News Bulldogs are not meant to finish last’: Big Willie back at Belmore

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Remember bumping into good old Willie at St Patricks in the city on a Sunday night when he was all over the shop. Hahaha. Was a good laugh though.
I saw him once in the now gone meat market Scruffy Murphy’s. He was as drunk as ten Dean Martins, but things were more relaxed back then, today it’d be on sewer media in 5 seconds and cue the outrage.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also remember a game we played against the Rorters when Folkes was coaching us and the Rorters were very strong at the time and were red hot favourites to beat us as they had this umbrella defence at the time that was near impossible to penetrate, that was until they came up against us and Folkes came up with the game plan to kick in behind their line to offset this swarming defence as it had been very successful for them until then but we had Brent "Shifty" Sherwin kicking behind the line and Matt Utai flying through for us to score on one or two occasions.

We won in an upset and I couldn't have been any happier to beat the "Rorters", the team I detest more than any other.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Always has been who you blow oops know :-).
And before social media, camera phones etc. I’ve heard a number of older sports people say they’re glad that tech wasn’t around in their heyday - wonder why.
Players are angels now compared with players from decades ago
Without elaborating the stories I been told by a former player made the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I saw him once in the now gone meat market Scruffy Murphy’s. He was as drunk as ten Dean Martins, but things were more relaxed back then, today it’d be on sewer media in 5 seconds and cue the outrage.
Haha.

This particular night he was out with Shifty and Shane Marteene. Marteene was absolutely wankered in the middle of the dance floor with his shirt off rubbing up any woman close to him. For some reason I was buying Shifty bourbon and cokes all night like he couldn't afford it! And not once did the **** buy me a drink ;) Hahaha

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Phil Gould and big willie, i think the 2 biggest reasons why we lost our dna in the first place outside of todd greenberg

gould commentary against parramatta in the semi in 2007 suggested that our style wasn't working anymore, because kristian inu or someone else smiled after he got hit, and willie mason comments about steve folkes not being a coach, i think these 2 situations led to folkes not being renewed beyong 2008 and he was the one who kept the standards high for the 2000's especially in players toughness and conditioning, see west tigers 2010 and 2011 seasons for more information

moore was doing ok especially with recruitment and hasler almost reaped the benefits of it with a title but by that time our club was based on an overrated baseball movie and hasler creating a set of analytics that showed that tolman was the best forward in the game, i liked tolman for his workrate but he was not the best forward in the game
100% true.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Haha.

This particular night he was out with Shifty and Shane Marteene. Marteene was absolutely wankered in the middle of the dance floor with his shirt off rubbing up any woman close to him. For some reason I was buying Shifty bourbon and cokes all night like he couldn't afford it! And not once did the **** buy me a drink ;) Hahaha
Sherwin was an excellent decision maker on the field and off it as well

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Without elaborating the stories I been told by a former player made the hair stand up on the back of my neck.
There’s not much difference between modern and older players, there’s just a much greater chance of being caught and much tougher penalties to face these days than in days gone by.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I sold a car to Phil Sigsworth a few years ago and some of the stories he told me about players from the 80s were nuts

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I sold a car to Phil Sigsworth a few years ago and some of the stories he told me about players from the 80s were nuts
Phil Sigsworth is an arrogant dog. He was coaching me when I was playing for UTS Jets about 17 years ago and the guy had an ego the size of the sun. I never got along with him because I wasn't one to stroke his ego or his cock like the others probably were.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Phil Sigsworth is an arrogant dog. He was coaching me when I was playing for UTS Jets about 17 years ago and the guy had an ego the size of the sun. I never got along with him because I wasn't one to stroke his ego or his cock like the others probably were.
He seemed pretty cool to me. Then again I only interacted with him for maybe 4 or 5 hours total.

Had no idea who he was until the day he came to pick up his car and the old yardie recognised him. Ended up telling him how im a crazy dogs fan and had abit of a chat. Went home and told my dad about it and he goes "yeah the dickhead that almost killed brett kenny"

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Haha.

Sherwin the tight arse lmao

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He was gifted the best roster? He had nothing to do with it? Very disrespectful post and you should apologise within 24 hours

the 2006 preliminary final loss is against the Brisbane broncos of 2006, go through their roster and see if it was a given that we should win that game, I’ll give you a hint, webke coivonaceva however you spell his name, Lockyer, and maybe 10 other state of origin players
The only thing to change is that he had the best roster for several years. As for 2006, even Webke said at the time the Dogs had the best side in 2005 and 2006. The main advantage the Brisbane side in 2006 had over ours was Lockyer. Our team was still stacked with stars and rep players - SBW, Big Willie, Ogre, Ryan, Asotasi, Myles, General, Tonga, Shifty, Reni, Utai, El Masri and co.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whilst I agree with some of what you are saying I dont think we had the best roster between 2003 and 2007. It was more like 2002 to 2005.

The decision to let Thurston walk in 2004 and then Anasta walk in 2005 put a big hole in our squad. Lets not forget we had Daniel Holdsworth at five eighth in 2006 and 2007.

Yes had strong squads in 2006 and 2007 but they were not the strongest in the comp. Go back and have a look at that Broncos team in 2006 that beat us. We had a great lead and should have won but they blokes like Lockyer, Hodges, Webcke, Civonceiva, Tate, Berrigan, Hunt, etc. I dont think our overall roster was better than them especially with Holdsworth at five eighth.
Webke said at the time when interviewed that the Dogs had the best side in 2005 and 2006. The main advantage the Brisbane side in 2006 had over ours was Lockyer. Our team was still stacked with stars and rep players - SBW, Big Willie, Ogre, Ryan, Asotasi, Myles, General, Tonga, Shifty, Reni, Utai, El Masri and co. I don't rate Holdsworth overall but he was decent in 06.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
The only thing to change is that he had the best roster for several years. As for 2006, even Webke said at the time the Dogs had the best side in 2005 and 2006. The main advantage the Brisbane side in 2006 had over ours was Lockyer. Our team was still stacked with stars and rep players - SBW, Big Willie, Ogre, Ryan, Asotasi, Myles, General, Tonga, Shifty, Reni, Utai, El Masri and co.
i did the count and the 2006 broncos team for the preliminary final had 14 state of origin players and 2 more players who would go on to play state of origin in their 17

this is a formidable opposition except the shane perry part, we had some holes in the team by the time of the preliminary final, willie tonga was out injured, tony grimaldi was the glue in our side was injured/retired, so our centre pairing is emelio/ben roberts, asotasi straight into the starting lineup after being injured for 5 weeks, holdsworth injured during the game which was ok since we had roberts and maitua on the bench but its a man down and a further reshuffle

btw im still pissed off about that game though, brisbane got a bullshit obstruction try and brisbane got a couple of calls when we were down a try late and could have got back into, a missed high shot on sbw and a 6 again non call

2005 was an injury ravaged season so don't include that in your 2003-2006 report either