Ch.7 News Tonight

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How do all these footy players get caught with it. My mates have never been caught, it’s not like there being over cautious either.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Gutless *****. They should double the punishment for these players who roll out the mental health card to try and defend/justify their behaviour.
Mental health shouldn't be taken lightly, without a doubt, so it's a tricky one to deal with. The last thing anyone wants to do is call out someone for using that as 'excuse'.

That being said, these guys have more support than 95% of the adult population when it comes to mental health and health in general. Yes, they're in the spotlight more so there's added pressures but ..

I'd love to see these guys stand up and take ownership for their actions rather than trot out the mental health line. It's lawyer speak and not good for the player or the game.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Mental health shouldn't be taken lightly, without a doubt, so it's a tricky one to deal with. The last thing anyone wants to do is call out someone for using that as 'excuse'.

That being said, these guys have more support than 95% of the adult population when it comes to mental health and health in general. Yes, they're in the spotlight more so there's added pressures but ..

I'd love to see these guys stand up and take ownership for their actions rather than trot out the mental health line. It's lawyer speak and not good for the player or the game.
Absolutely mate, should not be taken lightly but unfortunately it’s that exact delicacy around the topic that allows brain dead athletes and public figures the opportunity to roll it out as a convenient excuse for their actions. I worry that the more and more that it’s used by these imbeciles as a cop out - it may affect how seriously mental health is taken in general long term. Tricky issue.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Absolutely mate, should not be taken lightly but unfortunately it’s that exact delicacy around the topic that allows brain dead athletes and public figures the opportunity to roll it out as a convenient excuse for their actions. I worry that the more and more that it’s used by these imbeciles as a cop out - it may affect how seriously mental health is taken in general long term. Tricky issue.
Agree with you mate. Really do.

It's a very tricky issue, and I hate how players use it as an escape route when in trouble. We've seen it enough with our players over the year when they've done something stupid.

They lawyer up, and lawyers know it's nearly impossible to call someone out if they claim mental health issues. At the end of the day, each and every one of us has mental health issues but a vast majority of us don't use that as an excuse when we do something wrong.

Will this change? Who knows? But, it's not good that player repeatedly use it as a get our of jail free card because they're supposed to be roel models.

Maybe, when a player claims they have to do X amount of hours community service connected to mental health issues? Supporting people who are affected by it so they can see what it's really like?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Haha it’s Tuesday night!!
Yeah man. I'm sorry. I know we usually do it Monday night, but me and Assassin took a little detour in the limo last night. Ended up at Dollhouse in Kingcross again ...

So, we'll pick you up in 10?

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah man. I'm sorry. I know we usually do it Monday night, but me and Assassin took a little detour in the limo last night. Ended up at Dollhouse in Kingcross again ...

So, we'll pick you up in 10?
Righto, quick spruce moose and I’ll be right to go.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
people should just admit they use coke because it feels good
Yep and you have mental health issues afterwards because what goes up must come down.

As a young bloke I would have a few benders every year. One good night costs you one bad week to recover.

But I never blamed my down week on mental health. I honestly think all of these sportsmen blaming mental health issues when they get caught fucking up is having a detrimental effect on those people who have legit mental health problems.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NRL player has charges dismissed after pleading guilty to cocaine possession

He took attention away from the grand final build-up after being busted for cocaine, but former Canterbury forward Ofahiki Ogden has had his drug possession charges dismissed and must instead comply with the terms of a court order.

Ofahiki pleaded guilty to possessing a prohibited drug and not complying with a noticed direction at Waverley Court House on Tuesday. Police officers pulled over Ogden’s Mazda 3 on the eve of the Panthers-Rabbitohs decider on October 3, finding two satchels of white powder.

The charges were dismissed after Ogden was discharged into the care of a responsible person. Under the terms of the court order, the 25-year-old must continue ongoing treatment for mental health including, take medication as required, attend treatment and therapy for drug and alcohol issues and abstain from the use of illicit and prohibited drugs.
The Ogden incident occurred just days after Warriors rookie Reece Walsh was caught in possession of cocaine when he was arrested by Queensland police in Surfers Paradise.

Storm players Cameron Munster, Brandon Smith and Chris Lewis were also sanctioned after they were filmed partying in a hotel after their preliminary final loss, with what appeared to be white powder on a table.
Ogden’s Canterbury contract, during which he made 45 NRL appearances for the Bulldogs, lapsed on October 31 and the club chose not to offer him a new one.

Given he has escaped a conviction, the NRL may consider registering a new contract should a club attempt to sign him.
Ofahiki told the Herald two years ago that he was keen to transition into the police force when his NRL career was over. He said he had already begun a policing course before shifting from his native New Zealand.
“It’s something I’m still looking into after footy,” Ogden said in 2019. “I like helping the community, giving back.”

Given the number of incidents in quick succession, the NRL has flagged its intention to put hair follicle testing for illicit drugs back on the agenda.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...king-the-tin-in-pandemic-20211106-p596kn.html

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
people should just admit they use coke because it feels good
Heard it does help for depression, someones buying it, not sure every stoner should be crucified.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s an insult to those with genuine mental health illness’s when people who’ve had a bad day or make a bad choice start whinging about their mental health. Then again it’s pretty standard when you’re after a better outcome in court.

Malla

Reaction score
No big story.
Just Ogden in court after being caught with coke.
Says it’s anxiety/depression, partly due to not having his contract renewed. Same old excuse.
No conviction recorded but counselling required.
Time to move on, including the club.
Lol so is he trying to blame dogs for not renewing his contract as the reason why he bought bags? Almost as bad as ray hadleys kid lol