News Buzz weekend highs and lows: Financial threat to Phil Gould’s Canterbury Bulldogs rebuild | Daily Telegraph

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
There has been a negative media bias towards Bulldog since Superleague and Rabbit reinstatement, that's blatantly obvious to most of our fan's and even a few perceptible rival fan's.
Except to a few dullards on here who would insist we deserved the ire at every given step no matter how disproportionate the disparagement compared to EVERY other club.
Weedler, hooper, ritchie and buzz have always been at the ready to lay the boot in and undermine the club. The ladder position and trajectory at any given time have only served to adjust the angle at which they smite us from.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frothfield has forgotten, not surprisingly, that there is a state election on the 25th March and the opposition haven’t made a decision on the cashless gaming cards as they need to look into all aspects of it.

I did a RSA course 4 or 5 years back and the guy who ran it has been in the industry his whole life and he was fair age.

He said Pubs should have cashless gaming cards BUT clubs should NOT as Pubs profit a lot more from pokies than clubs do as clubs put a lot of money back into community events, entertainment and sport.

So Frothfield is a bit presumptuous saying the cashless gaming cards will be introduced soon. Wrong! Clubs will fight it.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why doesn't Rothfield tell us where the Panthers and Roosters get their money from - fans at the ground? Sale of merchandise? None of that could pay the overs required to keep hold of their stars. There has to be third party funding.

I find it hard to believe that the Panthers and Roosters clubs are not providing finance through a third party. I also doubt that the cashless gaming card will happen, and if it did, will not have the effect that many think on pokie income, as most people are not problem gamblers. The limit proposed by Perrottet of $1500 per day, works out to around half a million per person, per annum. The average poker machine player puts nothing like that through a machine in one year.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
There has been a negative media bias towards Bulldog since Superleague and Rabbit reinstatement, that's blatantly obvious to most of our fan's and even a few perceptible rival fan's.
Except to a few dullards on here who would insist we deserved the ire at every given step no matter how disproportionate the disparagement compared to EVERY other club.
Weedler, hooper, ritchie and buzz have always been at the ready to lay the boot in and undermine the club. The ladder position and trajectory at any given time have only served to adjust the angle at which they smite us from.
It started with the Coffs Harbour incident, where the media was found to have overstepped the mark, and made accusations that could not be backed up by the facts. They hate anyone who makes them look unprofessional, and will go after them with a vengeance.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How did I know 1.this fuckin article would get posted and 2.a bunch of kennellers would still bite at this guys bullshit LOL

How it wasn't DJdeep posting it is the only baffling thing... Bahaha.
The duplicate article on foxsports is still a chance

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why doesn't Rothfield tell us where the Panthers and Roosters get their money from - fans at the ground? Sale of merchandise? None of that could pay the overs required to keep hold of their stars. There has to be third party funding.
One could pr
Success breads sponsorship. A cashless gaming card WOULD seriously cripples the Leagues Clubs revenues and Canterbury Bankstown is one of the 2 highest gaming LGA in NSW. I'd suggest we need to look seriously at trimming staff, in both Clubs and perhaps Mr Laundy could stump up more for being the primary sponsor. Success will bring that.
It's extreme jealousy tho to mention Goulds salary. We all know he wouldn't even taken the gig for less than $1m a season, so doesn't need to be mentioned. Eventually, we won't need Gus, maybe in 4 years, so no big issue.
The Laundy sponsorship has an option for 10 years. They will basically own the Bulldogs by then. They could buy the club tomorrow if they wanted.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
When we start winning, the profits will flow…simple.

and…lol at our club financially struggling at any point, we are strong in that department and massively asset rich… one of the wealthiest clubs in any code in Australia.

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Buzz is very frustrating. Negative Nellie who does not seem to want the NRL to flourish. At least that is how he sounds. Current financial status is a short term strategy. As others have already said, once success comes, so will revenue increase from sponsors and the NRL et al. The best talent will siphon in to our playing ranks maintaining future momentum. What’s not to like. Short term pain, long term gain.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Who are the ‘journalism authorities’? :-).
What would the NRL do about it? Hint: NOTHING.
You take the bait every time.
Unless they say something that is clearly defamatory or illegal they can write what they want. All ‘news’ these days is designed to get clicks and revenue and when it causes ‘outrage’ they have achieved their objective. By far the best approach is to ignore it, laugh it off and definitely take it with a grain of salt.

