Bulldogs at sixes and sevens (Rugby League Writers)

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You know B-Train, sometimes people choose to be half glass empty instead of half glass full people and that is fine, they have to live with being like that. If people can’t see just how much we have improved this year considering we’ve been forced to use more players to play FG from our top 30 compared to any other team this year.

The funniest are those who have written us off already but there is only 2 points separating team 8th and team 16th atm, and it’s only round 8.

Let’s be realistic, we were never going to win against Parra,Souths and the Sharks with 7 players missing from our strongest 17 line up.
The thing is if you're going to say some of our wins don't count because other teams had players out etc then do the same when we're missing our whole pack and then lose Fox/Kiraz early in games which leads to massive reshuffles that get badly exposed. I'm not making excuses for those losses. We would have lost those games regardless. But I won't take anything away from our wins and the toughness we showed in those games either. Especially when for five seasons we haven't shown those qualities.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Entire sets inside their 20 where the centre touched it once as a link man. Needs to touch it 2-3 times a set if he wants to play half

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Only looking at who got the W or L is very small minded.

Storm missing Papenhuyzen, Olam, Coates, Munster, NAS went off early in 2nd stint, Kamikamica and other benchies. They were also massively out of form and obviously they aren't going to stay at that level (and haven't).

Cowboy missing Drinkwater, Tualagi, Cotter, Nanai and Leilua. Also massively out of form and most would assume they're going to be a much better team in a couple of months than they're now. We also didn't play well this game and almost threw the game. The last minutes of the game made it look better than it was.

Tiger win was bittersweet due to the 2nd half. We almost lost an impossible game to lose in front of a sold out Belmore and 99% of the fans being dogs (Tiger are the worst team in the competition).

We literally haven't had a good win yet. If fans are happy with what they're seeing not much has changed from last year. Eyes need to start opening, we're back to looking towards next year signings.
If you ask me if there is room for improvement I would agree,
But you my friend are too negative, a win is a win especially considering our circumstances...
Let's not forget Flopagain is still the real half, we might as well be playing with 12 men :(

Last edited:

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Storm missing Papenhuyzen, Olam, Coates, Munster, NAS went off early in 2nd stint, Kamikamica and other benchies. They were also massively out of form and obviously they aren't going to stay at that level (and haven't).

Cowboy missing Drinkwater, Tualagi, Cotter, Nanai and Leilua. Also massively out of form and most would assume they're going to be a much better team in a couple of months than they're now. We also didn't play well this game and almost threw the game. The last minutes of the game made it look better than it was.

Tiger win was bittersweet due to the 2nd half. We almost lost an impossible game to lose in front of a sold out Belmore and 99% of the fans being dogs (Tiger are the worst team in the competition).

We literally haven't had a good win yet. If fans are happy with what they're seeing not much has changed from last year. Eyes need to start opening, we're back to looking towards next year signings.
I wouldn't go as far as this post suggests but I do agree that we have been lucky with the timing of playing Storm and Cows.

Reality is, we weren't banking on winning those games anyway. Probably banked in beating Warriors and realistically deserved to win that game but we were dudded.

I think we are probably exactly where we thought we'd be at this stage of season. We have afew winnable games coming up and really need to win most of them otherwise we will need to beat better teams to stay on par with pre-season expectations.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So do I, it actually forced him to be more involved and may give him more confidence to take control of games.
Don't know what you and others think, but i have a feeling that CC has Burton playing at 7 because he has given up on either OK or Rajab becoming our permanet halves in the future,
Also he must know that Flanagun has to go ASAP for the team to have any chance of success, and both OK and Rajab would be much better 5/8's than the gun

GTOWN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Calling all Kennel Arm Chair coaching experts. Now is your time to pull this articke to pieces I call all of you to throw logic out the window only usinv your emotive side of the brain!!
20 posts in and no one has blamed Avo for us losing the game in a thread that has nothing to do with him? I find that strange….

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
20 posts in and no one has blamed Avo for us losing the game in a thread that has nothing to do with him? I find that strange….
Bloody Avo cost us the game dammit. [emoji23][emoji23]

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Fans setting the bar very low. We're contenders for the worst team in the competition this year (again). I would argue Tiger have had 2 performances better than us. If fans think Tiger are worse, fair, but 2nd worst not much better is it. All our wins have asterisks. It's mainly a cattle/selection problem tho.
Lol, Tripe Brad.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don't know what you and others think, but i have a feeling that CC has Burton playing at 7 because he has given up on either OK or Rajab becoming our permanet halves in the future,
Also he must know that Flanagun has to go ASAP for the team to have any chance of success, and both OK and Rajab would be much better 5/8's than the gun
Is it time ???
1 Papalii
6 Burton
7 Brown
9 Mahoney
14 Oloapu

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Must admit I jinxed the post.

I was looking forward.to the fireworks haha.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I said he should be there as soon as we signed him. I'm glad Ciraldo made the adjustment to get him more involved.
Shifting Burton to halfback sent a bigger message to Burton than it did to Flanagan so I'm happy Ciraldo made the call. Personally don't see him there long-term as I think he's severely lacking as a playmaker but for now it's the best move if it means he's going to play more direct and actually run the ball unlike he's been doing in the 6. Needs to increase his good ball touches and runs again this week though, maybe he has a new halves partner outside him this week too...

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Prefer Burton at 6 than 7.. still think at the moment hes an even better Centre than 5/8 or halfback..

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score

This is what I’ve been saying. So much sense.

I brought up the same topic almost word for word and all I got was ‘shut up you’re just south’s bias’

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Prefer Burton at 6 than 7.. still think at the moment hes an even better Centre than 5/8 or halfback..
Everyone knows he’s a better centre than playmaker but no one wants to upset him or cop the salary heat or not see his big bombs

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It was just yet another game that was winnable but we just throw games away. This time it was pretty much that we couldn't hold onto the ball.

The halves swapping around etc is just us waiting for CC to admit that Flanno and several other players shouldn't be in the team at all. While we wait for him to realise/have the balls to do something about it we can slowly see this season evaporate like we have in the many seasons before.

CC's team selections and bench use is ordinary. Very Tbaz like. IF we have to have Reynolds in the team why does old mate wait until the game is lost to put him on? Last week was a great example of that.

Waiting.......................................
Well yes. Better & close, but not quite good enough.
Nearly all teams that win, most usually grab at least 50%+ share possession & convert sets at or close to 80% or above. Even in a couple of very close matches, the losing teams are also not far from this benchmark.
To win regularly we need to convert sets at 80%+ & that will translate in to winning the 50%+ possession battle. Those big losses to South’s, Manly and Parra, all had our completion rates at or < 70% which translated to loss on possession share. We need to hang on to the ball and give ourselves a chance.
Our attack did look improved against Cronulla with the Burton/Flanno switch. Better completion rate >80% might well have delivered a win, or much closer loss for us.