Official Burton

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
That’s because he’s an X factor 5/8th not a controlling 7 , he’s not a game manager, he is very good at playing what’s in front of him but he needs half to take control of the side. Too many people in TK don’t know the fucking difference, he’s been getting shit canned on here because he’s not a fucking miracle worker week in week out. He will go to the next level when we get a halfback.
Maybe he will, but his neutral kicking game can still be better without that 7. Given our future 7 will be Oloapu, Burton is going to have to get used to controlling the side though imo

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll give you that one. Kikau needs a polished half inside him and Burton isn't that, he just doesn't have the playmaking ability and doesn't know when or how to use him. Right now Kikau would be better off on the right just getting early ball from Flanagan and either ball playing himself or looking to offload to Averillo. Burtons focus in attack purely needs to be on running the ball and using his footwork an size to create opportunities. I keep saying it but I still think Burton is a fullback...
A lot of this makes sense….I also could see Burto as a FB. Without primary playmaking responsibilities I think he could concentrate on running with the ball and chiming in at times that suit..

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that last 20min or so with Reynolds on the field doesn't show how good Burton can be if he had a Halfback beside him that actually did something, then nothing will.
It may be an unpopular take, but I think the clock winding down had more effect on forcing Burto to get involved than Grub being on the field. Around that time we went to big sweeping plays with the ball in attack with all the passing happening so far away from the line of gain that the defenders could make easy decisions and slide/commit where necessary.
Super happy to get the win as we probably find a way to lose it in prior years, but no need for a circle jerk….lots of Wrk to get done yet..

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if we got belted by Souths next week with a short turnaround, no forwards and the tough game we just played. Plus they're desperate for a win and the refs will give them every call like every other Good Friday game..
it’s a guarantee they win

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe he will, but his neutral kicking game can still be better without that 7. Given our future 7 will be Oloapu, Burton is going to have to get used to controlling the side though imo
From what I have seen from KO he could easily adapt to playing in the 7 roll and be a headliner.It will take some time but he’s got what it takes and CC has proven he can get the best out of even average players, Burton needs to become more of a leader no doubt but long term he will be more effective playing his natural game not controlling the team IMO.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
From what I have seen from KO he could easily adapt to playing in the 7 roll and be a headliner.It will take some time but he’s got what it takes and CC has proven he can get the best out of even average players, Burton needs to become more of a leader no doubt but long term he will be more effective playing his natural game not controlling the team IMO.
Karl looks like an out and out 5/8 too me, don't think it's a easy or quick transition to halfback personally.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I hope so too, my favourite skill I've seen from Oloapu is his tempo and pass selection close to the line. Draws defenders and generally always picks the right option.

My hope is that when he comes into first grade that this creates a lot more points. But in doing so relieves scoreboard pressure which should bring Burton out of his shell more.

I'm still yet to work out Ciraldo though, kept Burton planted on the left edge after letting him roam the other week.

under_Dogz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Anyone who refers to him as a centre from now on should be banned. He carried us to victory. That's why he's so hyped. He's a special talent. He showed massive balls putting that kick in for Fox and with the blindside run and kick before that but you want players like him to back their instincts.. And that Field Goal was tough..

Hopefully that's the win that sparks our season and gets Burton on a good run of form that we badly need to win games..
I’ve been on the B-Train from go to whoa!

under_Dogz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Burto played well tonight. Set up our first try with a lovely grubber in goal for Preston. Took the line on and crossed the line only to be held up. Blind side chip and chase which nearly led to a try and kicked the winning field goal. Not sure why a lot of folks are bagging him tonight.
Yeah but he’s a dud 5/8 so I keep hearing.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Karl looks like an out and out 5/8 too me, don't think it's a easy or quick transition to halfback personally.
But even at 5/8th he controls set tempo and end of sets, he always engages the defence and creates space on the edges, it won’t be as big a jump as you expect, but we’ll see I guess.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if we got belted by Souths next week with a short turnaround, no forwards and the tough game we just played. Plus they're desperate for a win and the refs will give them every call like every other Good Friday game..
Best we can do is avoid a belting and keep the winning margin narrow. Get ready for the latrell suck up for 80 minutes.

under_Dogz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He missed the clutch conversion in regular time only to kick the clutch field goal in golden point from almost the exact same spot. He could have saved us all from a cardiac arrest if he got that penalty goal lol. Fuck I thought that was going in.
He’s not a very good goal kicker in general therefore hard to be critical on the missed conversions.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Gotta say was at the game, when morrin came on jeez he changed the energy in the team. But when grub came on with fatigued players, it helped lift burtons energy to do what he does best, play what’s in front of him. We deadset need pele playing bigger minutes it’s scary what the bloke can do.. also flanno is deadset finished, his not even a threat to any team let alone reserve grade teams …

Okunbor gotta give credit, bloke is accepting where he is told to play and giving everything his got.

Next week is the biggest game and as much as I want us to win, we cannot play like tonight as south’s will outclass us.

Lastly referee was dog shit and can’t believe how many calls went against us, so enjoy the win boys, finally doing better than last year so it’s a start in the right direction.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
But even at 5/8th he controls set tempo and end of sets, he always engages the defence and creates space on the edges, it won’t be as big a jump as you expect, but we’ll see I guess.
The move just feels very forced and a step away from his natural game. Personally I feel he looks more like a 5/8 than Burton and we're sort of just relying on him to develop as halfback because he looks far more skilled as a playmaker. I guess that's how halfbacks are made in today's game though..