Bulldogs Finals Chance Saviour: Holdsworth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
I cringe everytime i see the name holdsworth in the line up on tuesdays, But there is noone else.
i do aswell...i just wonder how many tries he will bomb or how many knocks he will have...i can barely watch tbh

I

iYike

So if Moore named Barba at six or seven you guys wouldn't even bother tuning in then?

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
mate im still going to the game either way....i refuse to throw in the towel at all...im not a fairweather fan hth

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So if Moore named Barba at six or seven you guys wouldn't even bother tuning in then?
No it wouldnt phase me, Id be happy with who ever moore selects and ill be at every game as i was last year and the 6 before that, If he picks barba then barba has done something right, But i cant see it hapning, Surely you cant throw a kid into the deep end at this stage of the comp, I have nothing against barba i hope he stays with the dogs and turns into a gun, But what i cant stand is people blowing their loads way to early on a kid that hasnt proven anything yet.

I

iYike

No it wouldnt phase me, Id be happy with who ever moore selects and ill be at every game as i was last year and the 6 before that, If he picks barba then barba has done something right, But i cant see it hapning, Surely you cant throw a kid into the deep end at this stage of the comp, I have nothing against barba i hope he stays with the dogs and turns into a gun, But what i cant stand is people blowing their loads way to early on a kid that hasnt proven anything yet.
Yea i agree he won't/shouldn't be selected now. But tbh I don't think he'd do any worse then Holdsworth. In the end Ennis and Roberts are going to do most of the kicking anyway, DJ will just have to pass and not **** up. Holdsworth is the safe option though.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
The thing that shiits me is that in the finals if the opposition put alot of pressure on holdsworth he will crumble badly. He has enough trouble catching the ball with the line wide open. Out of the 3 ( barba, holdsworth, stagg ) i would rather see stagg move in to the job, he has much safer hands than holdsworth and alot more experience. As for holdsworths so called organising skill im yet to see it......Holdsworth couldn't organise a f_ck in a brothel

WestieDog

Zambuck
Reaction score
All the Barba baggers go on about his poor defence - lots of halfbacks have single figure tackle numbers every game, and when we have a guy like Stagg who would tackle the cheerleaders as he ran on just to get extra practice Barba may not have to do any!

The things you can be certain of with Holdsworth - he WILL drop the ball in critical field position to let our opponents mount pressure; he WILL drop the ball when we are close to the opponents' line and break down the attack; he WILL direct 99% of kicks-in-play down the throat of of the opposing fullback (which will be a treat if that's Hayne, Slater or Stewart); and he WILL choke under pressure.

If we win through, it will be despite Holdsworth, not because of him (I have faith that we can, but he's a huge weight for the other guys to carry).

Guardog

You Dirty Dog
Reaction score
There are times in a players career that become a defining moment. For Holdsworth, I am hoping this is the moment. Every one and then, Daniel shows his talent. I have seen him miss simple tackles and then pull off some very strong defence. Ennis won't be moved. His Dummy-half play is important. Roberts ability to get to the outside of his man to set up his centres is also as vital. This means you will see Holdsworth in the Seven. Lets give this bloke all the encouragement we can muster.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
by all reports, barba didn't have a good game, he just had a good half which followed up an absolutely terrible half - sounds like dj at times, but i'm not interested in peoples argument for comparisons on this point, the point is barba is just as poor at putting in a good performance

but more importantly than anything else, moore has already been quoted as saying dj will likely get the nod next week, so we support him and try and lift him as best as possible

we don't smash him with personal insults, which is rife on this forum

criticism is fine, personal insults is not, the above mentioned info is all that counts

let's get behind him and lift his confidence :grinning:

