News Bulldogs are not meant to finish last’: Big Willie back at Belmore

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i did the count and the 2006 broncos team for the preliminary final had 14 state of origin players and 2 more players who would go on to play state of origin in their 17

this is a formidable opposition except the shane perry part, we had some holes in the team by the time of the preliminary final, willie tonga was out injured, tony grimaldi was the glue in our side was injured/retired, so our centre pairing is emelio/ben roberts, asotasi straight into the starting lineup after being injured for 5 weeks, holdsworth injured during the game which was ok since we had roberts and maitua on the bench but its a man down and a further reshuffle

btw im still pissed off about that game though, brisbane got a bullshit obstruction try and brisbane got a couple of calls when we were down a try late and could have got back into, a missed high shot on sbw and a 6 again non call

2005 was an injury ravaged season so don't include that in your 2003-2006 report either
If you read my OP I said 3 or 4 comps in the 5 years between 2003 and 2007. This was to cater for the massive injuries in 2005. I left out 2002 because of salary cap DQ.
Did you ever wonder why we had so many injuries in 05 particularly SBW with multiple injuries as well as the entire forward pack? Because Folkes didn't use SBW appropriately. He was a lean, athletic 2nd rower ball playing forward but Folkes had him doing hit ups in the middle and getting smashed by props and gang tackles. He was doing regulary 1st hit ups to get us out of our own 20m zone. Those regularly 1st tackle hit ups should be done by your stocky and meat and potato forwards and not your star ball playing forward.
Look back at how our side played back then and it often depended on a star forward showing some individual brilliance and crashing through the defence. Tries were also heavily dependent on kicks from Shifty and Anasta. Folkes did not enhance the team with smart tactics, passing skills, formations and ball movement but relied on a player's physical strength and fitness. That style of football can only result in mass injuries over the long term. Team skills were not developed over time and injuries caught up with most of the players.
So even though Big Willie spews a lot of garbage he definitely had a point with his critique of Folkes coaching ability.
If you think I'm wrong can you explain why no other club approached Folkes for the head coach role even after the 04 GF when usually a premiership winning coach is in hot demand?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
If you read my OP I said 3 or 4 comps in the 5 years between 2003 and 2007. This was to cater for the massive injuries in 2005. I left out 2002 because of salary cap DQ.
Did you ever wonder why we had so many injuries in 05 particularly SBW with multiple injuries as well as the entire forward pack? Because Folkes didn't use SBW appropriately. He was a lean, athletic 2nd rower ball playing forward but Folkes had him doing hit ups in the middle and getting smashed by props and gang tackles. He was doing regulary 1st hit ups to get us out of our own 20m zone. Those regularly 1st tackle hit ups should be done by your stocky and meat and potato forwards and not your star ball playing forward.
Look back at how our side played back then and it often depended on a star forward showing some individual brilliance and crashing through the defence. Tries were also heavily dependent on kicks from Shifty and Anasta. Folkes did not enhance the team with smart tactics, passing skills, formations and ball movement but relied on a player's physical strength and fitness. That style of football can only result in mass injuries over the long term. Team skills were not developed over time and injuries caught up with most of the players.
So even though Big Willie spews a lot of garbage he definitely had a point with his critique of Folkes coaching ability.
If you think I'm wrong can you explain why no other club approached Folkes for the head coach role even after the 04 GF when usually a premiership winning coach is in hot demand?
no i can't explain why nobody offered folkes a coaching role, especially when people like nathan brown get a third chance, my theory is everybody is a retard, for example west tigers thought the top 4 seasons was because of something other than folkes and never made the finals since

in 2005 mason was injured on australia duty on that shitty american pitch, o meley injured on anzac test, i can't remember the sbw injuries but because you blamed folkes for the others im just going to assume you are full of shit, injuries happen in a game

mason backtracked on his comments a couple of years later when he sampled some fitler over coaching and he was also responding to folkes downplaying his importance after leaving, i actually hate coaches who think they can influence every part of the game or have their team running plays as if they are reading from a script, folkes did his job extremely well and we were a finely tuned machine with extremely high standards

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think SBW taking the first hit up was more to do with his work ethic rather than Folkes's coaching. I remember the commentator pointing it out when SBW made his test debut for the kiwis.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Phil Sigsworth is an arrogant dog. He was coaching me when I was playing for UTS Jets about 17 years ago and the guy had an ego the size of the sun. I never got along with him because I wasn't one to stroke his ego or his cock like the others probably were.
You should’ve reminded him that it’s not a good thing to be sent-off in a Grand Final and maybe his boots were a little too big :-).

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I love what Mase said. He has me fired up and ready to run through a brick wall.. Hopefully he can instill that passion into the team because we've been missing that desire for years as he said..

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
"I know the club, I know the DNA"

Big Willie knows the Bulldogs DNA

and the Sydney Roosters DNA, and the North Queensland Cowboys DNA and the Hull Kingston Rovers DNA and the Newcastle Knights DNA and the Manly Sea Eagles DNA and the Catalan Dragons DNA and the RC Toulonnais DNA.

That's a whole lot of DNA.
Hey D.

Yeah this is also my sentiment. Above all, I reckon Gus brought him in primarily coz he's a premiership winning Bulldog. I doubt he'll add anything new or useful at training.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil Gould and big willie, i think the 2 biggest reasons why we lost our dna in the first place outside of todd greenberg

gould commentary against parramatta in the semi in 2007 suggested that our style wasn't working anymore, because kristian inu or someone else smiled after he got hit, and willie mason comments about steve folkes not being a coach, i think these 2 situations led to folkes not being renewed beyong 2008 and he was the one who kept the standards high for the 2000's especially in players toughness and conditioning, see west tigers 2010 and 2011 seasons for more information

moore was doing ok especially with recruitment and hasler almost reaped the benefits of it with a title but by that time our club was based on an overrated baseball movie and hasler creating a set of analytics that showed that tolman was the best forward in the game, i liked tolman for his workrate but he was not the best forward in the game
I think we will be a power house again if we bring back Gary Warburton , hickey , yileen Gordon , and kris Keating

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alot of players in the past that play for the bulldogs and other clubs always seem to call themselves bulldogs once they retire. That says alot about the culture of our club(except the last 8 years)

Tomatoesoup

Waterboy
Reaction score
2 years ago pre COVID I was lucky enough to get invited to one of the sponsors boxes through a mutual friend. Hazem and Napa showed up half the topic of that 2004 team came up and his words were along the lines of we had the team to win 2-3 comps but the coaching wasn’t good we had to do it ourselves.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mason has that perfect blend of knowing what the club stands for and earning your stripes but also having that chip on your shoulder and backing your ability. I think guys like TPJ, Hetherington, Thompson and Vaughan will only benefit from working with Mase.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm was all positive about this until I heard him say that he was the reason TPJ and Vaughn signed... Kinda gives me an uneasy feeling maybe he did but kinda worries me he is in this to talk himself up rather than help get the club back to where it should be. I guess time will tell, maybe I'm over reacting.

PaulS

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
2002 2004 and 2006 were and should of been Bulldogs premiership years. Yes the 02 cap but 2006 we should never have lost to broncos after leading 20-6 at HT....
2005 was injury massacre, throw in Willie Tonga, asotasi and more that were injured in long patches...

Ribo Flavin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The only way Mason, Omelley, SBW should be allowed into a Bulldogs game is if they pay at the turnstile. They were quite within their rights to play for whoever they wanted, but they all shat on the club to justify their actions.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
He had 1 good season with the Roosters after he left us, then turned pretty ordinary after that. I don't know what he'll be able to do in a non-playing capacity.