Computer/Console Talk/Gaming Super Thread

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep. There's a fair few other Easter eggs I encountered that had me laughing.

The saddest but funniest thing in the game is the marriage proposal. This guy convinced the developers to put a marriage proposal in the game for his girlfriend. They put it in but just before the game was release the woman left the guy for his brother.
Oh man that's fucked haha, poor prick. I seen one they did with the people on the boat that look like ps2 graphics as a throwback to Spider-Man 2 game.

I'm trying not to watch too much footage of Spider-Man cuz I don't want to ruin it too much before I play it.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Forza 4 demo is free to download. Playing it now. So far, so good.
Played through it. Pretty good. Except for one thing. Got up to the stunt mission and finished that, then it tells me to drive to a dirt race. As soon as I start driving there it tells me to go back and do the stunt mission again. Repeated that 5 times then quit.

Also, spent the whole first section wondering why my car couldn't keep up with the others. Then I remembered that I'm using the elite controller and I left the hair triggers on.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
MSI is a good gaming brand. Any issues connecting curved monitors together? I saw an ACER 35 inch curved monitor which took my fancy.
I have no idea lol someone will answer that here i hope

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Avoid ACER .. they are absolute shit (at least their Servers, PCs, and laptops), and monitors are rather average. MSI are pretty "meh" with their monitors as well. ASUS aren't too bad.

AOC are pretty decent, but my personal preference is Samsung (but don't go cheap on them as there are huge differences in quality). Dell stuff can be hit and miss, but support is good if you have issues.

Mate of mine used to work for Acer in Aus, he used to bag them constantly but said the fact they were so shitty kept him employed :D

Reactions: K E

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
MSI is a good gaming brand. Any issues connecting curved monitors together? I saw an ACER 35 inch curved monitor which took my fancy.
Nah, it's preferred. Curved trip monitors look better 'cause they add a realistic curve as long as you have the desk space and want to sit close to the monitors.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Avoid ACER .. they are absolute shit (at least their Servers, PCs, and laptops), and monitors are rather average. MSI are pretty "meh" with their monitors as well. ASUS aren't too bad.

AOC are pretty decent, but my personal preference is Samsung (but don't go cheap on them as there are huge differences in quality). Dell stuff can be hit and miss, but support is good if you have issues.

Mate of mine used to work for Acer in Aus, he used to bag them constantly but said the fact they were so shitty kept him employed :D
Last AOC I bought I returned 'cause it was rubbish. They're a bit hit and miss.

I use an Acer Predator and it's one of the top monitors on the market and it looks fucking amazing. But honestly if you're not buying cheap no name brand monitors then there's not much to worry about. The main thing is the panel and they all use the same panels made from 2-3 manufacturers.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Damn. That's one of them I was looking at.
The thing to keep in mind is that you're paying for G-sync. That's a large amount of the cost there. If you don't have an nvidia graphics card or don't care about G-sync then there's many other monitors around that are cheaper and just as good.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Problem with monitors is a lot of it is personal, and theres a lot of marketing "guff", most of which you'll never notice with the human eye.

Personally:
Single LARGE Curved - great as long as it covers your entire field of view.
Multiple LARGE Curved - need a very slim bezel, but could definitely be offputting due to perspective.
Single LARGE Flat - Pretty decent.
Multiple LARGE Flat - Ideal.
Multiple AVR Size Flat - Ideal.

My Racing sim (when I eventually get it finished/built) I've got a single 30" (odd) AOC Agon Curved for. Currently using that on my test bench.

My Test bench also has a 27" AOC (cheapie), with all inputs.

Main rig (which I'm on now) I run 2 x 24" Samsung S24D590L's with a super slim bezel.

Last AOC I bought I returned 'cause it was rubbish. They're a bit hit and miss.

I use an Acer Predator and it's one of the top monitors on the market and it looks fucking amazing. But honestly if you're not buying cheap no name brand monitors then there's not much to worry about. The main thing is the panel and they all use the same panels made from 2-3 manufacturers.
Acer and BenQ are offshoots (well BenQ an offshoot of one of the Acer business partners). Problem with Acers is they generally use really cheap components (often non solid caps that leak over time, or cheap transformers), and their warranty support is absolutely woeful (at least unless it's changed in recent years).

