Climate Change

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
You may be a crazy conspiracy theorist who believes everything he hears from the Alt-right brainwashed sources, but at least you're a loveable crazy conspiracy theorist who believes everything he hears from the Alt-right brainwashed sources.
I love how anyone who doesn't support left leaning BS are automatically labeled alt-right or Fascist lol...

Climate Change is a religion for most of these guys and since Hacky McAxe is so anti-religious (Or maybe just anti-Christian) I'll tow his line...
Stop preaching that climate change BS.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I love how anyone who doesn't support left leaning BS are automatically labeled alt-right or Fascist lol...

Climate Change is a religion for most of these guys and since Hacky McAxe is so anti-religious (Or maybe just anti-Christian) I'll tow his line...
Stop preaching that climate change BS.
Saying climate change is "lefty BS" is like calling gravity "lefty BS"

It's a well established scientific fact. You can deny it all you want but that doesn't stop it from being real.

And who said I was anti-religious or anti-christian?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Fkn lol I love how he ripped him apart but I hate those nobodies that stand in the background just nodding at everything said like a fkn bobble head.
The outrage about Musk's super battery in SA and the EV cars ruining Johnie's weekend lol.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Love ppl who think electric cars are better for the environment and cheaper to run.

Except the electricity comes from coal powered power plants and the cost is on your power bill instead of at the servo.

So to save one not renewable resource (oil) we would be speeding up the depletion of another (coal)

Its all just false economy. Maybe in the future when a solar power plant can supply a city it will be better, but during the lifetime of a current electric car u will save nothing including the environment

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Love ppl who think electric cars are better for the environment and cheaper to run.

Except the electricity comes from coal powered power plants and the cost is on your power bill instead of at the servo.

So to save one not renewable resource (oil) we would be speeding up the depletion of another (coal)

Its all just false economy. Maybe in the future when a solar power plant can supply a city it will be better, but during the lifetime of a current electric car u will save nothing including the environment
Yeah, it's a bit of a bad setup right now.

There has been a number of studies into it and they generally found that for most countries, EVs are better for the environment even with a large portion of the grid being coal powered, except the research wasn't done for Australia and most experts say that Australia would be completely different due to our low renewable percentage of energy, older coal plants, and no nuclear.

All that said, the research shows that eventually EVs will be better due to new coal and gas stations being much more environmentally friendly than cars, but until the grid has been properly converted, it's not addressing the real problem.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

Largely agree, except maybe for those who have solar and can charge their car that way. I have solar and a battery and my drop in electricity bills has been very noticeable when you use it properly too (use high energy appliances like washing machines, dishwashers etc during the day. It makes me laugh when I’ve heard people say ‘solar hasn’t made much difference’ - because they bought a cheap crappy system and leave every light in the house on at night.

I’m a technologist so like the idea of various renewable tech, but there’s simply no way it’s a panacea at this point and the suggestion that we can simply cut out 100% of traditional energy sources in the next 25 years is a pipe dream for mine.

Back on cars - I reckon if Australia times it right we could adopt hydrogen or ammonia powered cars (provided they can get the stink out of the latter). Both are abundant, cheap and efficient and could well be the VHS to EV’s being Betacam.

In the meantime, some can continue to bleat about the impending doom we’re all facing.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Unless the grid is is replaced and powered by a combination of SMR (small modular reactors) and other renewables (wind/solar/hydro).

Or the individual car is powered by a home solar system.

Or if the eco friendly cars are hydrogen powdered.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Solar at home is a no brainier. My payback period will be less than 5 years. Best six grand I ever spent tbh.

When it comes time to replace my daily commuter (current a 9 year old Hyundai), the price premiums on electric vehicles will likely make that an easy choice too.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Solar at home is a no brainier. My payback period will be less than 5 years. Best six grand I ever spent tbh.

