Bulldogs heart-throb now living on streets and battling cancer

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
With face tattoos and missing front teeth, he moves slowly around the streets of Coolangatta and Tweed Heads with his shopping trolley and chemotherapy infusion pump.
He wears the same clothes, has no money, no support and sleeps on the beach.

And life for Sandy Campbell has now become utterly cruel – he has throat cancer.

Once a rugby league glamour player with Canterbury, Souths and Easts, Campbell is now homeless.

The man nicknamed The Sandman was a 1980s dancing footy heart-throb. Tall, strong and with curly black hair, Campbell thrilled fans in his 93-game career between 1986 and 1991.

He once famously adorned the front cover of Rugby League Week where he imitated Michael Jackson under a headline which roared: “BAD – The dancin’ Bulldog. The remarkable talents of a Bulldogs flyer.”

Now he has nothing – except a warm smile for those kind enough to stop for a quick chat as he pushes a Coles shopping trolley full of his modest possessions.

He is often seen at a Tweed Heads St Vincent de Paul homeless shelter, Fred’s Place, where he seeks out a hot meal.

Campbell, 56, was spotted this week in denim overalls with heavily tattooed legs. His beard is grey and a green tarpaulin covers his belongings from the rain.

He visits Tweed Heads Hospital for a six-hour chemotherapy treatment before leaving with a tube which he self-administers. The modern medical device looks out of place in his trolley full of used plastic bags.

“He’s got nothing and he has just been diagnosed with throat cancer,” said Campbell’s good mate, Darren Smith. “He just started treatment but has got nowhere to stay, nowhere to go and no help.

“At the moment, he is sleeping on the beach underneath one of the surf clubs at Coolangatta. I don’t even know how to help him. What do I do? I was going to start a Go Fund Me page to try and help him out.

“No one can give him accommodation and he’s got no money. There’s no housing anywhere, he’s got cancer and he’s walking around with chemo treatment being pumped into him while pushing his trolley.

“He has a pump which is attached to him 24-7 as part of his treatment. I have helped him out many times. He slept in my office for many years because he had nowhere to go, but I sold that business and don’t have that office anymore.

“It makes it even harder because he is sick. To have a bed to sleep in would be everything for him. It’s very sad.

“I saw him the other day and thought: ‘What the f …, are you serious?’ Look at him, he’s connected up to this (medical) shit and pushing his trolley – how do you help?”

Papua New Guinea-born, Campbell has “lounge hopped” for the past 20 years. He is estranged from his partner and twin girls.

Friends say Campbell struggled emotionally and financially after his footy career, working as a security guard in night clubs and tattoo artist.

Campbell shifted to Fremantle several years ago.

“Sandy used to work for me on the door and we became close friends,” said another friend, Nunzio La Bianca.

“He was constantly lounge-hopping. He’s been doing it, realistically, since he left footy. There was no regular money coming in.

“‘Sandman’ stayed at my house off and on for years and at Darren’s house off and on. He has found himself on the streets. If you see him, can you help him out financially or a place to live? He’s a legend of the game.

“We don’t know where to find him – he’s homeless. He just got on the wrong side of life. He was a monster when he was playing – he was a good lookin’ boy.”

Smith added: “Being a young player, and given all that money, how the hell was he to know what to do with it? He’s always in good spirits and always has a smile on his face. Nothing ever seems wrong. He doesn’t let it in.”

A former Australian Schoolboy champion, Campbell made his first grade debut for the Bulldogs against Cronulla in 1986. He scored 17 career tries and contested two finals games for Canterbury in 1986.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Tragic. Not often down that way but will b sure to keep an eye out.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuck, i knew sandy in the late eighties early nineties, then lost touch, I wouldn’t have known it was him now even if i walked past him in the street. Poor buggar.
had it all, now nothing but cancer, wow life can be cruel.
I guess he has to stay close to tweed hospital for the chemo, surely there is a roof over his head solution?
So sad

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's a sad story. Hopefully an organisation like Men In League step in as this is the very thing they're supposed to be meant for. If not, hopefully the Salvos or someone else to find him some shelter and get him off the street.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember this guy, he was a good looking bloke and everything to live for, what a tragic story. I truly believe that concussion makes players sometimes struggle when they finish their footy careers. Very sad, hopefully something will turn things around for him and other players that struggle after retiring from Footy.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
With face tattoos and missing front teeth, he moves slowly around the streets of Coolangatta and Tweed Heads with his shopping trolley and chemotherapy infusion pump.
He wears the same clothes, has no money, no support and sleeps on the beach.

And life for Sandy Campbell has now become utterly cruel – he has throat cancer.

Once a rugby league glamour player with Canterbury, Souths and Easts, Campbell is now homeless.

The man nicknamed The Sandman was a 1980s dancing footy heart-throb. Tall, strong and with curly black hair, Campbell thrilled fans in his 93-game career between 1986 and 1991.

He once famously adorned the front cover of Rugby League Week where he imitated Michael Jackson under a headline which roared: “BAD – The dancin’ Bulldog. The remarkable talents of a Bulldogs flyer.”

