Bulldogs heart-throb now living on streets and battling cancer

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree with all the posters, Smithy pondering whether a gofundme gift/page should be set up i'd say absolutely YES..of course and this is where the club could come in, someone with connections needs to find him some digs to live in(our new partners Towoomba Clydesdales would be a good place to start/source options)...sounds like it needs to be near where he is getting treatment or near to another appropriately equipped hospital..plenty around the Goldy, brissy etc I imagine.
Caravan parks sometimes have permanent mobile homes/sites, this bloke needs a big lump of support monetary wise and also ppl to help find him a modest but decent place of his own to live.
I know its reported rentals are at an all time low level of availability but this should be do-able goddamit.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agree with all the posters, Smithy pondering whether a gofundme gift/page should be set up i'd say absolutely YES..of course and this is where the club could come in, someone with connections needs to find him some digs to live in(our new partners Towoomba Clydesdales would be a good place to start/source options)...sounds like it needs to be near where he is getting treatment or near to another appropriately equipped hospital..plenty around the Goldy, brissy etc I imagine.
Caravan parks sometimes have permanent mobile homes/sites, this bloke needs a big lump of support monetary wise and also ppl to help find him a modest but decent place of his own to live.
I know its reported rentals are at an all time low level of availability but this should be do-able goddamit.
If Bulldogs fans are serious about helping him out, it would be just a matter of finding the homeless support agency or someone living in the area who is happy to pass on your generosity.
He 's obviously not hard to find.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If Bulldogs fans are serious about helping him out, it would be just a matter of finding the homeless support agency or someone living in the area who is happy to pass on your generosity.
He 's obviously not hard to find.
Pass the hat round at training.too...sure they could raise 10k easily..hence the gofundme deal would be good, have a designated collection point provided its administered by good people..I would definitely donate.

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone tweet Gus and Laundy asking if they would support a go fund me, with that exposure and potentially laundy chipping I reckon we'll raise $20k+

Put me down for a hundo

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can't speak for this particular situation. But I have an uncle who's opted to live on the streets. At times my dad has helped set him up with housing and tried to get his life on track. But it's only possible to help people in this way if that's what they want.

I'm not saying we shouldn't help. But knowing the right way to help is the starting point.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Just reading it now. This really is sad.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember this guy, he was a good looking bloke and everything to live for, what a tragic story. I truly believe that concussion makes players sometimes struggle when they finish their footy careers. Very sad, hopefully something will turn things around for him and other players that struggle after retiring from Footy.
I’m sure CTE is a factor, but even if you take that out of the equation, it’s got to be hard going from playing professional sport with a lot of other blokes and being in the limelight, to a regular job/life. I reckon a lot of guys would struggle without the club and boys being around them, and not having that rush of pro footy. I reckon this could explain Brett Dallas going the way he has too.

Hopefully someone from the club and/or Men of League or anyone can give Sandy a hand. His situation sounds awful.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't speak for this particular situation. But I have an uncle who's opted to live on the streets. At times my dad has helped set him up with housing and tried to get his life on track. But it's only possible to help people in this way if that's what they want.

I'm not saying we shouldn't help. But knowing the right way to help is the starting point.
I agree, sometimes people prefer to live on the streets. You and I wouldn’t understand it, but that’s the way some want it.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I hope Sandy will be ok but I reckon you're right about finding the right way to help. From what Smithy said it sounds like a regular decent bed would make a big difference, even if it's not attached to a traditional home.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What’s the best way to get behind this bloke and support him …. living on the streets and has cancer, that must be so tough on him … these are the questions I’d prefer to see us Doggies fans asking Gus on Twitter …

I’d love to see the TK talking about how we can get behind ex players like Sandy and help out than most of the crap that get’s posted on here …

I’m on the GC close to Cooley … if there’s so many TK fans on here with all this said inner circle contacts, instead of all these crappy rumours and who’s possibly being signed next, find out how we can improve Sandy’s way of life & let me know, I’m more than willing to volunteer my time and get behind it …
Gould was a team mate then coach to him.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

100% correct.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hey guys ive set up a go fund me which i will give all the money to the nrl to pass on to sandy!!! As a life time bulldogs supporter i would hope this would raise the momey needed to fins this guy some accomodation.
Please share the shit out of this link and if anyone has any other ideas on how to pass the funds on then would love ur feedback
Cheers
Great news guys..

