Burger joints

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Really I didn’t know it was flattened.
The old Croatian Club at Punchbowl did close recently,it was there for a long time and sat on a fairly large plot of land.
On the odd occasion when driving past it always seemed fairly quiet.
Really? Used to go watch fights there back in the day. Both in and out of the ring.

Thought that place could never die.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Lashings at Drummoyne make a lovely Harvey Burger as well as chicken burgers and a massive pile of chips.
Change of ownership.
Knew the owners of that place but they sold it about 18 months ago so likely menu change now.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
First time I tried a grand Angus from Maccas, it's the closest thing to a corner shop burger from them. Needs beetroot but.

Cryptic Ghost

Sharmooderator
Reaction score
Tried Frangos at Smithfield, gotta say those chicken burgers they make are off tap.

Shits over oportos and el jannah and all those other shit joints.

Seems like my go to for now.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really? Used to go watch fights there back in the day. Both in and out of the ring.

Thought that place could never die.
The club is still there but has been sold off and trading under a completely different name.
I recall going when it was just a single story building.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If you remember it was a quiet night :-).
Had a crappy footy team U/16 footy team beat em 98 - 0 ..would have beat em 100-0 but I let my mate have a kick for conversion and he missed it.. Just a note it was the only time I kicked in a game..don’t think I missed one..only because every kick was in front! :grimacing:

Bulldog Brower

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That joint is a wasteland today.
It was sold to the Croatian Club which are due to re-develop it so we’ll see but today just rotting away.
The car park and surrounds have been used for PCR testing since covid started. Still might be used for that purpose; I haven't been this year, I'm using RAT's.

Bulldog Brower

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Really I didn’t know it was flattened.
The old Croatian Club at Punchbowl did close recently,it was there for a long time and sat on a fairly large plot of land.
On the odd occasion when driving past it always seemed fairly quiet.
Is the Croatian Club at Punchbowl still on the site of the old Sundowner Hotel?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The car park and surrounds have been used for PCR testing since covid started. Still might be used for that purpose; I haven't been this year, I'm using RAT's.
Yep, Rona tests are still there. Pot holes everywhere so if the Rona don’t get ya the potholes might :-).

Bulldog Brower

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The Sundowner was one of Sydney's top music venues in the late 70's/early 80's.
I remember groups like Cold Chisel, Skyhooks, Midnight Oil and The Angels playing there. I think INXS might have played there too.

I can't remember the details of what happened to the hotel but I do have a memory of it being bought by the Croatian Club.
Perhaps someone with a better memory than me can provide details.

HD and Ink

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Change of ownership.
Knew the owners of that place but they sold it about 18 months ago so likely menu change now.
OK cheers. I had a burger not so long ago, still big but never order the large chips.....thats carbs for a year.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Used to. Think they changed their chef recently cause it hasn’t been as good
ok,so as per usual there’s no reason to go south of Sydney.
I’m so glad I didn’t grow up down south.

I spent a weekend down south many moons ago and south coast women make Penrith women look posh!

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Sundowner was one of Sydney's top music venues in the late 70's/early 80's.
I remember groups like Cold Chisel, Skyhooks, Midnight Oil and The Angels playing there. I think INXS might have played there too.

I can't remember the details of what happened to the hotel but I do have a memory of it being bought by the Croatian Club.
Perhaps someone with a better memory than me can provide details.
Yep it sure was and In the music venue heyday it was always busy with live music. I saw Alex Smith from Moving Pictures kick a bloke front row in the head with his cowboy boot after he grabbed his leg during a song. The bloke was snoring before he hit the floor and then copped a few from the bouncers dragging him out even though he was out. Was a wild place in its day.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Good old Bobby McGee’s fantastic night club from back in the day.
I‘m not certain but by memory Wednesday was always a big night along with Concord RSL.
You couldn’t beat a mid week romp.
I was in Melbourne on business in early 2000's and went to a function at Bobby McGee's, it was somewhere in Exhibition St from memory. The name rang a bell, then when I got there .................

1676610437513.png

Always a Bulldog