Bulldogs in crisis: Club great Steve Mortimer says he’ll quit if Des Hasler gets contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upupcronulla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Can't blame the board for all of this. If the board can't trust the coach on who he recruits or who he appoints as his support staff then the coach shouldnt be there

The moment the board tries to run the team and dictates who and who can't work under des or what players he can recruit is the moment the place turns to shit.

It's not the boards job to do that. They appoint the coach who they think can do the job and let him run the football side of thing.

It's ludicrous to suggest it's the boards fault about clear coming on and previous recruits. The only fault of the board it seems is that they trusted des to do the job and now it appears they realised things aren't working out so they are doing their job and acting on it

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah that's right... such a club man and living legend that he upped and pissed off during the Coffs Harbour saga, instead of standing with the club as a united front.

Yep, remember a time when Mortimer was the club CEO, and when the news of Coffs Harbour scandal hit, instead of facing the media with adversary, he took the cowards route and resigned.

The **** couldn't even side with our players, instead insinuating that they were guilty.

This is the very legend some of you guys are gagging on his ballsack over.

Lets not forget he cost us Thurston too to save his own ego.

1. I would have kept Thurston: ex-Dogs boss

SO there you go, he cost us Thurston, and note the same "poor me, suit myself and resign" attitude. It's rearing it's ugly head again.

You guys can be as blinkered as you want on it... facts are facts.

Mortimer is looking after Mortimer... not the club, and certainly not the coach.

Heck, he is mates with Raelenes father.. so hes trying to save her arse too.

Truth will come out on Friday, and I'm sure there will be some disappointed people.
You have been talking some rubbish lately but that tops it. Just stop you're embarrassing yourself.

RichoDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Lesson 1 - no 5 year coaching deals - Lesson 2 - do not be so stupid as to hand total control of your club over to the same guy who then Hasler you by the nuts - this was always going to happen ! The board is setting the scene for the fans for a Shite 2017. Hasler has to go now before all those off contract hit the market or we again will miss out on talent and we will be done for years to come.

silverelvis69

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Lesson 1 - no 5 year coaching deals - Lesson 2 - do not be so stupid as to hand total control of your club over to the same guy who then Hasler you by the nuts - this was always going to happen ! The board is setting the scene for the fans for a Shite 2017. Hasler has to go now before all those off contract hit the market or we again will miss out on talent and we will be done for years to come.
For Turvey to come out in public - prior to this meeting- will go down ugly!
Hasler has obviously ruffled feathers across the club.

Momentum is gaining to be sacked.

I hope Turvey at the end of the day- going in on behalf of the players- which after all- if they don't want to play for him- then it's time for a change- despite the cv Hasler holds!

khan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No I'm telling our "number 1 club legend" to shut the fuck up and stop dragging the clubs name through the dirt.

Where do you guys think the media is getting all this information from about Hasler on the rocks?
MORTIMER

AND DOES IT COME AS NO SUPRISE THAT
Suddenly he's in a few papers, shooting multiple comments off about Hasler going.

ADD TO THIS
Coorey himself states that nothing has been talked about Haslers position.

PUT 2 and 2 TOGETHER.. ITS OBVIOUS WHAT IS GOING ON!!!
This "number 1 club legend", is doing his best to use trial by media to give the rest of the board no other choice but to sack Hasler and keep his mate Castle free from the swinging axe.

WHY DO YOU THINK HE THREATENED TO WALK IF HASLER REMAINS?
It's not because of that, it's because they'll quickly find out he was shit talking to the media to try and have Hasler removed, and they'll remove him from his position on the board.

SIMPLE AS THAT!
Wtf wow! As a moderator of the BULLDOGS kennel u are very delusional in alot of regards

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Seems the last few days Mortimer has been beating his chest telling every paper who cares to listen "I'M A DIRECTOR ON THE BOARD".

Mortimer needs to really shut the fuck up. I mean that. His latest few articles quoting him in the media, makes it sound like he's firing a gun into the air, happy to get sacked.