Now he has nothing – except a warm smile for those kind enough to stop for a quick chat as he pushes a Coles shopping trolley full of his modest possessions.

He is often seen at a Tweed Heads St Vincent de Paul homeless shelter, Fred’s Place, where he seeks out a hot meal.

Campbell, 56, was spotted this week in denim overalls with heavily tattooed legs. His beard is grey and a green tarpaulin covers his belongings from the rain.

He visits Tweed Heads Hospital for a six-hour chemotherapy treatment before leaving with a tube which he self-administers. The modern medical device looks out of place in his trolley full of used plastic bags.

“He’s got nothing and he has just been diagnosed with throat cancer,” said Campbell’s good mate, Darren Smith. “He just started treatment but has got nowhere to stay, nowhere to go and no help.

“At the moment, he is sleeping on the beach underneath one of the surf clubs at Coolangatta. I don’t even know how to help him. What do I do? I was going to start a Go Fund Me page to try and help him out.

“No one can give him accommodation and he’s got no money. There’s no housing anywhere, he’s got cancer and he’s walking around with chemo treatment being pumped into him while pushing his trolley.

“He has a pump which is attached to him 24-7 as part of his treatment. I have helped him out many times. He slept in my office for many years because he had nowhere to go, but I sold that business and don’t have that office anymore.

“It makes it even harder because he is sick. To have a bed to sleep in would be everything for him. It’s very sad.

“I saw him the other day and thought: ‘What the f …, are you serious?’ Look at him, he’s connected up to this (medical) shit and pushing his trolley – how do you help?”

Papua New Guinea-born, Campbell has “lounge hopped” for the past 20 years. He is estranged from his partner and twin girls.

Friends say Campbell struggled emotionally and financially after his footy career, working as a security guard in night clubs and tattoo artist.

Campbell shifted to Fremantle several years ago.

“Sandy used to work for me on the door and we became close friends,” said another friend, Nunzio La Bianca.

“He was constantly lounge-hopping. He’s been doing it, realistically, since he left footy. There was no regular money coming in.

“‘Sandman’ stayed at my house off and on for years and at Darren’s house off and on. He has found himself on the streets. If you see him, can you help him out financially or a place to live? He’s a legend of the game.

“We don’t know where to find him – he’s homeless. He just got on the wrong side of life. He was a monster when he was playing – he was a good lookin’ boy.”

Smith added: “Being a young player, and given all that money, how the hell was he to know what to do with it? He’s always in good spirits and always has a smile on his face. Nothing ever seems wrong. He doesn’t let it in.”

A former Australian Schoolboy champion, Campbell made his first grade debut for the Bulldogs against Cronulla in 1986. He scored 17 career tries and contested two finals games for Canterbury in 1986.
Damn. THat's horrible to hear!

I remember getting his autograph in the changing rooms at Belmore and he was humble as fuck. Said something along the lines:

"You sure you want mine? " with a massive smile.

Horrible what can happen to people

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn. THat's horrible to hear!

I remember getting his autograph in the changing rooms at Belmore and he was humble as fuck. Said something along the lines:

"You sure you want mine? " with a massive smile.

Horrible what can happen to people
Yeah he was very humble, happy go lucky lad.
Very confident with the ladies, but not with an ego.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What’s the best way to get behind this bloke and support him …. living on the streets and has cancer, that must be so tough on him … these are the questions I’d prefer to see us Doggies fans asking Gus on Twitter …

I’d love to see the TK talking about how we can get behind ex players like Sandy and help out than most of the crap that get’s posted on here …

I’m on the GC close to Cooley … if there’s so many TK fans on here with all this said inner circle contacts, instead of all these crappy rumours and who’s possibly being signed next, find out how we can improve Sandy’s way of life & let me know, I’m more than willing to volunteer my time and get behind it …

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah he was very humble, happy go lucky lad.
Very confident with the ladies, but not with an ego.
Yeah. Really was. He was on the bench for ressies that day from memory, so didn't think that much of himself it seemed.

Not so sure with the ladies thoug hyou seem to know what's going on there ... lol

WestenBulldog

Waterboy
Reaction score
I used to train at the same gym as Sandman here in Perth in the nineties. He also used to take dance classes there too. From memory he came across to try and crack it with the Western Reds.

I remember him telling me a story when he was a winger at the Dogs and the forwards used to stuck into each other and he would be out on the wing and just cringe at the hits. Those were the days.

Gus and Sandy would’ve been about the same vintage so hopefully the club can support him in some capacity. He was a real humble and nice guy.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember him. We went through many promising wingers in the 80s when we were a top team. Campbell, Matthew Callahan, Brett Dallas, Steve O'Brien were a few.

I wish anyone thinking of getting a face tattoo would seriously think about their job prospects first.

Paul Doolans mirror

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Men of league,the nrl and the bulldogs surely will help Sandy after this..Only recently I watched a fastest man in league race from the 80/90s era and from memory Sandy came second.Im surprised even a cancer council type haven't given him a room during his chemo..this is wrong