08ED2262-7A71-49A6-90A1-D7B04634A7FD.jpeg

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
NRL news: Canturbury Bulldogs vow to help Sandy Campbell as he battles homelessness, cancer
The Bulldogs have been shocked to learn of former player, Sandy Campbell’s devastating plight, promising to help the former player in his time of need.

Dean Ritchie and Phil Rothfield
Daily Teleg
December 10, 2022 - 6:00AM

The Canterbury Bulldogs and former players are reaching out to assist Sandy Campbell, the former NRL star who is homeless and fighting cancer.
The Daily Telegraph’s distressing story of Campbell’s plight and a photo of him pushing his belongings in a Coles shopping trolley has shocked the club where he played in the 80s.

“The Bulldogs have begun reaching out to see how we can assist,” said chairman John Khoury.

“Whether it be through housing, medical, financial assistance or other, we will try and do what we can to support our former player in his time of need.

Former rugby league player Sandy Campbell is homeless and battling cancer.

Former rugby league player Sandy Campbell is homeless and battling cancer.
“Our priority at present is getting in touch with Sandy and representatives, on behalf of the club, have already made plans to travel to the area to look at what assistance can be provided with respect to his current circumstances.

“We have long been the family club and our stance is, ‘Once a Bulldog, always a Bulldog’. We intend to do as much as possible to assist Sandy, and his health and wellbeing are our utmost concern at this time.”

The problem is actually tracking down the 56-year-old, who has been homeless for several months in the Coolangatta and Tweed Heads areas.

The Daily Telegraph understands he regularly visits Tweed Heads Hospital for a six-hour chemotherapy treatment.

The Bulldogs have vowed to help the struggling former player. Picture: News Corp

The Bulldogs have vowed to help the struggling former player. Picture: News Corp
Campbell was a cult hero throughout his 93-game career between 1986-91, where he enjoyed stints at Canterbury, Eastern Suburbs, then South Sydney.

His best season was in his third and final year at the Bulldogs, where the Papua New Guinean scored six tries in 16 games, before retiring with 17 tries in total.
He played alongside some of the Bulldogs’ best in that era, including Andrew Farrar, Terry Lamb, Paul Langmack, David Gillespie, Steve Folkes, Peter Tunks and Steve Mortimer. He was also coached by the Bulldogs’ current boss, Phil Gould.

The Bulldogs are looking at several options to assist including emergency accommodation, food and medical care. The Men of League organisation is also looking at ways to help.

Another former player, Kurt Landers, has set up a GoFundMe page.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a story in The Australian today saying the Dogs are going to help him. I can't access it unfortunately

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fucking love this club! Sandy is probably like me, doesn’t like to ask for help, but hopefully he’ll let the club and whoever else is offering help him because no one should live like that.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Very sad news.. Men of League will do something I’m sure..they are a great organisation..

ps how good are Kennelers straight away looking at ways to help..and I mean help personally..Best fans in the business..
I play golf with a player who was in the Sharks original team in 1967, who is also in the Men of League.

I will let him know about this situation with Sandy.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if Darren Smith ever contacted the club. If not, then it says a lot of how far we had fallen under the previous regime.

Also i am certain every other club would have done the same. There is a duty of care that the NRL is failing.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I was at Belmore one Friday Night, when I saw Sandy Campbell, in a reserve grade game field a kick in his own in goal, run the length of the field, and then run around to score under the posts.

Does anyone else remember that try? I think the opposition was Saints.

Last edited:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
In a week where we have been sprouting the return of the “family club”…this would be an ideal situation to help /save a life of a fallen brother
Not to be negative, but to me it is partly the reason why this article was published imo. News ltd put it out there and if the club didn't do anything, you can guess what article would follow. Good on the club for helping though, wish him all the best.