Opinion Burton

Wearnze

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like se have said quality halves just make other spine players look better than they are. Barrwtt and Burton must stop blaming the other spine players and just make it work.

Look at Reynolds last night. Or Thurston for the Cowboys. They had pretty average spine players for the most part. But they made their teams win games. Burton has bit had 1 game where he has stepped up and won is a game yet.

If Burton is just doing what Barrett wants him to do and that's why he is playing crap than Barrett must go.

BulldogsNation

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Burto and Flanno cannot dig to the line because the defence is already on them when they get the ball because the service from JMK is appalling.

Our hooker is our biggest issue. i am not judging burton or flanno until we have an actual hooker at hooker.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I understand criticising Burton's form but I don't understand so many people thinking he's a centre and not a half.

In 9 games in the halves at Penrith he had 7 tries, 5 try assists, 8 line breaks, 24 tackle busts and averaged about 400 kicking metres. He was also dominant in Reserves as a half.

He is a half, not a centre. He just needs to improve. Simple as that. Moving our key players from one position to another is what got us into this mess. Let's not fuck up our most talented player.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A contract upgrade now seems highly unlikely if he is after more money.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Interestingly, the Broncos were telling everyone that Staggs would be their 6 this season. Pre season ballwork showed Kevyn he's not capable, and has stayed in the centres all year thus far.
Burton isn't yet a half. Even being coached by Baz who was a very good heads up running half himself, he's been unable to bring Burton along. Maybe Burton will develop into a half after a couple more seasons. I think Flanagan could develop him into a half. Flanagan gave his players confidence, and kept it simple. The Sharks for many years play solid D and heads up unstructured attack and I believe Flanagan helped in no short way develop their style.
We need a complete overhaul of our style. Despite a complete roster overhaul, we still play flat Desball far too often.
Interestingly, the Broncos were telling everyone that Staggs would be their 6 this season. Pre season ballwork showed Kevyn he's not capable, and has stayed in the centres all year thus far.
Burton isn't yet a half. Even being coached by Baz who was a very good heads up running half himself, he's been unable to bring Burton along. Maybe Burton will develop into a half after a couple more seasons. I think Flanagan could develop him into a half. Flanagan gave his players confidence, and kept it simple. The Sharks for many years play solid D and heads up unstructured attack and I believe Flanagan helped in no short way develop their style.
We need a complete overhaul of our style. Despite a complete roster overhaul, we still play flat Desball far too often.
All this talk about Flanagan to coach is unbearable. Unless there is a miracle turn around, TBaz is gone and rightfully so. But let's not forget Flannagan won with a star-studded line up who were over the cap and were injected with PEDs.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Maybe because we played two bottom 4 sides… not Melbourne or Penrith ?
We just played the Broncos and got done in way worse than we did in round 2.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both our halves are soft, neither dig into the line and pass, how does one create space or an overlap if they don’t dig into the line - this will allow the engaged defender to slide and cover?? Surely TB being a coach and former 5/8 is telling his halves this? Either 1.the halves can’t execute this 2.the halves are powder puffs 3. TB is not clear on this point 4. TB gives them cuddles for not following instructions
or 5. All of the above
Flanagan has always been gun shy. Frightened to risk being hit while taking the ball to the line. Total opposite of Foran.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand criticising Burton's form but I don't understand so many people thinking he's a centre and not a half.

In 9 games in the halves at Penrith he had 7 tries, 5 try assists, 8 line breaks, 24 tackle busts and averaged about 400 kicking metres. He was also dominant in Reserves as a half.

He is a half, not a centre. He just needs to improve. Simple as that. Moving our key players from one position to another is what got us into this mess. Let's not fuck up our most talented player.
Been a 5/8 all his life.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Desball one out hit ups as their go too? Yes.

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
Laurie Daley has Burton in his SOO side at left centre ..

Even thou he knows Freddy will pick katoni and Critchon, Daley believes Burton is an origin player and would excel

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Laurie Daley has Burton in his SOO side at left centre ..

Even thou he knows Freddy will pick katoni and Critchon, Daley believes Burton is an origin player and would excel
I reckon Burton would excel - especially outside of Luai. But Daley was a terrible selector/coach and he would never of picked a player like Luai when he was coach