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No time for the faint hearted. Holdsworth would not be my choice. He makes too many errors in both attack & defence. Holdsworth's can miss a few tackles so why not go for another attacking option and give Barba a chance at half. I noticed in the Bulls game yesterday he waited and looked to be loafing for a time and then injected himself to set up two tries. To me it demonstrated that he might just have twigged to knowing when the time is right in a game. Admittedly the comp is a bit like touch football at times compared to FG but JT stepped up when they last won a GF so just maybe Barba could do the same.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No time for the faint hearted. Holdsworth would not be my choice. He makes too many errors in both attack & defence. Holdsworth's can miss a few tackles so why not go for another attacking option and give Barba a chance at half. I noticed in the Bulls game yesterday he waited and looked to be loafing for a time and then injected himself to set up two tries. To me it demonstrated that he might just have twigged to knowing when the time is right in a game. Admittedly the comp is a bit like touch football at times compared to FG but JT stepped up when they last won a GF so just maybe Barba could do the same.
that view is understood and i agree to some extent, but i guess tadpole sees something similar to the other view

maybe we'll see stagg at half, eastwood at lock and barba off the bench week 1 of the finals, but i have my doubts

T

Toro

JT stepped up when they last won a GF so just maybe Barba could do the same.
That's because JT had spent more time in the lower grades to develop, and had played more first grade than Barba when he was called up for the finals series.

Comparing Barba to JT at this stage of Barba's career is just stupid.

Bull4life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Unfortunately i could not get to the game and was listening to 2UE. They were mentioning about a skinny bloke sitting on the bench in the 2004 grandfinal and he went on to be one of the best players in the game. Could this be the destiny for Barba? That was the question he put up. I agree he still has not proved himself but at the same time because he has not played much first grade, the opposition teams may not have studied him much. Kevvie has seemed to have done everything right this year, so no problems whoever he chooses

C

chipandchase

by all reports, barba didn't have a good game, he just had a good half which followed up an absolutely terrible half - sounds like dj at times, but i'm not interested in peoples argument for comparisons on this point, the point is barba is just as poor at putting in a good performance

but more importantly than anything else, moore has already been quoted as saying dj will likely get the nod next week, so we support him and try and lift him as best as possible

we don't smash him with personal insults, which is rife on this forum

criticism is fine, personal insults is not, the above mentioned info is all that counts

let's get behind him and lift his confidence :grinning:
i was at the game and watched the whole game
whenever we need something, Barba produced
he scored before half time, he scored another in the second half and also set up the 2 winning tries
what more can a kid do???
i agree with Holdsworth, but i would have him on the bench to play around 15 -20 minutes
Holdsworth can always move to lock when he comes on

Guard Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, how good would that be??? Do not fear any team, we can beat them all and to be the premiers you gotta go through them, so screw it....BRING EM ON
totally agree dude just play whos in front of you no fear no regrets!with noddy unavailable i hope teams underestimate the new breed of dogs which will be their downfall

Old Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He has been bagged all throughout his career. From his presence in a wooden-spoon winning team to his unusual halfback build. I myself have bagged him out throughout the year because of his trivial errors. These errors only come from a lack of confidence and fear of being smeared by the public. Last year has scarred him, his only chance to seek redemption has arrived. We have to realise, if we are going to make the GF we need to fully support Daniel Holdsworth and his abilities. This is the ultimate chance for him to show that he is no push-over, that he is a leader, that he is a first grade playmaker and that he can lead the Bulldogs into a GF. If he can do this I, and I am sure all Bulldogs supporters will praise his efforts and hail him a true unsung hero.

This is your chance Holdsworth, grasp it.
Why?

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hasnt been a good week for DJ's lol

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
he WILL direct 99% of kicks-in-play down the throat of of the opposing fullback (which will be a treat if that's Hayne, Slater or Stewart); and he WILL choke under pressure.
from what i ahve seen, DJ has an awesome lon gkicking game. vs the warriors the majority of his kicks found space

whippet_hound

HOT DOG
Reaction score
Personally I think we all need to give Holdsworth a little respect and encouragement to go out there and be the player he needs to be to get the team over the line.

Sure he may have made a few errors but seriously if I were to stand as spectator to anyone on this forum and bag the crap out of whatever you did or didnt do I am pretty sure there would be some performance issues stemming from the abuse.

Now is the time to suck up the insults, give encouragement and support every player out on the field for the next month of footy.

Status
Not open for further replies.