I mean he's tendered his resignation, and doesn't care if he leaves the board... THAT SPEAKS VOLUMES!!

Mortimer is doing more damage to this club opening his mouth than he realises. Oh and the gushing display of support for Castle says it all. He knows Castles position is on the chopping block, and by backing her and speaking out against Des, it turns the media spotlight away from her and criticism of her.

Yet others like RLW MOLE are saying board are unhappy as well.

COULD IT BE that Castle is potentially getting sacked, and that's why Mortimer has tendered his resignation in advance???

and if the club sack her and keep Hasler, he has a ready made excuse above.
Great post Mr I, same applies to Mr intelligence ( BAA ) If my memory serves me correct Turvey could not even
handle the CEO position after the Salary cap fiasco either.
Other than Mortimer or the speculating Media, who else with substance such as another currant board member has confirmed that the Board is unhappy?

Dex

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just because he is a footy legend on the field it doesn't mean he knows how to run a club.

Either way, as much as it's Hasler fault the team has been pathetic, it's also the BOARDS fault.

Hasler reports to the board. Why didn't they pull Hasler up a year ago about this?

The only reason it's become an issue now is because fans aren't re-needing their memberships.

If fans were renewing, Hasler would had signed his 2 year extension.

The current board needs to go. They got a year left, no matter what happens, they need to go for allowing all this to happen.

Dex

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, really strong rumours are going around that Matthew Elliot has been signed as coach for next year.

If this is true, what's the point? The whole argument from the board is that Hasler doesn't understand the Bulldogs culture, nor have the Bulldogs DNA.

Let's hope the Mathew Elliot rumour is not true, because if it is, we will all be wishing Hasler had stayed.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also, really strong rumours are going around that Matthew Elliot has been signed as coach for next year.

If this is true, what's the point? The whole argument from the board is that Hasler doesn't understand the Bulldogs culture, nor have the Bulldogs DNA.

Let's hope the Mathew Elliot rumour is not true, because if it is, we will all be wishing Hasler had stayed.
The Elliott rumour is 100% bullshit it was made up on Twitter by the same guy that made up the benji rumour a few weeks ago.

Reactions: Dex

khan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just because he is a footy legend on the field it doesn't mean he knows how to run a club.

Either way, as much as it's Hasler fault the team has been pathetic, it's also the BOARDS fault.

Hasler reports to the board. Why didn't they pull Hasler up a year ago about this?

The only reason it's become an issue now is because fans aren't re-needing their memberships.

If fans were renewing, Hasler would had signed his 2 year extension.

The current board needs to go. They got a year left, no matter what happens, they need to go for allowing all this to happen.
They mite have put trust in him (as u do) n didn't want to interfere in his fkd up operations.. did u think of that?

Dex

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They mite have put trust in him (as u do) n didn't want to interfere in his fkd up operations.. did u think of that?
Khan, That's a rubbish excuse to protect the current board that Hasler reports to.

Hasler should had been put on notice a long time ago. Two months ago, Hasler was about to sign a two year extension, now all of a sudden, the board is coming out full swinging saying Hasler doesn't have Bulldogs DNA.

What has changed in the last two months? I'll tell you what, membership renewal numbers. If everybody had been renewing, Hasler would be coaching till 2019

You get my drift?

Dex

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Elliott rumour is 100% bullshit it was made up on Twitter by the same guy that made up the benji rumour a few weeks ago.
I did ask if Elliot was bringing Benji with him. I didn't get a reply

bells76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Oh yeah that's right... such a club man and living legend that he upped and pissed off during the Coffs Harbour saga, instead of standing with the club as a united front.

Yep, remember a time when Mortimer was the club CEO, and when the news of Coffs Harbour scandal hit, instead of facing the media with adversary, he took the cowards route and resigned.

The **** couldn't even side with our players, instead insinuating that they were guilty.

This is the very legend some of you guys are gagging on his ballsack over.

Lets not forget he cost us Thurston too to save his own ego.

