News Canterbury chairman insists Bulldogs won’t take shortcuts back to the top

eman & the Utai SLAM

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I love a good secret pact
The best pact in nrl history was luke ricketson. After being bashed by the warriors he grabbed all his players and said they wont be intimidated and will fight back. Carried on about it all week in the media too.
Then come game time he clotheslined someone who was all over their player and got suspended for the grand final as a result hahahaha sucked in u fuckin wank stain.
Great story, bit random but anything downing the rooters i like

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sports psychologists? Did he watch St George play last weekend? Run hard tackle hard, get in their faces in defence. If the players performance doing these basic things doesn't improve, the sponsors will leave and sponsor a team that DOES care. I don't want to hear the Chairmans comments. I want to see onfield action by the players. If they lift their intensity in everything they do but can only last 20 minutes at a higher intensity then they aren't fit enough. The players need to show the fans where they are at.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our focus should be Duffty and maybe Brandon Smith. These guys added to Flanagan and Burton give us a solid base to build a team around. I also saw Fitzgibbon at Knights is off contract this year as well. He could be targeted.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just wonder why we have all this money and we're in rebuild but the Sharks (who have made the semis the last 2 years) are capable of hatching a plan much better than ours by making a very strong play for Bellamy and now they're favourites to sign Adam Reynolds plus they have a new coach (while we have Barrett and Flanagan). Why didn't we ever make a serious play at Bellamy ?

I'm frankly sick of reading report after report telling us fans to wait longer and longer for success.

Yes we don't want to spend another 1.2M a season on a broken Foran type player (even though he was our best player when actually on the field) but FFS we need a plan like buying 2 of the best spine players in the comp (just like the Roosters did a few years ago in Tedesco and Keary)

Buy Grant and Papa for up to a MIL each a season and I'm happy if we fill the rest of the team with local juniors (plus a few imports like Burton) but we need at least a couple of ELITE players to build a team around. These 2 are young and fit and virtually guaranteed to be great players for at least 3 years. Sign them for 3 year contracts only.

A team with a spine of Papa, Burton and Grant would be half way to winning a comp as long as the rest of the 17 were just solid.

We need our own big 3. A big 1, 2 or none won't cut it.
This seems so obvious. Echoed my thoughts exactly. Great post.
And yes, people we tipping the Dragons for the spoon and saying we recruited really well. They lost Frizell, McGuiness etc and
Someone raised about the forwards but at the start of the year people said our pack was better. I feel and think something is not right.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Baz seems to have a lot of security, which is good for the stability of the club
Furner maybe not so?
We just saw a ruthless culling at the Sharks and that was for a coach not performing too badly.
Would be easy to make a quiet change there if our defence doesn’t improve quickly.
Dave better get his act together...

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Team like west tigers still haven’t made the grand final since 05 and we are following their successful model :p
On the FCTTB pod this week they spoke of the Tigers ‘about to embark on a 12 year rebuild’ :tearsofjoy:.
Fans of the Tigers and Eels have been through worse. We’re heading in the right direction, your sponsor book is not full if not so. There is belief, we simply need some extra pieces to complete the puzzle.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Furner maybe not so?
We just saw a ruthless culling at the Sharks and that was for a coach not performing too badly.
Would be easy to make a quiet change there if our defence doesn’t improve quickly.
Dave better get his act together...
You would hope so. Even if Furner is just a scapegoat as Baz had similar defensive issues at Manly, there has to be someone held accountable as we're so far behind defensively letting in soft tries on our line and the six agains we give away constantly are pathetic.

I still think Baz selecting guys like Napa to start compounds the problem but Furner as a defensive assistant definitely has a lot to answer for and we need to make some changes unless things improve.

Last edited:

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get what they are trying to do, recruit guys to play together for a while.. but premiership teams always have some experience especially in the forward pack... think we need some more experience in our pack. Think about this year having James Tamuo and Andrew McCullough........ different team

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok this is me just thinking out loud.... so the dragons are 1-4 and are travelling well. Does anyone question why they are going so well and we are putrid? Like our rosters are not so diff with a lot of inexperience... yes our halves ain’t as experienced and they have a couple of decent front rowers but my question is how can they compete and even beat a parra side so convincingly? Anyone question how things are being done at our club? Again just wondering how we are travelling so bad and yet dragons who where favourites to win the spoon are looking so good
Mate they have a bit more class in their play makers and more mongrel in the forwards. They also have much more experience than us. Our roster is putrid and we deserve to be where we are let's not kid ourselves.

I am going to ride the wave before I get too critical. Sure it's painful but I have hope in what I am hearing. We have turned the corner in the back office. That is a win right there compared to where we were this time last year. Standing united was the first step towards success.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Great story, bit random but anything downing the rooters i like
Haha bit random for sure but i love knowing ricko missed out on that game. Who knows if he could have made a difference and beaten us in the 04 gf
He later desribed it as the low point of his career lol
2 or so days later i saw him on a pub balcony in surry hills and i was taunting him hard. He got agreesive and i said hey man dont clothesline me u might miss another grand final
His rage level went up off the charts haha

Malla

Reaction score
To be honest I think this first 5 weeks really puts into perspective how bad a position we are in as a team and club. Variety of reasons going back to Des/Castle back ended deals, bad recruitment decisions etc - won't go into that.

None of this is Trents fault. Anyone who tries to blame him is stupid and should stop watching footy lol its one thing to try and clean this mess up, its another to try and win footy games and remain competitive in the NRL. We will get there.

Bulldogs fan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
To be honest I think this first 5 weeks really puts into perspective how bad a position we are in as a team and club. Variety of reasons going back to Des/Castle back ended deals, bad recruitment decisions etc - won't go into that.

None of this is Trents fault. Anyone who tries to blame him is stupid and should stop watching footy lol its one thing to try and clean this mess up, its another to try and win footy games and remain competitive in the NRL. We will get there.
Ye there is always light at the end of the tunnel but right now we are a quarter into the gotthard base tunnel

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sports psychologist needs a psychologist after this job!

Malla

Reaction score
Ye there is always light at the end of the tunnel but right now we are a quarter into the gotthard base tunnel
Do you think it will get worse before it gets better? Like much much worse? I reckon we are pretty close to rock bottom at the moment.

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I like that we actually hear from the club these days, this seems like a response about the 5 year plan haha even if it just coincidence. One thing I wish we could have worked out when we took on Baz, is if we could have somehow kept Dean Pay as our defence coach. He seemed good at that. Would have been a hard sell as it would be a demotion coming down from head coach.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Baz is not immune to criticism.