Burton’s Game

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suspect Burton is a better centre than he is at 6.

He compulsively steps off his left foot to straighten in attack at 6. Quite a few of the Penrith back line do that, (they’ve been drilled) but they are very quick to pass after straightening, Burton is not yet feeding his outside well.

In D Burton is slow to cover inside when the attack straightens or angles in. When someone angling in hits the ball he tends to miss. He is well and truly found out by Melbourne & Panthers so far.

Won’t be surprised if in ‘23 we see him in centres as we become a champion team again.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Burton has been poor but it's far easier playing centre for the Panthers than 5/8 for us. Go slot Tago in at centre for us and i promise you he goes no where close to replicating his Panthers form this season.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The biggest issue is our slow service and how tight our edges are. Look at our edges mid to late set. Our winger is always inside his opposite which means we will rarely ever get an overlap... Especially when you couple that with our slow service at dummy half. Burton really has no options.

Last edited:

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Thanks coach
I suspect Burton is a better centre than he is at 6.

He compulsively steps off his left foot to straighten in attack at 6. Quite a few of the Penrith back line do that, (they’ve been drilled) but they are very quick to pass after straightening, Burton is not yet feeding his outside well.

In D Burton is slow to cover inside when the attack straightens or angles in. When someone angling in hits the ball he tends to miss. He is well and truly found out by Melbourne & Panthers so far.

Won’t be surprised if in ‘23 we see him in centres as we become a champion team again.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Mahoney will give him so much time next year and take some pressure off him and whoever’s playing 7. Once we get thru this bullshit run in our corrupt af draw I can see us beating some other lower teams this year and getting our attack going. Would be good if him and Flanno can kick on and keep developing together.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How many centres kick 40/20s? He's a half. And by far the best one we have.. He's had three different halves partners in five games.. He still gets zero time on the ball because of shit service and poor coaching and has multiple defenders in his face which forces him to go back on the inside or shut down the play at times.

Now that Melbourne and Penrith are out of the way, hopefully we can see him find his form. Flanagan combined better with Burton, so we'll see how they play next week.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Burton has been poor but it's far easier playing centre for the Panthers than 5/8 for us. Go slot Tago in at centre for us and i promise you he goes no where close to replicating his Panthers form this season.
Play heka Nanai at left centre in the panthers system and he will look world class

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It will be a few seasons before we start seeing the best of Burton. Besides the reasons already given, he has got players around him that he has only played a few games with, and is still a young player himself. It is clear that our strategy this season is to keep pressure off our young halves and let them find their way. We want Burton to develop into a Wally Lewis/Brad Fitler level half, not a Brooks/Norman level half.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you want to see how Penrith can make any player look good - just watch Staines.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to see how Penrith can make any player look good - just watch Staines.
he's just keeping the spot warm for May. To'o will slot back in and May moves to the right i suspect, Staines has feet for hands whereas May is quality. also off contract, hope Kiks brings him over to us in his suitcase

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Our 9 is our biggest issue
I think we're sorted for the hooking role next year. For this year we're still playing without a scrap of composure. Kills me watching us decide to go all in on a play 20m out from our own line on tackle one or two. It frequently looks like nobody is expecting it to happen most of the time.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think we're sorted for the hooking role next year. For this year we're still playing without a scrap of composure. Kills me watching us decide to go all in on a play 20m out from our own line on tackle one or two. It frequently looks like nobody is expecting it to happen most of the time.
Yep cook or bbo give better service but i feel trent wont ever drop jmk

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good for him he was part of a premiership winning team. Bad for us they played him in centre cause he don’t know how to run a team. His last tackle options are pretty shit

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mahoney will give him so much time next year and take some pressure off him and whoever’s playing 7. Once we get thru this bullshit run in our corrupt af draw I can see us beating some other lower teams this year and getting our attack going. Would be good if him and Flanno can kick on and keep developing together.
Only team we could possibly beat is tigers.

Last edited: