News Canterbury chairman insists Bulldogs won’t take shortcuts back to the top

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hope everyone's well!

I don't post much but I'm a proud member and have been a proud fan for 31 years, have seen and been through plenty of ups and downs. Personally, I love the 'NO SHORTCUTS' approach. I don't just expect and want a premiership in the next 5 years and then crumble. Much like the 80's, I expect and want our club to be consistently in the top 4 competing year in, year out; for decades to come!

For the first time in a long time, I'm genuinely excited about our future!

The business side of things seems to be back on track with all sponsor spots sold (including a waiting list).

Team/on-field wise:

- We have a coach that is loved by players throughout the NRL (recruitment and retention bonus), doesn't talk gibberish/in circles nor makes excuses.

- Roughly a dozen 'dead-wood' players GONE by year's end.

-We're finally focusing on bringing back our past feared Bulldogs DNA by putting an emphasis on developing future first graders/stars from our own backyard.

In saying that, can anyone name the 5-7 SG Ball players mentioned below??

Off the top of my head, I can think of: Paul Alamoti, Turoa Williams, Danny Ghantous, Khaled Rajab, maybe Joseph O'Neil...Anyone else??

All the best, have an amazing day!

Moustie
The only two that I would say look as though they could step up are ghantous and alamoti. Rajab has a very good passing game n vision, but not a lot of speed n urgency. Always difficult to judge as the age difference across the squad is three years. A 19 yo can dominate but a 17 year old might have far greater potential.

Stargate44

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
New CEO..
New Board...
New Coach....
New Coaching Staff..
New Players....
34 Points scored in 5 GAMES....
174 Points SCORED AGAINST....
No Finals since 2016....
No GF Win since 2004....

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Remember the days we used to stay up to watch the gunners play bro? And chat on the kennel as the game played out and they frustrated the f out of us. Gamebreaker was another and can't remember the others.
The good old days..... I miss them.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Baz has had 1 off season and 5 games.
Pay had 3 years.
Pay never had our team fit, ever. Even Tolman looks fitter and quicker to play the ball now in a new Club.
Trent said he would have our team fit and although they arent as fit as Storm/Roosters etc, I think he did a pretty good job in the short time frame he had. Napa's a write off and Jackson + Hopa's on the decline especially with the pace of the game now.
Storm/Roosters have been fit for years, is part of their system/culture. Our culture was who gives a fuck and I say that not because I know what happens at the Club, but because Ive watched the games the last 3 years.
Also now the rules have changed.
I cant remeber 1 gun player recruited by Pay. It is fact he didnt have funds to buy star quality.
Which players improved under Pay?
I believe it would have been a massive risk /gamble having Pay identify what talent he needed to buy in to build a team especially now with the rule changes.
You asked why move Pay on. I just dont believe he had a modern day footy brain.
This isnt to bag Pay.
All Im saying is our fortunes wont turn around in a short period of time from where we've come from.
Nasheed here,
Not sure we have met before, but I’m Nasheed (as I said).
For me, Pay had two faults.
Signing duds like Lichaa to 2 year deals and Crichton to 3. Both could have been 1 year deals. They weren’t wanted. Crichton could easily be 2, not 3. Low standard cut winger, and unwanted hooker who couldn’t score a deal. If signed at all.

Second was the fitness thang.
I have some sympathy for him. The NRL changed the rules under his feet.
but at the same time he should have identified that quickly and flog the players the way i flogged myself when the fappening stuff was released a few years back.

if you take that aside, he did remarkably well on a cap that was half of other teams on back ended deals. Amazingly.

Iam not sure, and never will be sure if he deserved a deal extension or not. At the end of the day, if the team slides backward, and u don’t have street cred, how can you expect a renewal?
He may have been a good coach with his own team, I’ll never know.
I hope he gets another gig before he returns to us as a defensive coach (as per the oil).

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI Khoury, waddell, hethrington, Allan and Flanagan are all turning out to be short cuts... You idiot
‘the article was just to give himself and his board a chance to be re-elected . After all theywere able to do a coup on Anderson’s based on results