Bulldogs target Panthers young gun Charlie Staines for 2021

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
OK, now were talking....some juicy rumours to get excited about. Fuck those disgusting Goodwin and McCullough rumours

I can see this happening because Penrith have probably earmarked Chricton as their rockstar FB. The kid would be wasted in the centers. If not they probably have another Staines clone coming through anyway.

The key is Barrett and Burton as he would be close to both of them. If we get one, I'd say we'd get the other one. We could offer them a pay rise and a guaranteed FG spot in their preferred positions. Also, players do follow coaches so if he's close to Baz then we're a chance.

Watching the highlights clip I wasn't able to see if he had a decent passing game although with Baz as coach I'd be confident that he could be turned into a ball playing FB, similar to how Hoppa has evolved into one.

The only question is what happens to Avo. Does Burton play 7 with Avo at 6.? Can Burton be turned into a game managing half?

At least the fullbacks we're being linked to, Staines and Albert Hopoate, have potential which is exciting for once
They're just that though.. Rumours. We're all desperate for some exciting signings but let's take these stories with a grain of salt until something is official or it's a more reliable source. It's more than likely they're seeing that we need a fullback, they use the Barrett/Penrith connection and all of a sudden it's a story.

They'll keep linking us with every player in the comp, especially Manly and Penrith players until next season.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They're just that though.. Rumours. We're all desperate for some exciting signings but let's take these stories with a grain of salt until something is official or it's a more reliable source. It's more than likely they're seeing that we need a fullback, they use the Barrett/Penrith connection and all of a sudden it's a story.

They'll keep linking us with every player in the comp, especially Manly and Penrith players until next season.
Agree but these are "believable" rumours that actually make sense. I'm pretty sure you're right and the "journo" was scouring the forum and just saw that somebody mentioned we should sign Staines and then just printed it as fact.

Staines I'm not too fussed about because we have Avo who can play 1 but Burton is a must and surely that has to be some truth to the rumour

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Agree but these are "believable" rumours that actually make sense. I'm pretty sure you're right and the "journo" was scouring the forum and just saw that somebody mentioned we should sign Staines and then just printed it as fact.

Staines I'm not too fussed about because we have Avo who can play 1 but Burton is a must and surely that has to be some truth to the rumour
Yeah Burton would be my preferred halves target. B.Smith, McInness, Clarke and Starling would be the hookers to target. I think we need a fullback though as Meaney is only a stop gap in my eyes. Staines, Albert Hopoate, Hynes or Laurie are the best options.

I'm pissed off about how Averillo is being used. He can't even crack our starting lineup when we're 2-12. This club is so frustrating sometimes. Way to fuck up his development going into next season.

Malla

Reaction score
Yeah they have insane depth and they're all young. They have quite the production line. I agree Burton is better but Luai and Cleary played all through juniors together and they'll likely win the minor premiership with those two so I don't see them changing the halves any time soon.

Either way, my point is numerous articles claim we can't touch any of their players then this article says we can have one of their most prized assets. They change the narrative to suit the agenda of their made up stories.
End of the day if a player at Penrith wants to sign with us and is off contract, there is nothing they can do to stop it.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
End of the day if a player at Penrith wants to sign with us and is off contract, there is nothing they can do to stop it.
That's what I've been saying the whole time. This whole we can't sign any Penrith players story was always bullshit.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He played all his juniors as a fullback
correct, he got player of the year in flegg. He would come at a good price also compared to JOC.

Malla

Reaction score
luai and cleary have both played together in the halves since harold matts so i think they are happy to keep that combination going. penrith would probably be sweet with 10 different combinations in their backline. their depth is insane
Yep, goes to show why it's so important to invest in your junior development.

Malla

Reaction score
That's what I've been saying the whole time. This whole we can't sign any Penrith players story was always bullshit.
Even if Burton turns around and says he wants out of Panthers. Why would they want to keep him for another year?

Agree with you, total bullshit. Baz can poach whoever he wants. I think Panthers depth is great, but if I am a back on that team and I know I can cut it in first grade week in week out, I would want out of there.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
interesting to note the article says penrith wouldnt stand in barretts way if he wanted to approach staines. i suppose with the ridiculous amount of young talent they have even they know they cant keep them all. Barrett has been very clear that he is focused on penrith this year and hopefully they might appreciate that and give him a bit more leeway in recruiting panthers players in the future
well they have mansour, To'O, Crighton, Naden, even May is picked in the centres, so they cant keep them all.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
People on this forum need to understand that these players didn't start playing football in first grade, he isn't a winger, he has played fullback 95% of his footballing career and was an absolute star in reserves, yet he plays two games on the wing in first grade and he is now "another winger". The same thing happened when we signed Cotric.

Staines would be a quality addition, if he works out then he solves our 8 year search for a fullback, if he doesn't then it'll hardly hurt the bank.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
correct, he got player of the year in flegg. He would come at a good price also compared to JOC.
I don’t reckon Penrith will let him go . Dylan Edwards is a solid fullback but nothing special. They might see Staines as their long term fullback

Thats the problem with targeting guys like Staines and Burton. They would be on next to nothing at Penrith so letting them go doesn’t really help them salary cap wise . If Luai or Cleary went down in round 1 next year they have Burton for cover

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don’t reckon Penrith will let him go . Dylan Edwards is a solid fullback but nothing special. They might see Staines as their long term fullback

Thats the problem with targeting guys like Staines and Burton. They would be on next to nothing at Penrith so letting them go doesn’t really help them salary cap wise . If Luai or Cleary went down in round 1 next year they have Burton for cover
i cant see us getting them, but if they are on base money and we offer $300,000 thats more than enough incentive to leave

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
another winger...wtf
Fullback you mean. He'd be our equivalent to RTS. Would just need to find a place for Averillo if Burton comes aswell.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The latest name on his hit list or the latest name they pull out of a hat and link to our club with no truth to the rumour?

I'd love for us to get Staines but doubt Penrith let him go and this seems like more total media bullshit to me.
They have Edwards and as could as Staines is Dylan is a very claiming influences on the sides linking with his outside men. Very good extension off Cleary as they are quite similar in they way they ball play and engage the line.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’m not sold on Staines, finishes of a few backline plays by putting ball over the line
I haven’t seen anything brilliant yet
Sure his good, but the some on here are frothing on him is ridiculous

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The guy is a Ferrari no use leaving it in the shed. Get him signed and look at Burton and some mongrel forwards.