‘Protests’ as you’re framing it are a waste of time. Move on mate: the best outcome is for us to WIN.
Fairdinkum DinkumDog, did you really expect the hot-headed Bulldogs fans on TK to be cool calm and collected or just simply ignore the lowlife Rothfield :laughing:
I know nothing can or will be done about it, I know the NRL doesn't care, or any of these kind of groups MEAA, AJCE, APC would be interested unless and like you said there is a proof of defamation or illegal reporting, but I believe no matter how minimal it might be we as supporters should voice our disapproval.
Whether you like to admit it or not this barrage of systematic and scrutinized attacks by News Ltd on our club and its supporters has been relentless for over two decades,
Believe me as a die-hard supporter I've tried to deal with the problem the civilized way,
This story goes back roughly 15 years just after another onslaught by News Ltd,
I called their complaints department asking to speak to Rothfield, he wasn't there but returned my call the next day, I politely expressed my concerns about the way they've treated our club and fans, by the end of the conversation he said "I wish all Canterbury fans speak to me as politely as you did". I said it's a two way street Buzz, show them some respect I am sure they will do the same in return.
Sadly the leopard never changes its spots !!!
ps. Put your mind at ease mate, I never give them the benefits by clicking on any of their websites or social media :laughing:

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Buzz is very frustrating. Negative Nellie who does not seem to want the NRL to flourish. At least that is how he sounds. Current financial status is a short term strategy. As others have already said, once success comes, so will revenue increase from sponsors and the NRL et al. The best talent will siphon in to our playing ranks maintaining future momentum. What’s not to like. Short term pain, long term gain.
More a case of doesn’t want the Dogs to flourish - it’s a ridiculous agenda he’s had for a while and so blatantly obvious - magnified 2 fold when Gus arrived given their checkered history

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Sure is a flog and a mindless agitator and stirrer....anything to throw shade on the Club and especially Gus. We all know his MO and no point in really worrying at all..but...it is annoying and we just vent and laugh at the dill. As long as he gets no clicks ....Twitter tho gives rugby league fans a chance to tell him what we think of him and DT.

The replies are gold most often. He must have a hide as thick as his brain.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Fairdinkum DinkumDog, did you really expect the hot-headed Bulldogs fans on TK to be cool calm and collected or just simply ignore the lowlife Rothfield :laughing:
I know nothing can or will be done about it, I know the NRL doesn't care, or any of these kind of groups MEAA, AJCE, APC would be interested unless and like you said there is a proof of defamation or illegal reporting, but I believe no matter how minimal it might be we as supporters should voice our disapproval.
Whether you like to admit it or not this barrage of systematic and scrutinized attacks by News Ltd on our club and its supporters has been relentless for over two decades,
Believe me as a die-hard supporter I've tried to deal with the problem the civilized way,
This story goes back roughly 15 years just after another onslaught by News Ltd,
I called their complaints department asking to speak to Rothfield, he wasn't there but returned my call the next day, I politely expressed my concerns about the way they've treated our club and fans, by the end of the conversation he said "I wish all Canterbury fans speak to me as politely as you did". I said it's a two way street Buzz, show them some respect I am sure they will do the same in return.
Sadly the leopard never changes its spots !!!
ps. Put your mind at ease mate, I never give them the benefits by clicking on any of their websites or social media :laughing:
Thanks, but I don’t need my mind put at ease.
Yes, I’d expect any reasonable no matter how passionate Bulldog fan to take it in their stride for what it is - nonsense. What’s the point of getting upset over it? And you called the ‘complaints department’ :tearsofjoy:.
All you would’ve done is given them the ammo to write more. Who cares what they’ve done or for how long. The best response is to take the high road, to focus on building a winning team and then they turn their attention somewhere else. And if they don’t and change their angle of attack - well who cares, winners are grinners which we are much closer to being again.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thanks, but I don’t need my mind put at ease.
Yes, I’d expect any reasonable no matter how passionate Bulldog fan to take it in their stride for what it is - nonsense. What’s the point of getting upset over it? And you called the ‘complaints department’ :tearsofjoy:.
All you would’ve done is given them the ammo to write more. Who cares what they’ve done or for how long. The best response is to take the high road, to focus on building a winning team and then they turn their attention somewhere else. And if they don’t and change their angle of attack - well who cares, winners are grinners which we are much closer to being again.
The pen is mightier than the sword !
Wasn't it 'nonsonse' when they started their vendetta against our club when they were half owners of the NRL and we were one of the top clubs in the game then, what has become of us since ?
We all know "complaint departments" are there for just that...COMPLAINTS.
Thank goodness for the people in charge, we are about to get back to where we belong...again they are trying to sabotage our recovery by any means :rage:
What gives them the right to do so ?
You are right, winning will galvanize us to be stronger, we have to thank Bullforg and Co for that !
Otherwise we wouldn't have a club / team to talk about anymore !!!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The pen is mightier than the sword !
Wasn't it 'nonsonse' when they started their vendetta against our club when they were half owners of the NRL and we were one of the top clubs in the game then, what has become of us since ?
We all know "complaint departments" are there for just that...COMPLAINTS.
Thank goodness for the people in charge, we are about to get back to where we belong...again they are trying to sabotage our recovery by any means :rage:
What gives them the right to do so ?
You are right, winning will galvanize us to be stronger, we have to thank Bullforg and Co for that !
Otherwise we wouldn't have a club / team to talk about anymore !!!
How are they trying to sabotage - by writing nonsense articles? If that’s the pen (or keyboard) being mightier I don’t see much to fear and I think you’re seeing things that just aren’t there. We were doing fine until about 2015 so I don’t really understand the argument about co-ownership and what became of us - and doubly so when our wounds were all self inflicted.