (Core i5-6400, GTX1080) and it had a 33% bottleneck on the CPU.

Upgraded to an AMD Ryzen 2600 the other day and checked that one against the GTX1080. It has a 0.00001% bottleneck.

Pretty good for a $250 cpu

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I checked my old setup I've been running for years (Core i5-6400, GTX1080) and it had a 33% bottleneck on the CPU.

Upgraded to an AMD Ryzen 2600 the other day and checked that one against the GTX1080. It has a 0.00001% bottleneck.

Pretty good for a $250 cpu
You'd have required a new motherboard as well, or are we talking a totally new rig?

The 4xxx, 6xxx, and 8xxx Intel i5s were all major leap CPUS ... I think they refer to them as tick/tock, with tick being major and tock being minor refreshes.

Still clock up hard these days.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
You'd have required a new motherboard as well, or are we talking a totally new rig?

The 4xxx, 6xxx, and 8xxx Intel i5s were all major leap CPUS ... I think they refer to them as tick/tock, with tick being major and tock being minor refreshes.

Still clock up hard these days.
Yep. New MB. Needed one anyway as the old MB wasn't compatible with coffee Lake CPUs.

Was tossing up between the i5 8700k and the ryzen 5 2700x. Then I found out that the Ryzen 5 2600 overclocked is more than enough to handle any game and GPU right now and it's less than half the price.

Plus the new Ryzen CPUs are coming out next year and they're apparently more powerful than the 9000 range of the core i7s for much cheaper (if rumours are true). So I have the upgrade path ready to go.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Yep. New MB. Needed one anyway as the old MB wasn't compatible with coffee Lake CPUs.

Was tossing up between the i5 8700k and the ryzen 5 2700x. Then I found out that the Ryzen 5 2600 overclocked is more than enough to handle any game and GPU right now and it's less than half the price.

Plus the new Ryzen CPUs are coming out next year and they're apparently more powerful than the 9000 range of the core i7s for much cheaper (if rumours are true). So I have the upgrade path ready to go.
I went off AMD/ATI years ago.

Never trusted either after AMD had way too many issues with overheating chips way back.
Never trusted ATI/AMD after 4 previous cards of theirs all failed in a few years with artifacts.

Comparing that to the Nvidia/Intel reliability and I just can't trust AMD/ATi anymore.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I went off AMD/ATI years ago.

Never trusted either after AMD had way too many issues with overheating chips way back.
Never trusted ATI/AMD after 4 previous cards of theirs all failed in a few years with artifacts.

Comparing that to the Nvidia/Intel reliability and I just can't trust AMD/ATi anymore.
Yeah, I was the same. I had a bad AMD processor and a bad ATI graphics card. Fortunately they're much better now which is good 'cause they're actually bringing competition to the CPU market.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was the same. I had a bad AMD processor and a bad ATI graphics card. Fortunately they're much better now which is good 'cause they're actually bringing competition to the CPU market.
I don't even know my pc specs dont but its fine lol

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't even know my pc specs dont but its fine lol
You think the world of simulators is bad. Don't ever start with the computer upgrade path. That's a dark hole you don't want to go down.

This is my next case. After that I have to add some RGB strips and stuff

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
You think the world of simulators is bad. Don't ever start with the computer upgrade path. That's a dark hole you don't want to go down.

This is my next case. After that I have to add some RGB strips and stuff

I've got the Obsidian 750D airflow edition.