Bulldogs target Panthers young gun Charlie Staines for 2021

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
interesting to note the article says penrith wouldnt stand in barretts way if he wanted to approach staines. i suppose with the ridiculous amount of young talent they have even they know they cant keep them all. Barrett has been very clear that he is focused on penrith this year and hopefully they might appreciate that and give him a bit more leeway in recruiting panthers players in the future
I'd also be surprised if Penrith let him go, would be pretty similar to the Cows letting Ponga go...

Panthers might be happy with the way things are now and not want to mix things up through the spine? If Staines pushes for a release they might just grant it... hopefully.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Seriously the kid finishes off a few tries through an already amazing backline and we're troffing over him.

Let's spend money on the key positions for once and trust that we can bring in good finishers on the cheap. Every club does it but us.
Exactly. I’d rather Coates or stagg. Both seem like they are on top of their game. This kid might be special. But after only 2 games in its hard to know. Literally crossed the line for most of his try’s. But others that know more about him sound impressed.

Malla

Reaction score
Seriously the kid finishes off a few tries through an already amazing backline and we're troffing over him.

Let's spend money on the key positions for once and trust that we can bring in good finishers on the cheap. Every club does it but us.
He would be cheap as chips. What would entice him to sign with us is a guarenteed first grade spot and of course Baz. Wouldnt be worth more than what Meaney is on at the moment. Maybe a tad more.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd also be surprised if Penrith let him go, would be pretty similar to the Cows letting Ponga go...

Panthers might be happy with the way things are now and not want to mix things up through the spine? If Staines pushes for a release they might just grant it... hopefully.
yep i think penrith just have an embarrassment of riches at the moment. they also seem like the type of club that wouldnt block a young player if hes ready for first grade (that couldve been more gould's influence) especially when they have edwards and aekins there anyway. even if its not for 2021, if his path is still blocked and he has a decent relationship with barrett then we might be a solid chance for 2022

Malla

Reaction score
interesting to note the article says penrith wouldnt stand in barretts way if he wanted to approach staines. i suppose with the ridiculous amount of young talent they have even they know they cant keep them all. Barrett has been very clear that he is focused on penrith this year and hopefully they might appreciate that and give him a bit more leeway in recruiting panthers players in the future
I would say that and guaranteeing him a starting gig at fullback would lure him.

That and the influence of Baz, if any.

In saying that, all of this would be a waste of time if we can't get a good hooker and half. They should be priority.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If Staines is potentially available, why wouldn't Burton be? If anything it makes more sense for them to hold onto Staines than it does Burton.

Again, I don't take too much stock in this rumour. If we could somehow get Staines as fullback and Burton in the halves I'd be ecstatic but I'm not getting my hopes up off something reported by the mole.

Malla

Reaction score
If Staines is potentially available, why wouldn't Burton be? If anything it makes more sense for them to hold onto Staines than it does Burton.

Again, I don't take too much stock in this rumour. If we could somehow get Staines as fullback and Burton in the halves I'd be ecstatic but I'm not getting my hopes up off something reported by the mole.
Player as good as Burton in the position he plays doesn't come by very often.

Staines is great but he is easily replaceable for a team like Panthers.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say that and guaranteeing him a starting gig at fullback would lure him.

That and the influence of Baz, if any.

In saying that, all of this would be a waste of time if we can't get a good hooker and half. They should be priority.
yep i have brandon smith and matt burton before him. we can always use hoppa/meaney/averillo at fullback for the time being

Malla

Reaction score
yep i have brandon smith and matt burton before him. we can always use hoppa/meaney/averillo at fullback for the time being
Yeah, I forget we have Averillo. Could prove to be anything for us - but clearly is not a centre.

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He won 2 grand finals in one day at fullback for forbes 2 years ago before he was 18... U18s and 1st grade both against crack dubbo cyms teams and matt Burton also played both games for dubbo cyms.... Dominated 1st grade in a lot of games then.....

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Player as good as Burton in the position he plays doesn't come by very often.

Staines is great but he is easily replaceable for a team like Panthers.
Yeah but they already have Cleary and Luai so Burton has nowhere to play. Unless they turn him into a lock/second rower.

Staines is a fullback and only has Edwards standing in his way. Staines could also play wing and easily replace Mansour.

Malla

Reaction score
Yeah but they already have Cleary and Luai so Burton has nowhere to play. Unless they turn him into a lock/second rower.

Staines is a fullback and only has Edwards standing in his way. Staines could also play wing and easily replace Mansour.
You reckon Luai stays? He's playing well at the moment, but a couple bad games and he's gone I reckon. Burton is so much better.

Daine Laurie is listed as a fullback and pretty sure Crichton is a fullback too? Mansour is way passed it, Naden has been filling in for To'o well so he could easily replace Mansour. Fuck me Panthers have so much depth in their backline.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You reckon Luai stays? He's playing well at the moment, but a couple bad games and he's gone I reckon. Burton is so much better.

Daine Laurie is listed as a fullback and pretty sure Crichton is a fullback too? Mansour is way passed it, Naden has been filling in for To'o well so he could easily replace Mansour. Fuck me Panthers have so much depth in their backline.
Yeah they have insane depth and they're all young. They have quite the production line. I agree Burton is better but Luai and Cleary played all through juniors together and they'll likely win the minor premiership with those two so I don't see them changing the halves any time soon.

Either way, my point is numerous articles claim we can't touch any of their players then this article says we can have one of their most prized assets. They change the narrative to suit the agenda of their made up stories.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

luai and cleary have both played together in the halves since harold matts so i think they are happy to keep that combination going. penrith would probably be sweet with 10 different combinations in their backline. their depth is insane

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, now were talking....some juicy rumours to get excited about. Fuck those disgusting Goodwin and McCullough rumours

I can see this happening because Penrith have probably earmarked Chricton as their rockstar FB. The kid would be wasted in the centers. If not they probably have another Staines clone coming through anyway.

The key is Barrett and Burton as he would be close to both of them. If we get one, I'd say we'd get the other one. We could offer them a pay rise and a guaranteed FG spot in their preferred positions. Also, players do follow coaches so if he's close to Baz then we're a chance.

Watching the highlights clip I wasn't able to see if he had a decent passing game although with Baz as coach I'd be confident that he could be turned into a ball playing FB, similar to how Hoppa has evolved into one.

The only question is what happens to Avo. Does Burton play 7 with Avo at 6.? Can Burton be turned into a game managing half?

At least the fullbacks we're being linked to, Staines and Albert Hopoate, have potential which is exciting for once

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
That video shows why we need Burton. I'm not saying Staines isn't good but a lot of his tries are because of other players. All we know is he's lightning fast and support play is his biggest strength.

If Nick Meaney was on the wing for Panthers on the night Staines debuted he would of got four tries as well.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't worry boys and girls, I'll confirm with my "insiders" if this rumour is true. Just let me PM Nasheed and David Holland and I'll get back to you.........