AOC their warranty is excellent (and well supported in Australia too). I've found their quality (even the cheap stuff) quite good (used their gear in our office).

Samsung's are my preferred, but they often are not cheap. I forgot, LG's aren't too bad either (ditto Philips but not as easy to find).

Re Buying: Don't buy monitors from Harvey Norman / JB Hifi as their markup is often ridiculous. Unless you intend to pricematch, in which case see below.

Online computer shops with often better pricing (and very good customer service):
Mwave - www.mwave.com.au (widest range).
ARC Computers - www.arc.com.au (often cheaper than Mwave).
IJK Enfield - www.ijk.com.au (one of the cheapest places in Sydney and have some on display).
JW Computers - www.jw.com.au (the only one of the above with actual stores where you can see stuff, but often the most expensive in this list).

Umart - aren't too bad but I haven't bought a lot from them.
MSY - I can't recommend based on too many customer service complaints.

Use one of the above if you MUST buy from JB/Harvey and pricematch. All places are in Sydney and offer pickup/orders if they are in stock. Live stock inventory as well.

NOTE: ALWAYS compare prices, as even with the above some places may be more expensive than others.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Problem with monitors is a lot of it is personal, and theres a lot of marketing "guff", most of which you'll never notice with the human eye.

Personally:
Single LARGE Curved - great as long as it covers your entire field of view.
Multiple LARGE Curved - need a very slim bezel, but could definitely be offputting due to perspective.
Single LARGE Flat - Pretty decent.
Multiple LARGE Flat - Ideal.
Multiple AVR Size Flat - Ideal.

My Racing sim (when I eventually get it finished/built) I've got a single 30" (odd) AOC Agon Curved for. Currently using that on my test bench.

My Test bench also has a 27" AOC (cheapie), with all inputs.

Main rig (which I'm on now) I run 2 x 24" Samsung S24D590L's with a super slim bezel.

Acer and BenQ are offshoots (well BenQ an offshoot of one of the Acer business partners). Problem with Acers is they generally use really cheap components (often non solid caps that leak over time, or cheap transformers), and their warranty support is absolutely woeful (at least unless it's changed in recent years).

AOC their warranty is excellent (and well supported in Australia too). I've found their quality (even the cheap stuff) quite good (used their gear in our office).

Samsung's are my preferred, but they often are not cheap. I forgot, LG's aren't too bad either (ditto Philips but not as easy to find).

Re Buying: Don't buy monitors from Harvey Norman / JB Hifi as their markup is often ridiculous. Unless you intend to pricematch, in which case see below.

Online computer shops with often better pricing (and very good customer service):
Mwave - www.mwave.com.au (widest range).
ARC Computers - www.arc.com.au (often cheaper than Mwave).
IJK Enfield - www.ijk.com.au (one of the cheapest places in Sydney and have some on display).
JW Computers - www.jw.com.au (the only one of the above with actual stores where you can see stuff, but often the most expensive in this list).

Umart - aren't too bad but I haven't bought a lot from them.
MSY - I can't recommend based on too many customer service complaints.

Use one of the above if you MUST buy from JB/Harvey and pricematch. All places are in Sydney and offer pickup/orders if they are in stock. Live stock inventory as well.

NOTE: ALWAYS compare prices, as even with the above some places may be more expensive than others.
Now days I usually buy from ebay during sales but only from the decent sellers. It's the cheapest way to buy. The downside is that you have to wait for the sales.

Acer vary in quality. I wouldn't buy their lower quality ones but as I said, the Acer Predator is rated as one of the best monitors there is including engineering. They put everything they could into it. And honestly they probably it to hope that people will also buy their lower priced/lower quality stuff. But it's a great monitor.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
That Acer Predator monitor has an RRP of $1899. Harvey Norman has it on clearance for about $1300. I paid $1089 for it thanks to ebay sales.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
As far as quality goes, it's like anything. I worked for Dell for a while and my job was to get old, refurbished hard drives, Mark the bad sectors, format them about 10 times then install them in a computer or laptop which was sold as brand new.

Everyone does that shit.

Fortunately Australian consumer laws provide decent protection against dodgy warranties as long as you don't buy it from overseas.