1. I would have kept Thurston: ex-Dogs boss

SO there you go, he cost us Thurston, and note the same "poor me, suit myself and resign" attitude. It's rearing it's ugly head again.

You guys can be as blinkered as you want on it... facts are facts.

Mortimer is looking after Mortimer... not the club, and certainly not the coach.

Heck, he is mates with Raelenes father.. so hes trying to save her arse too.

Truth will come out on Friday, and I'm sure there will be some disappointed people.
You really need to lay off the crack pipe..... Mortimer fell on his sword as the NRL wanted it's pound of flesh for what happened at Coffs. Anyone that knows Turvey or knew him at the time would have seen how much him resigning cut him . Folkes cost us Thurston end of story. Go back to your delusional referee theories

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
ive heard that 5 of 7 board members want him gone ... can anyone confirm this ??

khan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Khan, That's a rubbish excuse to protect the current board that Hasler reports to.

Hasler should had been put on notice a long time ago. Two months ago, Hasler was about to sign a two year extension, now all of a sudden, the board is coming out full swinging saying Hasler doesn't have Bulldogs DNA.

What has changed in the last two months? I'll tell you what, membership renewal numbers. If everybody had been renewing, Hasler would be coaching till 2019

You get my drift?
I agree re memberships, i applaud the majority of our supporters for standing up n taking a stance against what is not acceptable in our club.
I strongly believe des is about des n it results in ugly break ups.. manly 1st now us.. whos next?
I Slightly agree that the board should have stepped in earlier but after 5 yrs of bullshit n membership sales goin down, they thought fk this n hit a panic button.. but hey watever works

Reactions: GDR

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This is my first post.

Mortimer is a club legend, deserves respect and is entitled to voice an opinion. Des talks about stats. Stats dont win games. Good players with vision that know how to play whats in front of them win games. Shackled players become puppets.

Des is applauded for a great 2012 - one Ben Barba set the Dogs alight - he was the reason behind the great year. But what happened in the GF? Des had no plan B and we lost.

Des has let good player's go. Rona scored 22 tries in 2015 because Pritchard was running down his side of the field. What happened to Rona post Pritchard? Very few tries and looked second rate. Ennis played with passion but Des shackled him.

In summary:

- he's let Pritchard Barba Ennis Finucane Tapou Chisholm & others go. Look at them now

- when he was at Manly 1st grade competitive and lower grades crap

- when he came to Dogs the lower grades were competitive. Look at them now

- he has only attracted Sherex Liccha HopoffonSundays and BMoz. I rate Bmoz

- 3 times hes failed to attract his mate Foran to the club. Why?

- Matautia brothers signed then backflipped

- we predominantly sign forwards - why

- he rarely changes first 17 no matter how bad they play. Look at Trex. 4 years of mediocrity b4 he acted

- juniors leave because they know they won't get a crack

- semi final v Penrith he decided to start with Kasiano after 2 weeks of no footy. What a fucking stupid idea. Kasiano has been our best player off the bench. Joe public knows that but not Des

- against Warriors in Wellington he started without Graham & Tolman & brought them on when we were losing

- finally dumb boring footy. Im sick of seeing Klemmer turn his back and run backwards into the opposition. Graham no longer runs to the line and passess, kicking game is crap, Reynolds runs sideways, Mbye doesnt get the ball, the Morris boys rarely touch the ball, hes bought reserve graders in Lee & Kennar blah blah blah etc etc etc.

I'm sick of Des. I want change. I want to see attractive footy. I want to be a club that good players want to come to. I want the Dogs of War passion.

Bring back old heads like Dean Pay.

I've rambled on too long. I wont renew my membership to the football club or my season tickets if Des is at the helm.

In the words of others - FUCK OFF DES
Mate, absolutely fantastic post. From the heart. You have picked up on everything wrong with our coaches plan 100%.

Majority of the posters have mentioned many of these things throughout the year, you sir have wrapped them all up in a neat little parcel which is a damning rundown of what ails our club.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
His position is untenable
Hope they can finalise a payout settlement and move forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.