When it comes time to replace my daily commuter (current a 9 year old Hyundai), the price premiums on electric vehicles will likely make that an easy choice too.
A mate lives up your way and he has a massive solar panel setup. Says that he basically doesn't pay anything on his electricity bill.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
A mate lives up your way and he has a massive solar panel setup. Says that he basically doesn't pay anything on his electricity bill.
A mate of mine gets cash back each year but he got in early with a really good feed in tariff and govt subsidies. I've never had a bill in credit, but did get one down to about $10 one month during a shoulder season (so no heating or cooling, and just before I fired up the pool). I'm not completely anal about power use, but I do now use my dishwasher in the middle of the day.

I estimate I save over $100 pm on average with just a basic set up in the mid price range.

I don't have a battery atm due to cost, but would consider one in future, especially if I bought an electric car

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Not saying at some point electric won't be cleaner, they just have to develop the tech first. So electric cars have to exist. Just not as green right now as some ppl think. There's only 1 way to get petrol power, but many ways to create electric power. They just have to develop one that is affordable and clean.

Nuclear energy is cleaner and cheaper than coal but nobody wants nuclear power plants near them.

They have improved batteries a lot which helps. 10 years ago u would be lucky to drive to the local shops and back on 1 charge.

Thing I like with electric is how fast they are off the mark. Instant power, no gears. Some hybrid super cars like McLaren are stupidly fast. Rip your face off if your foot is heavy.

But the no engine noise is wrong. Ppl dont hear u coming, and im a fan of muscle cars so like a rumble under the bonnet.

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Where they get you now is the ‘service to property’ charge which you get slugged no matter how efficient you are with energy use. Don’t know anyone brave enough to get completely off grid yet including me :-).

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Funnily enough, John Oliver’s show this week was about the grid and some of the issues with it. I don’t mind JO - part of the balance of views I try to seek:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Investment in a battery has been worth it for me (they are expensive). Between October and March mine will generally power the house for the whole night:
A8421715-CE45-4126-B46D-9835B4E48145.jpeg

So if I’m doing my bit and saving bucks after the payback period then all well and good.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Largely agree, except maybe for those who have solar and can charge their car that way. I have solar and a battery and my drop in electricity bills has been very noticeable when you use it properly too (use high energy appliances like washing machines, dishwashers etc during the day. It makes me laugh when I’ve heard people say ‘solar hasn’t made much difference’ - because they bought a cheap crappy system and leave every light in the house on at night.

I’m a technologist so like the idea of various renewable tech, but there’s simply no way it’s a panacea at this point and the suggestion that we can simply cut out 100% of traditional energy sources in the next 25 years is a pipe dream for mine.

Back on cars - I reckon if Australia times it right we could adopt hydrogen or ammonia powered cars (provided they can get the stink out of the latter). Both are abundant, cheap and efficient and could well be the VHS to EV’s being Betacam.

In the meantime, some can continue to bleat about the impending doom we’re all facing.
Hydrogen engines are on the way, hopefully 3 to 5 years away.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Where they get you now is the ‘service to property’ charge which you get slugged no matter how efficient you are with energy use. Don’t know anyone brave enough to get completely off grid yet including me :-).
Have a mate who is completely offgrid. House has never been serviced by electricity providers. Uses solar and wind. Granted he lives 1000 feet above sea level so he would have a truck tonne more wind energy than most.

Had two lightning strikes on his wind turbine that sits about 20 metres off the ground the 1st of which blew his washing machine to pieces and continued to rip apart the first foot and half of plumbing. Has since taken measures to route and ground the lightning.

His initial setup used car 10 or 12 car batteries for storage which he has now upgraded.

Guy has a stay at home wife and 2 kids so his energy use would be moderate.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Hydrogen engines are on the way, hopefully 3 to 5 years away.
Yeah I’ve heard that to fuel them the hydrogen is in a paste format inside a cartridge you buy and slot into the car. Guess that means we might be going to ‘hydros’ rather than ‘servos’ down the track :-).