News Burton's Future Clouded As Barrett Exit Nears

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now all we have to do is get him an NRL standard halfback
There is no HB available next year that will make a big difference. DCE, Cleary, Keary are all locked up.
It's way overdue to build the team around Burton as the chief playmaker whether he wears the 6 or 7 is irrelevant.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best solution for our long term respectability (thats all that we can work to at present by the looks) bc winning games seems out of realistic expectations...is to pay to send Kyle to SL and away from Flanno Snr so he can take on this challenge with Gus and Potter unemcumbered by having his son around the club.

The way our recruitment has worked out for the past 6 years has been diabolical.
That's right. It's a fundamental conflict or interest to have both Flannos as the club especially when Flanno Snr is also managing agent of Jnr. It would not be allowed at a public listed company or a govt dept to have a family member reporting to another family member.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
There is no HB available next year that will make a big difference. DCE, Cleary, Keary are all locked up.
It's way overdue to build the team around Burton as the chief playmaker whether he wears the 6 or 7 is irrelevant.
So Kyle is the best we can hope for? And Burton is a running half and we need someone to steer the side around,If you think there is no difference I am sure the cows,broncs and rabbits would disagree.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Burton's head seems clouded, He has no idea about being a half

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1 try and set up two other tries. 1 line break, 3 tackle busts, 1 offload, 23 tackles, 1 missed. 502 kicking metres..

He has to play 5/8th and halfback on a historically bad team and our own fans don't even appreciate him.
The guy is a weapon. Any of our fans that don’t appreciate him are just downright dumb

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Burton's head seems clouded, He has no idea about being a half
Have you not watched the last 3 games? He's been our best player and has scored 2 tries and set up a few others.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Kyle is the best we can hope for? And Burton is a running half and we need someone to steer the side around,If you think there is no difference I am sure the cows,broncs and rabbits would disagree.
Flanno is a crap HB who we never should have signed - I said this back in 2020. That's why the Dogs need Burton to be the chief playmaker as the "7" options of Flanno/Wake/Avo are all shite.
>"Burton is a running half and we need someone to steer the side around"
What is this obsession that a running half can't steer a side around? Turvey was a "running half", Johns, Thurston had good running games. A HB who can't run is dead weight. A good HB has a good running game that threatens and puts pressure on the defence which creates opportunities for teammates, throws the money ball to put players through etc. Flanno does none of that.
>"cows,broncs and rabbits would disagree."
Townsend will NOT lead the cows to a GF. Kyle is a poor man's Townsend, throwing the same useless passes out the back and inside passes to flat footed forwards going nowhere.
Rabbits are 5-5 for the year and Cody and their young HB are not doing that great.
Broncs are doing better than expected. Reynolds is obviously a lot better than Flanno but he's always played in a strong roster at Souths with a great spine and the Broncos have some good young guns and they carry far less dead weight than our team.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Flanno is a crap HB who we never should have signed - I said this back in 2020. That's why the Dogs need Burton to be the chief playmaker as the "7" options of Flanno/Wake/Avo are all shite.
>"Burton is a running half and we need someone to steer the side around"
What is this obsession that a running half can't steer a side around? Turvey was a "running half", Johns, Thurston had good running games. A HB who can't run is dead weight. A good HB has a good running game that threatens and puts pressure on the defence which creates opportunities for teammates, throws the money ball to put players through etc. Flanno does none of that.
>"cows,broncs and rabbits would disagree."
Townsend will NOT lead the cows to a GF. Kyle is a poor man's Townsend, throwing the same useless passes out the back and inside passes to flat footed forwards going nowhere.
Rabbits are 5-5 for the year and Cody and their young HB are not doing that great.
Broncs are doing better than expected. Reynolds is obviously a lot better than Flanno but he's always played in a strong roster at Souths with a great spine and the Broncos have some good young guns and they carry far less dead weight than our team.
That’s a very detailed reply……. And it’s still rubbish.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It's rubbish to you because it's beyond your understanding. You probably think Hodko was a great HB because he "steered the side around the park"
While you where writing that shit out Chad Townsend was leading the cows to a 36-6 flogging of Melbourne……your a muppet.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
While you where writing that shit out Chad Townsend was leading the cows to a 36-6 flogging of Melbourne……your a muppet.
So one game makes a career? Melbourne missing 2 spine players in Paps and Hughes.
>"your a muppet."
No, you are. Go back to school and learn proper spelling and grammar. Only a moron like you would think Townsend is an elite HB.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So one game makes a career? Melbourne missing 2 spine players in Paps and Hughes.
>"your a muppet."
No, you are. Go back to school and learn proper spelling and grammar. Only a moron like you would think Townsend is an elite HB.
Ok mum :smiley:

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check my old posts and my old predictions. I said Flanno was crap back in 2020 before he even played a game for us and "experts" on TK said I was wrong.
I said Avo/Wake were crap HB last year as well and would not improve. "Experts" on TK back then said I was wrong and they should be given more time.
I've also several times over the years on TK that Townsend was a crap HB. The only way Townsend will improve is if he rebuilds his game to become a completely different HB to what he was at the Sharks. Why do you think Flanno plays like a crap HB? He was learning off Townsend back then.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
BURTON’S FUTURE CLOUDED AS BARRETT EXIT NEARS

Matt Burton’s future at the Bulldogs looks increasingly uncertain amid reports the Bulldogs will sack coach Trent Barrett within days.

Burton has a player option in his favour for the final year of his deal in 2024 and is free to negotiate with rivals as of November 1 and he has stated that he intends to test the market.

However, The Daily Telegraph’s Dave Riccio believes Barrett’s potential sacking could be disastrous in their bid to re-sign Burton, who is on a reported $500k, long-term.

“It’s huge, it’s absolutely huge,” Riccio said in regards to Burton’s future on SEN radio.

“Let’s think about Matt Burton for a moment, this morning he’s driving to training.

“He’s signed at this footy club to play under Trent Barrett, he is the one who dragged him over after working with him at Penrith, now he’s driving to training not knowing who the coach is going to be.

“He’s playing in a footy team that can’t strike a blow and he’s off-contract basically from November 1, he can take himself to open market, he can go to the highest bidder.”

Riccio expects Burton to depart the Bulldogs should Barrett be axed due to their close relationship from their time at the Panthers as assistant and player.

“I think it’s dangerous ground we’re on with Canterbury and Matt Burton, I think we’re going down a path where Burton leaves the club on the back of this decision,” Riccio said.

“That’s why this decision is so huge, because it doesn’t just impact the club, it impacts their highest-profile player and their most talented player.”

SEN host Andrew Voss believes the Bulldogs’ 2023 campaign will be a “write off” should Burton signal his intent to leave the club in 2024 and sign elsewhere.

“If he signs with another club for 2024 in November or December of this year, write off the Bulldogs next year,” Voss said.

“That’d be a low blow for the Bulldogs and their fans.”

The 22-year-old has scored 21 tries in 42 games for the Panthers and Bulldogs since his debut in 2019 and was one of the Dally M Centres of the Year in 2021.

This bullshit article says "stated that he intends to test the market", show us the quote. You can't because there isn't.

Buzz stated he prefers the company of men. He also stated he will blow you for a half drunk can of VB. See how it works?

All you people lost your shit and turned on him over a bullshit article, 1 of the 4 of 5 that actually play with heart and want to win....