News Bulldogs are not meant to finish last’: Big Willie back at Belmore

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He was gifted the best roster? He had nothing to do with it? Very disrespectful post and you should apologise within 24 hours

the 2006 preliminary final loss is against the Brisbane broncos of 2006, go through their roster and see if it was a given that we should win that game, I’ll give you a hint, webke coivonaceva however you spell his name, Lockyer, and maybe 10 other state of origin players
Agree, they were a stacked side

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You should’ve reminded him that it’s not a good thing to be sent-off in a Grand Final and maybe his boots were a little too big :-).
Dinkum, there’s alot I did say hence why we didn’t ever get along LOL. I’m not one to hold thoughts in and may have also said words to the effects of no one fucking cares about your stories that keep getting bigger and better everytime you tell them.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hmmm was all positive about this until I heard him say that he was the reason TPJ and Vaughn signed... Kinda gives me an uneasy feeling maybe he did but kinda worries me he is in this to talk himself up rather than help get the club back to where it should be. I guess time will tell, maybe I'm over reacting.
I watched the interview with Weidler and it seems that a lot of the interview featured Weidler putting words in Masons mouth. He virtually implanted the politics keeping him away fro the club statement as far as I'm concerned as well as a few other statements. I have a feeling that if Weidler had said pink tutus are in fashion for men now since you started wearing them, Mason would have proudly said he's a trend setter like that.

I'm not exactly sure what he's going to contribute around training either to be honest. I guess a big thing right now would be hoping that with so many new signings, there are enough people to smooth personality clashes. So maybe the intention is for Mason to offer a tension breaker.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
He was gifted the best roster? He had nothing to do with it? Very disrespectful post and you should apologise within 24 hours

the 2006 preliminary final loss is against the Brisbane broncos of 2006, go through their roster and see if it was a given that we should win that game, I’ll give you a hint, webke coivonaceva however you spell his name, Lockyer, and maybe 10 other state of origin players
What us - down to 1 player on the bench with 3 that were injured for the remainder of the game. No chance.

Also Brisbane only trailed by 14 points at halftime. 1 try is all they would've needed to get back in it - and they had an entire 40 mins to do it. Not exactly impossible.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
He wanted back years ago, at least he finally made it.
Maybe he could teach Hethrington to stop putting that swinging arm out and the rest of the squad ball security which he was good at.
Should bring the Ogre down for a visit too.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He had 1 good season with the Roosters after he left us, then turned pretty ordinary after that. I don't know what he'll be able to do in a non-playing capacity.
According to Mase in his interview he was asked by Koury to talk to both TPG and Vaughn and contributed to them signing with the dogs. So if that is at all true, he is already doing stuff.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I watched the interview with Weidler and it seems that a lot of the interview featured Weidler putting words in Masons mouth. He virtually implanted the politics keeping him away fro the club statement as far as I'm concerned as well as a few other statements. I have a feeling that if Weidler had said pink tutus are in fashion for men now since you started wearing them, Mason would have proudly said he's a trend setter like that.

I'm not exactly sure what he's going to contribute around training either to be honest. I guess a big thing right now would be hoping that with so many new signings, there are enough people to smooth personality clashes. So maybe the intention is for Mason to offer a tension breaker.
Of the things that Mason brings to any situation, one that stands out is that he is active, not passive. He doesn't need something to respond or react to, although he will react to something if need be. But he gets things going, he isn't a passive cog in a wheel, and he seems to be hard wired this way. Maybe that is what Koury and Gus are thinking in regards bringing him into the picture, that some of that will rub off and the team as a group will start being more active.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Hey D.

Yeah this is also my sentiment. Above all, I reckon Gus brought him in primarily coz he's a premiership winning Bulldog. I doubt he'll add anything new or useful at training.
Thanks SB.

Definitely couldn't say Willie was a one club man and he didn't leave the Dogs on the best of terms.

But like you said, he's a premiership winning Bulldog, so if that helps lift our 2022 squad a bit, it's worth a try.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Where's Hazem?
He likes putting his two cents in, we need those high balls to the wing.

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
"I know the club, I know the DNA"

Big Willie knows the Bulldogs DNA

and the Sydney Roosters DNA, and the North Queensland Cowboys DNA and the Hull Kingston Rovers DNA and the Newcastle Knights DNA and the Manly Sea Eagles DNA and the Catalan Dragons DNA and the RC Toulonnais DNA.

That's a whole lot of DNA.
And hes here to share his experiences and knowledge which is what we need as a club. Fantastic appointment!

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
And hes here to share his experiences and knowledge which is what we need as a club. Fantastic appointment!
Yes - agreed. I hope it's beneficial to the Bulldogs. I said that in my post immediately after the one you quoted

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It wasn't Inu as he didn't play for us until midway through 2012. Folkes was a great player and physical trainer but not a great coach. He was gifted with the best roster in the comp between 2003 to 2007 and only won 1 title. Mason's criticism was Folkes didn't teach the players anything other than fitness and the players sorted out the rest themselves and there's a considerable amount of truth to Mason's claim. Folkes even admitted that tactics were not his strength. It speaks for itself that after Folkes was sacked in 2008 no other NRL club approached him for a head coach role. If Wok, Robinson, Bellamy etc had that roster they would have won 3 or 4 comps during that period.
TBH a roster like that full of the egos needed someone to bash them into the ground physically at training more than fancy plays

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
It wasn't Inu as he didn't play for us until midway through 2012. Folkes was a great player and physical trainer but not a great coach. He was gifted with the best roster in the comp between 2003 to 2007 and only won 1 title. Mason's criticism was Folkes didn't teach the players anything other than fitness and the players sorted out the rest themselves and there's a considerable amount of truth to Mason's claim. Folkes even admitted that tactics were not his strength. It speaks for itself that after Folkes was sacked in 2008 no other NRL club approached him for a head coach role. If Wok, Robinson, Bellamy etc had that roster they would have won 3 or 4 comps during that period.
I think that was a strength of his coaching though. It made it hard to defend cause we played what you see footy. He just ensured the guys were fit enough to be there when it mattered. He would probably have gone very well coaching in this 6 again era with the style of footy he was promoting.