News Bulldogs hard man Luke Thompson rushes home to England 'in an emotional state' to deal with a mystery family issue

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He is a 300-400k player on more than double that. Hope all is well for him but regardless I was happy to see him go. Invest his whole salary into Burton and Burton's current salary into two solid props.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is a 300-400k player on more than double that. Hope all is well for him but regardless I was happy to see him go. Invest his whole salary into Burton and Burton's current salary into two solid props.
"happy to see him go". He's only gone home for family reasons, Gus has said he is due back at the club by July 8. He's contracted to the end of next year.

On what he's shown he hasn't shown anywhere near the amount of money we've paid for him other than a few man of the match performances, which shows he can handle NRL level but he needs to get his head and family issues sorted out and that is what the club is allowing him to do and hopefully he comes back fresher and better than ever to help us put a few more wins together.

I'm neutral on whether he stays or not. Yes we need to free up some salary cap space but I also feel we definitely haven't seen the best of him as he was the standout prop for St Helens a few years back and has only shown glimpses of that since being with us.

He's off contract at the end of '23, whether he stays that long time will tell but I'd say Gus is already working behind the scenes for a marquee replacement. I notice Tapine is also off contract at the Raiders in '23 and he's on 50K less than Thompson and is regarded as one of the best, if not the best props, in the game.

Malla

Reaction score
"happy to see him go". He's only gone home for family reasons, Gus has said he is due back at the club by July 8. He's contracted to the end of next year.

On what he's shown he hasn't shown anywhere near the amount of money we've paid for him other than a few man of the match performances, which shows he can handle NRL level but he needs to get his head and family issues sorted out and that is what the club is allowing him to do and hopefully he comes back fresher and better than ever to help us put a few more wins together.

I'm neutral on whether he stays or not. Yes we need to free up some salary cap space but I also feel we definitely haven't seen the best of him as he was the standout prop for St Helens a few years back and has only shown glimpses of that since being with us.

He's off contract at the end of '23, whether he stays that long time will tell but I'd say Gus is already working behind the scenes for a marquee replacement. I notice Tapine is also off contract at the Raiders in '23 and he's on 50K less than Thompson and is regarded as one of the best, if not the best props, in the game.
There's a real feeling that he won't be back.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe but this is what Gus said at the end of that article,

Gould said the club was looking forward to welcoming the star prop back into the fold after a strong start to the season.

'Luke has been missing from our team over the past month due to a concussion event. Luke has had ongoing symptoms and we have been monitoring his return-to-play protocols,' he said.

'We are hoping this short break to visit his family will assist in his recovery. He should be good to go once he returns.'

The Bulldogs sit in 13th place on the ladder, and will no doubt be desperate to get arguably their most important forward back, once he is happy and healthy.

If he does return to Australia on July 8, the Bulldogs will have a round 17 bye before taking on the Rabbitohs on July 17.

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Wish him all the best with his private issues but is it telling that in the last few weeks that we have hit form and played some of our best football without him .

I rate him as a footballer , maybe overpriced but certainly not a weak link in our team and if he does come back it’s only a positive .

Either way , I see it as a win - win scenario for the club

Comes back and adds the quality to the forwards
Leaves and we have a chunk of money to invest on another quality player or upgrade existing ones

Malla

Reaction score
Maybe but this is what Gus said at the end of that article,

Gould said the club was looking forward to welcoming the star prop back into the fold after a strong start to the season.

'Luke has been missing from our team over the past month due to a concussion event. Luke has had ongoing symptoms and we have been monitoring his return-to-play protocols,' he said.

'We are hoping this short break to visit his family will assist in his recovery. He should be good to go once he returns.'

The Bulldogs sit in 13th place on the ladder, and will no doubt be desperate to get arguably their most important forward back, once he is happy and healthy.

If he does return to Australia on July 8, the Bulldogs will have a round 17 bye before taking on the Rabbitohs on July 17.
Because Gus said that then 100% confirmed Thompson is gone lol

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I know there’s a real feeling… we’ve all felt your repetitive posts for the past week about how Luke Thompson ran over your dog and you chased him to England and he’s not coming back

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because Gus said that then 100% confirmed Thompson is gone lol
Get off the juice. He has gone to the UK for family reasons, nothing has been reported about him leaving the club, at least not now. Nothing on the Bulldogs website or online. Nothing!

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Should have kept Paul Vaughan, he is way better than available names im reading.
We just need to see who is young coming through NSW Cup/QLD Cup and see who we can grab. I'm not sure any top shelf talent is available to plug in.

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope he is ok. I would rather any player having second thoughts about being here moves along to be honest as it’s not good for the club or individual.